Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 12:42:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingStar Co.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Star Co.  (Read 425 times)
Justin_Wang123
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2015, 11:40:11 AM »

Hi Everyone!

I just finished my new game Star Co. and I'd like some feedback on it. All suggestions or criticism are welcome and very appreciated. I'm especially concerned with the difficulty curve across the levels and just the general level of intuitiveness (does the game need more instructions or prompts?).

Game Overview:
Trade, fight, harvest and explore the stars in this science fiction role playing game. You are an independent star ship captain and sole owner of Star Co. a (currently) broke start up company looking to enter the lucrative space industry. By completing contracts you will gain experience, develop your characters skills, earn credits, upgrade your ship, and gradually build your companies net worth.

Game URL:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Justin_wang123/star-co

Screen Shots:

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 11:55:12 AM by Justin_Wang123 » Logged
Ramus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 11:03:17 AM »

Hey there, I've played your game for about 15 minutes. Here's what I've got so far:
- When I select a contract on the board I don't get confirmation it's been selected. I have the feeling it is highlighted, but not selected.
- First time out, easy enough to find out how to harvest ore.
- Got red -1's. Not sure what's been hitting me. Killed closest enemies. Shooting was confusing until I saw the cooldown.
- Got green -1's took me a minute to realise that's the asteroids hitting my shields.
- I don't know how far along my shield is with recharging.
- I miss sound effects! Please add some, they're fun and help a lot with understanding what's happening.
- I feel like the game's pace is quite slow. It's a little challenging, but it could be harder.

Apart from that: the visuals work, I know what asteroids, ships, stations and repair depots are. The health, shield, fuel , level and cargo space "properties" work and have a real function in the game. Moving around with the ship is fun, although I feel you should be able to go a little faster at the start.

I had fun playing and I'd like to play again when you've improved it!

Shigatosis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 01:39:04 PM »

This actually seems very promising, but the lack of sound effects and music REALLY killed it for me. I guarantee you this game would be twice as fun to play if you included even the most basic auditory feedback. If you weren't already aware, http://www.bfxr.net/ is a very easy-to-use website for video game sound effects. Hope this helps!
Justin_Wang123
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:16:31 AM »

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! I've added sound effects in the latest update and fixed a couple of little issues and bugs.

Ramus: For the next update I'll add a text bar at the bottom of the board that goes from contracted selected: none to contracted selected: trade 1 or whatever, hopefully that will clear that up. I've also got a system that contextually pops up help such as when you fire your engines for a long time. I'll use that to alert the player to taking damage from asteroids the first time it happens. I'll have to think a bit about how I can easily represent shield recharging.

Shigatosis: Thanks for the link! I played around with that for longer then I care to admit. Eventually I decided to just cave though and grab a proper sound pack. I've got a bunch of sounds now so I'm gonna look into adding more over time where they seem appropriate.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic