Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:52:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsNew Studio Looking for Talented Leaders
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New Studio Looking for Talented Leaders  (Read 887 times)
Sanmyaku
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2015, 05:42:58 PM »

Sanmyaku Entertainment Inc. is looking for incredibly talented leaders to manage the development of its first game and become the studio’s backbone for future projects.
The main focus at Sanmyaku is to create the perfect work environment for creativity and innovation. This will only be accomplished by hiring only highly skilled and confident people who are capable of working as a group and supporting one another.
The selected leaders will be working closely with the Founder/Designer and the other team leads and staff towards polishing the game design. They will also be responsible for planning and executing a development strategy for the game, delegating tasks, meeting time lines and ultimately accomplishing a successful game launch.
These leadership positions are based on a flat hierarchy and will provide direct ownership of one or more key gameplay features and systems, right through from the initial technical design to final in-game implementation.
This posting is for mature leaders with lots of energy who want to be empowered and have a large role in producing great games!

THE GAME
For cost efficiency and business purpose, a Mobile RPG will be developed in the Unity engine. It will be inspired on other Dungeon Crawling and Monster Collection RPGs, but these will be the only unchangeable features for the game design. Everything else on the GDD will be discussed and decided as a group.

Name: TBD
Engine: Unity Platform: IOS/Android
Rating: E10

- Game Outline:
Character Creation: To create a new character, players will choose a Race, such as Fire and Water, and a Class related to that particular race, such as Flaming for Fire and Ice for Water. As characters develop, they gain various talents and skills, limited to the Race and Class, requiring the player to further define the abilities of that character. In this way, character classes are used in specific roles within a group.
Combat: Combat will be turn-based. Players will control a group of up to four characters in third- person view fighting various monsters on specific locations of the map, usually forest and dungeons. Strategy will be intense and Group Formation and Equipment will make the difference. Quests/Exploration: Characters will have to accept quests and interact with non-player characters (NPCs). Quests will reward the player with a combination of experience points, items, and in-game money. Quests will be the only way players will explore new areas in the world. Dungeons will also be explored, as players win fights inside them.
Market Place: Characters can choose from a variety of professionals, such as Tailors and Blacksmiths, to have their apparel and other items crafted or repaired. Players can also sell items and materials to other players on an auction house system.
Guild: Characters may form and join guilds, allowing characters within the guild access to guild features including guild raids, where each player controls one character in a group (Semi Real-Time Strategy).
PVP: Players will choose from a variety of mechanisms for PVP play like Battlegrounds and Arenas.
- Unique Selling Point:
• MMORPG feeling
• Equipment Collection
• Mobile Economy System
• Equipment and Skill Tree diversity
• Different Combat Style choices
• Battle Strategy focused on Group Formation and Equipment
• Multiple game endings based on player’s performance and choices
• Meaningful Guild Support
- Similar competitive products:
Final Fantasy Series, Summoners War, Heroes Charge

COMPENSATION
A Post-Launch Compensation will be used where the position holder is rewarded a percentage of the profits. Profits of the game will be shared equally until all time invested in the game development is paid off.  It will be calculated using industry standards, but as an overtime rate.

REQUIREMENTS
  • Must be 20 years of age or older
  • Must have own computing equipment to work on
  • Willing to work a minimum of 15 hours per week, plus attend a weekly 2 hour meeting
  • Willing to sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA)

POSITIONS

Lead Writer/Community Manager
Responsibilities
  • To analyze and critique all aspects of the game design and game development, from naming to testing
  • To develop the entire game universe and story based on design requirements
  • To develop and oversee all written content for the game: dialogues, menus, quests, etc.
  • Collaborate with designers to provide fiction/writing support for new features
  • Identify opportunities and push new avenues for the storytelling experience
  • To establish and/or maintain technical and aesthetic guidelines
  • To help develop marketing and other written material for the studio
  • To submit reports to the Project Management Team periodically
Qualifications:
  • Must have experience creating and implementing narrative story content in published projects
  • Must have a passion for playing video games and good instincts for game design
  • Must have 3-5 years of work experience in the same field
  • Proven demonstrable leadership skills
  • Exceptional team player with the ability to work cross functionally to achieve results
  • Exemplary story writing, verbal communication and organizational skills
  • Strong research, problem solving and analytical skills
  • Ability to work under pressure, self-motivated and can prioritize tasks

Lead Artist
Responsibilities:
  • To analyze and critique all aspects of the game design and game development, from naming to testing
  • Serve as technical adviser to management and provide efficient ideas on requirements
  • Oversee the entire visual art development from concept to implementation, including: characters, environments, GUIs, menus, icons, cinematics, etc.
  • To create and lead the art team
  • To delegate work and ensure that the art project comes in consistent and on schedule
  • To mentor and inspire other team artists
  • To develop the style for the game art
  • To help develop marketing materials for the studio
Qualifications
  • Must be experienced with and able to oversee development of mobile RPG multi-player games, using the Unity engine
  • Must have experience designing for iOS, Android, or other mobile platforms
  • Must have Lead Art experience on published projects
  • Must have a passion for playing video games and good instincts for game design
  • Proven demonstrable leadership skills
  • Exceptional team player with the ability to work cross functionally to achieve results
  • Exceptional communication and organizational skills
  • Experience with web design and web development is an asset

Lead Programmer
Responsibilities:
  • Serve as technical adviser to management and provide efficient programming solutions on requirements
  • Oversee the entire software development, both server-side and client-side
  • To create and lead the game programming team
  • To delegate work and ensure that the software project comes in on schedule
  • To mentor and inspire other team programmers
  • To develop the underlying software architecture for the program
  • To implement online services and in house tools
Qualifications:
  • Must be experienced with and able to oversee development of mobile RPG multi-player games, using the Unity engine  
  • Must have Lead game programming experience on published projects
  • Have passion for playing video games and good instincts for game design
  • Proven and demonstrable leadership skills
  • Exceptional communication and organizational skills

Please email your cover letter addressing how you meet the needs of the position, a resume, and a summary of your experience in confidence to [email protected]. We thank all applicants who have shown an interest in our studio, however, only selected candidates will be contacted.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 10:41:53 AM by Sanmyaku » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 05:44:54 PM »

leader in a flat hierarchy is like an oxymoron

Sanmyaku
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 06:44:25 PM »

We are looking for people who can lead without the need of position or power. Leaders who can get people to follow them through their ideas or the ability of convincing others to do what they think is right.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 06:46:35 PM »

So basically you're looking for a person with leadership, not a proper leader?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 06:52:02 PM »

I would use the word "champion", championing new ideas

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 07:00:11 PM »

you must have 3-5 years experience to work for free for my company that has never made a game before, has no website, and doesn't reveal any info about how much of a team is already in place.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 07:08:25 PM »

Damn I haven't seen the years requirement  Big Laff
But however a lot of thing already raise alarm, like funding and salaries, or even actual project pitch to show they have done some work already, it's literally work for me for free Shrug

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 07:29:48 PM »

COMPENSATION
A Post-Launch Compensation will be used where the position holder is rewarded a percentage of the profits. Profits of the game will be shared equally until all time invested in the game development is paid off.  It will be calculated using industry standards, but as an overtime rate.

I think it's trying to communicate.

sonder
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 07:40:07 PM »

Hand Thumbs Down Right
sonder
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 07:42:35 PM »

We are looking for people who can lead without the need of position or power. Leaders who can get people to follow them through their ideas or the ability of convincing others to do what they think is right.

A team without structure is bound to end in tears
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 10:04:59 PM »

like valve and many other

sonder
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 11:47:32 PM »

valve has structure, if they have job roles and responsibilities and design documents they have it.  i didn't mean vertical hierarchy just delegation, final say.

tbh i didn't read OP that much at all and i see now that they basically described the ideal situation (minus the proper pay) so i'm gonna back out of this discussion...   Hand Money Left Hand Money Right
Sanmyaku
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 06:29:12 AM »

valve has structure, if they have job roles and responsibilities and design documents they have it.  i didn't mean vertical hierarchy just delegation, final say.

tbh i didn't read OP that much at all and i see now that they basically described the ideal situation (minus the proper pay) so i'm gonna back out of this discussion...   Hand Money Left Hand Money Right

I am, indeed, trying to follow Valve's footprints with the same structure they currently have. They started moving in this direction only after the success of Half Life. The goal here is not to sell a game idea but a work environment. I do believe that are lots of experienced professionals out there looking for an opportunity to be part of a team instead of working for one. I am not looking to hire someone that can land paying gigs but someone who is current not satisfied with his/her working situation and would be willing to invest in a potential better future career.
I have spent 2 years creating the game design focusing not only on the game itself but also in the business behind it. I have never wanted to have people working for me but with me. That is why my design will be only a guide. Everything in it will be open for discussion among the team.
Also, I am 36 and I have 3 business on my own. I don’t want to or have the time to just launch a game for the fun of it. I am looking to start a studio where people are happy and excited to wake up in the morning to go to work.
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 08:44:17 AM »

i am very happy and excited to wake up in the morning to go to work for no money. i love not being able to pay my bills.

how do you fit into this situation? do you offer anything other than an idea? anything more than the possibility of a rag-tag team of devs trying to fit together?

because without any evidence to the contrary, it sounds like you want people to make your game idea for you for free.

you might be 36 and wrote a "professional" job listing, but it's just as unprofessional as the posts by 12 year olds who want people to work on their designs for free. honestly, it's misleading. you are able to write a bunch of the same hiring jargon that exists on every listing in existence, fully expecting to be picky about who you choose to work with when you literally offer NOTHING.

Sanmyaku
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 09:18:20 AM »

i am very happy and excited to wake up in the morning to go to work for no money. i love not being able to pay my bills.

how do you fit into this situation? do you offer anything other than an idea? anything more than the possibility of a rag-tag team of devs trying to fit together?

because without any evidence to the contrary, it sounds like you want people to make your game idea for you for free.

you might be 36 and wrote a "professional" job listing, but it's just as unprofessional as the posts by 12 year olds who want people to work on their designs for free. honestly, it's misleading. you are able to write a bunch of the same hiring jargon that exists on every listing in existence, fully expecting to be picky about who you choose to work with when you literally offer NOTHING.

This is an part-time opportunity for someone willing to invest time in a business he/she believe in. In no way I want people to work for free all the time. I started my businesses working part-time because like everyone else I had to work full-time to pay my bills. Now I have a group of people that I work with who take pride on what they produce and are happy to wake up in the morning and work for money every single day. Like I said before, this is not about the game but about the business. I have met lots of people who understand and appreciate what I am offering.

I think if you google "Valve Handbook" and read it you would understand more about what is being offered here. I think I have the game that would be for Sanmyaku what Half Life was for Valve. But the point is to have everybody involved in the development of this game taking ownership of it and filling the same way I do. It is no different than crowdfunding or stock shares. You invest your money expecting a future return. The only difference is that I am not asking for any money, I am asking for time.
sonder
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 09:25:07 AM »

i really have the best intentions when i say that you are going about this backwards.  you need to build hype for your game idea and make friends FIRST.  and if that failed you would need to move on to another idea, fast.  but in this case there isn't even a game idea, your only idea is basically "hey guys wouldn't it be great to have flat team roles."  no one can believe in you enough to sacrifice a large chunk of their lives over such a tiny little nothing.  everyone is looking for good ideas and good prospects.  this proposal has neither.
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 09:51:01 AM »

AGAIN, you completely dance around the issue.

WHERE DO YOU FIT IN? Do you program? Do you do art? If you are only running the business, do you even really offer anything when the business makes no money? Are you literally only an idea? You are asking for 3-5 years experience, what is your level of experience in games?

I fully understand what you offer. I don't need to google the Valve Handbook. The reason I don't and no one should appreciate your offer is because I believe everyone is better investing in themselves than you. Why should people trust you when you haven't proven yourself? Why should I believe or anyone believe in you?

If they are gonna work for free, literally everyone on this forum would be better served finding a partner to share the burden with. This is the problem with your "professionalism". It's misleading. An ad by a 16 year old asking for a partner to make games with is more honest and upfront. You are hiding behind jargon when really you're just saying "Work for me for free, it's supposedly a flat hierarchy but most likely I'm the one in charge even though I don't know what I'm doing."

Sanmyaku
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 09:57:51 AM »

i really have the best intentions when i say that you are going about this backwards.  you need to build hype for your game idea and make friends FIRST.  and if that failed you would need to move on to another idea, fast.  but in this case there isn't even a game idea, your only idea is basically "hey guys wouldn't it be great to have flat team roles."  no one can believe in you enough to sacrifice a large chunk of their lives over such a tiny little nothing.  everyone is looking for good ideas and good prospects.  this proposal has neither.

Here is my One Page GDD:

Name: TBD
Engine: Unity Platform: IOS/Android
Rating: E10

- Game Outline:
Character Creation: To create a new character, players will choose a Race, such as Fire and Water, and a Class related to that particular race, such as Flaming for Fire and Ice for Water. As characters develop, they gain various talents and skills, limited to the Race and Class, requiring the player to further define the abilities of that character. In this way, character classes are used in specific roles within a group.
Combat: Combat will be turn-based. Players will control a group of up to four characters in third- person view fighting various monsters on specific locations of the map, usually forest and dungeons. Strategy will be intense and Group Formation and Equipment will make the difference. Quests/Exploration: Characters will have to accept quests and interact with non-player characters (NPCs). Quests will reward the player with a combination of experience points, items, and in-game money. Quests will be the only way players will explore new areas in the world. Dungeons will also be explored, as players win fights inside them.
Market Place: Characters can choose from a variety of professionals, such as Tailors and Blacksmiths, to have their apparel and other items crafted or repaired. Players can also sell items and materials to other players on an auction house system.
Guild: Characters may form and join guilds, allowing characters within the guild access to guild features including guild raids, where each player controls one character in a group (Semi Real-Time Strategy).
PVP: Players will choose from a variety of mechanisms for PVP play like Battlegrounds and Arenas.
- Unique Selling Point:
• MMORPG feeling
• Equipment Collection
• Mobile Economy System
• Equipment and Skill Tree diversity
• Different Combat Style choices
• Battle Strategy focused on Group Formation and Equipment
• Multiple game endings based on player’s performance and choices
• Meaningful Guild Support
- Similar competitive products:
Final Fantasy Series, Summoners War, Heroes Charge
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 10:28:27 AM by Sanmyaku » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 10:03:31 AM »

Plus if you have 5 years of experiences, chance are that you have some network or idea of your own. It's better to team with people you know and have work with than a complete stranger that add little value. Because there is no guarantee the project works and generate profit in a saturated market and in a saturated genre (hence no need for a nda), no matter how good you think the idea is. Espoecially with such a generic description that hint at no differentiating element and "wow factor".

Cultural project (hence video games) are a very different beast that other business like goods and services, it's much more fleeting as fast changing trend dictate success, not "just" quality assuming you manage to create that, and even quality is a fleeting and relative notion compare to other domain in cultural setting.

Game is never a good stable business, especially now.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 10:41:51 AM »

- Unique Selling Point:
• MMORPG feeling

(from dictionary.reference.com)

unique
[yoo-neek]

adjective
existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics:
a unique copy of an ancient manuscript.
having no like or equal; unparalleled; incomparable:
Bach was unique in his handling of counterpoint.
limited in occurrence to a given class, situation, or area:
a species unique to Australia.
limited to a single outcome or result; without alternative possibilities:
Certain types of problems have unique solutions.
not typical; unusual:
She has a very unique smile.
noun
the embodiment of unique characteristics; the only specimen of a given kind:
The unique is also the improbable.

I don't think it adds up guys.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic