Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:36:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVogonTennis (pong with planets)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: VogonTennis (pong with planets)  (Read 810 times)
EmilMeiton
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2015, 05:50:41 AM »

So.., I and some nice people (Andreas, John, Alberto and Johan to be specific) made a prototype over the weekend at a GameJam

Here's a gameplay video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3daAMm9GJA&feature=youtu.be

For now, here's a buggy but playable version of the game in webgl (warning, sound could be quite loud):

emilmeiton.com/VogonTennis/index.html

We liked it so much that we're working on it still after the jam!

stay tuned for updates...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 12:16:26 PM by Telephant » Logged
BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 06:10:31 AM »

This is awesome!

EmilMeiton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 11:10:31 PM »

Thanks BlackseaOdyssey!

Here's a link to a public voting for the games made during the GameJam:
http://kinggamejam.king.com/games/game-jam/public-vote

It's probably more stable to test out that version rather than the webgl one
beeglebug
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 12:03:09 AM »

Very cool game! One thing I did notice is that the space bar works on all the buttons except the "Go" button on the controls page, which means I had to use the mouse instead of just hammering space to play again.

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 04:57:01 AM »

to be honest, it does not seem like a very good multiplayer game. there is no way (as far as I could tell) to actually target and make a point. but it might be good as a single player, where one player uses both panels and has to destroy something in the middle?

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 07:09:30 AM »

Pretty good for a jam game. It's actually really nice how (to human eyes) unpredictably the gravity affects things.

I wish there was a way to put this more positively, but I think five obviously talented people could do much more interesting things than a Pong rework, after the jam. Don't put more time into this.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Cryssalid
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 01:29:28 AM »

Hi all! I'm one of the dudes that made the game with Telephant. Nice to see some feedback for our game, positive and negative! As my first post on this forum I thought I'd answer to some of it Smiley

This is awesome!

Thanks BlackseaOdyssey! We all kind of love this little game and would like it to evolve further.

Very cool game! One thing I did notice is that the space bar works on all the buttons except the "Go" button on the controls page, which means I had to use the mouse instead of just hammering space to play again.

This is a good point, we wanto to completely rework how the menus work and how the game sets up levels (since it's all very gamejam-hacky at the moment), and quick access to replay is a great thing to keep in mind, thanks!

to be honest, it does not seem like a very good multiplayer game. there is no way (as far as I could tell) to actually target and make a point. but it might be good as a single player, where one player uses both panels and has to destroy something in the middle?

Two paddles is an interesting idea. During development we sometimes would test the game like this, with both paddles being controlled by the same keys. It's possible there might be something fun there. I'll look into it! Why I think it really works as a multiplayer game is that the competitiveness of players really makes a lot more fun. And you can influence the bounce of the ball, especially once the slowmo-mechanic kicks in!

Pretty good for a jam game. It's actually really nice how (to human eyes) unpredictably the gravity affects things.

I wish there was a way to put this more positively, but I think five obviously talented people could do much more interesting things than a Pong rework, after the jam. Don't put more time into this.

Thanks starsrift! You actually sort of touched on one of my favourite things about the game. Yes the physics seem unpredictable  at first and while they never become entirely predictable, it's cool how over time you do get a sense of how things are going to bounce, until a sudden slingshot around the sun completely undoes all your grand plans.

As for the second part of your comment, I understand what you mean, but for a lot of us this is something we want to work on in our spare time as a fun thing. A lot of us work in games/tech during the day and it's fun to kick back and work on a small fun project after work.

Wow this turned out much longer than I thought. Sorry about the wall of text everyone! Smiley
EmilMeiton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 12:09:19 PM »

Implemented some "hyperspace" background (stars moving from the center out) in the background shader.

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 02:05:41 PM »

Now this is a great pong remake idea!!

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
EmilMeiton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 01:32:35 AM »

Thanks Xonatron!

starsrift, I understand your point of view but as you mention we are five talented guys and I'm just going to ride the wave of interest the team has shown instead of risking it all by trying to do something completely different. On a more constructive note maybe we can adjust it slightly to be something new and fancier without losing team spirit. Say for instance a fancy single player experience with this game at it's core? If not then I think it's a realy nice portfolio piece that we're assembling Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic