Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:57:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignQuestion about scoring in my game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Question about scoring in my game  (Read 811 times)
IonForceStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 09, 2015, 02:45:45 AM »

Hi,

I have to you question about scoring in my game.
Few words about this project. The game is based on River Raid, so you have to fly and destroy enemies on your way, there is also few addons:
1) currency is coins
2) player can unlock many characters to play,
3) player can upgrade enemies, they can be faster and player can get more point for destroy them

I have got two ideas of scoring:
1) 2 separate scores.
The first is the distance you have traveled for those who want to see how far they can go without dying.
The second score are the points you get from defeating enemies and destroying objects in the game. You can max out the score by buying additional enemies in the enemy upgrade menu.

2) One score which is sum of points for destroying enemies and the distance you traveled. In this way if player want to score better, he have to upgrade enemies, and ofcourse he need more coins.

The problem with type 1) is that if somebody wants to fly far he will not upgrade enemies (becouse upgraded enemies are faster and it is harder to play). Finally he don't need more coins... imo

What do you thing about it? Which option is better? Thanks for any opinion and advices!

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 06:53:11 AM »

Make a combined score, apply a modifier to the amount of points per distance traveled based on enemy difficulty.
That way, traveling further gives more points with harder enemies - the only that COULD be done is avoid enemies, I suppose? I'm not that familiar with the genre.
Carpetwurm
Level 0

Nobody

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 11:29:13 AM »

Maybe just make a score based on killing enemies, and have harder enemies spawn based on the distance or time you've been playing.

A score modifier would come in handy, too, maybe make it based off the distance you've traveled. For example: Every 500 Meters (or whatever unit of measurement you're using) you could add a x1 score modifier.

>Forum signatures
>[current year]
Xeffi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 05:41:29 AM »

It might be better to change the score modifier based on how difficult the enemies are. Your score should maybe count up linearly with distance traveled, with a modifier based on the current enemy difficulty level.

I'm also normally against having two separate scores as it tends to become confusing and detract.

Hope that helps  Smiley

Dev blog at: beard-dev.tumblr.com
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 10:34:23 AM »

What is the core aspect of the game you want to focus on, the fighting system, or the survival system? That's the question you have to ask yourself now, because your scoring system should reflect mastery of your game.

I would recommend breaking the game into levels, then give a bonus based similar to fighting games: how fast did you complete the stage, and how much health do you have remaining?

Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 12:46:18 PM »

It seems that your current distance scoring is counter to the idea of "buying enemies" which would make the game more difficult to get further. As said before, you could factor in a modifier to the distance based on enemy "difficulty" based on the tier of enemies you have bought to incentivize buying new enemies to get a higher score. Still, it seems counter intuitive to me. You might want to test the idea of buying enemies out (if you have not already) to see if its even fun (to me the idea of buying enemies is kind of strange, especially in a shooter based on distance). Traditionally, getting far in a game and seeing new enemies has a surprise and discovery value, plus mastery as you learn all the enemies. Buying them might take away some of that, in addition to needing its own system to be coded in. Or, maybe you have invented a new genre! Good luck!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic