Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 12:29:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs- DIMENSIONS - A Story About Travel Between Worlds
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: - DIMENSIONS - A Story About Travel Between Worlds  (Read 2471 times)
MDevotchka
Level 0

Creator of Dimensions

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2015, 11:42:35 AM »

Hello everyone,

welcome to Dimensions's devlog.  Beer! I am the one man army(jk) who behind this project also an art student and this is my first game development experiment. Dimensions is art based platformer rpg. I am planning to update the topic everyday or two. Hope you like it.  Smiley

A cover for game

Main Menu - First Stages

Accessible Buildings - First Stages

« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:08:41 PM by MDevotchka » Logged

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:56:39 AM »

Interesting! Following.

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 12:49:25 PM »

I see what you did there with that movie poster text... Giggle

But seriously, those screenshots look beautiful. Will be interesting to see what this is actually about.
MDevotchka
Level 0

Creator of Dimensions

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 01:01:10 PM »

I see what you did there with that movie poster text... Giggle

But seriously, those screenshots look beautiful. Will be interesting to see what this is actually about.

Hehe. Well, everyone need some kind of motivation i guess   Grin or you can say me "you have really bad humor."

By the way, thanks for kind words man.  Coffee

Interesting! Following.

Thanks for following this project. I am honored.  Gentleman

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 05:43:34 AM »

Looks very interesting, what's the game about, in terms of story?

The visuals look very pretty, and painterly, but I think the best elements of it are the environmental effects, the clouds moving, the birds, the lighting changes, the leaf-particles moving close to the camera... it's that stuff that makes the levels feel alive, rather than looking like a static painting, so, well done! I'm looking forward to seeing some more of that.

Looking at the level you've posted, I wonder if the character blends a bit much into the background? It's obviously hard for me to tell whether that's a problem based on a single screenshot, and without the player moving around, but I wonder if the brown-y/beige like colours of the background and foreground are a little too close, in brightness?

MDevotchka
Level 0

Creator of Dimensions

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 08:08:31 AM »

Looks very interesting, what's the game about, in terms of story?

The visuals look very pretty, and painterly, but I think the best elements of it are the environmental effects, the clouds moving, the birds, the lighting changes, the leaf-particles moving close to the camera... it's that stuff that makes the levels feel alive, rather than looking like a static painting, so, well done! I'm looking forward to seeing some more of that.

Looking at the level you've posted, I wonder if the character blends a bit much into the background? It's obviously hard for me to tell whether that's a problem based on a single screenshot, and without the player moving around, but I wonder if the brown-y/beige like colours of the background and foreground are a little too close, in brightness?

Hello DizzyDoo,

thank you for showing interest to my project and of course for sweet words.  Smiley I am really working hard on the story but it really at early stages.  Smiley This young cutie girl finding a scepter and this scepter have a special ability. It allows to who own it can travel between dimensions but really hard to control it. So as a young girl we struggling to control it properly and travelling to where we don't want to be.  Smiley

Also thank you for advices about visuals, i'll note these. I can agree with similar colors i used for generally.  Smiley Besides Gif is really on low quality and some details are not appearing properly. A video or demo may be better for checking this kind of details.  Smiley

MDevotchka
Level 0

Creator of Dimensions

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 08:16:34 AM »

- Second Update -

Today i worked on the simplest enemies (blobs), neutral animals (deers) and main character's run animation. Gif is on low fps and quality but i zoomed screen to see better all of them.  Smiley Blobs rush you when see you on sight. It have different idle and walk animations. But I need to work a little more for deers animation. Enjoy.  Gentleman

Spencer Bambrick
Level 0

Games, Music, and Cats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 08:36:21 AM »

The artwork is amazing! I'm loving it so far.

I definitely agree with DizzyDoo though, it was hard to see the character over the background. I'd really love to see gameplay videos!
I'm really intrigued by the story too... the cross dimensional thing opens the doors to a lot of really cool environments etc. And I also really like the idea of the young protagonist unable to fully control the scepter. Any idea what the main antagonist will be, or what propels the need to use the scepter?

Game Design & Music

itch.io Page: https://entanglementinteractive.itch.io/bird
MDevotchka
Level 0

Creator of Dimensions

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 10:19:37 AM »

The artwork is amazing! I'm loving it so far.

I definitely agree with DizzyDoo though, it was hard to see the character over the background. I'd really love to see gameplay videos!
I'm really intrigued by the story too... the cross dimensional thing opens the doors to a lot of really cool environments etc. And I also really like the idea of the young protagonist unable to fully control the scepter. Any idea what the main antagonist will be, or what propels the need to use the scepter?

Hi Spencer,

thanks for kind words.  Smiley

This is the root idea of story. We will travel so many dimensions and it will allow us to see so many different, fantastic environments. Well besides that, this idea is way harder than draw and add so much detail on only one environment and let players play there. But harder means more fun and cooler things.  Beer!

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 12:31:40 PM »

I have to agree -- this is gorgeous artwork. Quick question -- do you plan to make the antagonist stand out a bit more? As of now, the sprite blends in REALLY well with the environment.

MDevotchka
Level 0

Creator of Dimensions

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 01:06:12 PM »

I have to agree -- this is gorgeous artwork. Quick question -- do you plan to make the antagonist stand out a bit more? As of now, the sprite blends in REALLY well with the environment.

Yes, of course it's possible. Besides i am not sure what i am going to do next. I have lots of things in my mind, it's a bit messy right now, i guess.  Smiley   Concerned

archgame
Level 2

I program architecture and build video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 05:30:12 PM »

Does going between different dimensions have gameplay ramifications or is it just the way she travels between levels? I'm imagining something like The Veiled World if there is gameplay ramifications.

Also what are you going to do about audio (music?)?

Echoing everyone's comments about the art.

MDevotchka
Level 0

Creator of Dimensions

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 11:41:39 PM »

Does going between different dimensions have gameplay ramifications or is it just the way she travels between levels? I'm imagining something like The Veiled World if there is gameplay ramifications.

Also what are you going to do about audio (music?)?

Echoing everyone's comments about the art.

I think she will travel between levels not like The Veiled World's ramifications. I'm planning to support this interdimensional trip with cutscenes.

Also, as game audio i'm planning to put some orchestral relaxing pieces for some levels and for other dimensions i'm thinking to add electronic, sci-fi kind audio could be good for atmosphere, i don't know yet.  Smiley

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 02:20:57 AM »

Even though the gif compression is very heavy, it's clearly going to be a very pretty game. I'd really like to see a high-quality video that does it justice!

Spencer Bambrick
Level 0

Games, Music, and Cats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 03:25:01 AM »

Even though the gif compression is very heavy, it's clearly going to be a very pretty game. I'd really like to see a high-quality video that does it justice!

I definitely second that!  A video would be great to see Smiley

Game Design & Music

MDevotchka
Level 0

Creator of Dimensions

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 05:13:00 AM »

I definitely second that!  A video would be great to see Smiley

I will try to add a gameplay video in a few days.  Smiley

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 05:16:35 AM »

Oops, realized someone had already questioned you about the protagonist (I said antagonist, woops) being hard to see!
Really loving the direction of the story. It's as if the player is exploring the world, purely based on child-like curiosity. The visuals really make you desire to see more.

You have a follower! Excited for the video!

thecolonygame
Level 0

thecolonygame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 03:03:57 PM »

Light beams bring an awesome feel to the game. Very nicely done!

MDevotchka
Level 0

Creator of Dimensions

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 03:17:12 PM »

Light beams bring an awesome feel to the game. Very nicely done!

Ah, thank you. Gentleman Still have lots of visual stuff to add into the scene, i am trying my best.  Smiley

Spencer Bambrick
Level 0

Games, Music, and Cats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 04:03:21 PM »

Wow these new screens look amazing! I 100% agree with thecolonygame, the light beams really make it a much more emotional space.

These are some really great additions to the concept. In my opinion the best way to emphasize the fragility of the protagonist is through the music  Smiley There's a ton you can do musically to make it a really intimate and vulnerable experience for the player. It also brings up the question of potentially having a voice for the protagonist. Have you thought about that at all? Not that there will be voiceover dialogue, but having the usual effort/damage vocal sounds and things like that. It may or may not be right for this, but it's definitely something to take into consideration.
Also, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but do we have a name for our protagonist yet?

Keep the gameplay shots coming! These are looking amazing  Toast Left

Game Design & Music

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic