Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 01:31:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRemnants of Naezith [RELEASED on STEAM]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Remnants of Naezith [RELEASED on STEAM]  (Read 63730 times)
naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« on: October 10, 2015, 07:57:39 AM »

Available on Steam!

Pre-TIGSource dev posts

We just published the Steam Store Page, you can now wishlist it!

Feel the acceleration in this fast-paced grappling hook platformer, Remnants of Naezith.

It focuses on having freedom of movement, solid character control and not having any speed limitations. The fun of swinging with grappling hooks and the amazing feel of acceleration makes a great combination in this game.

You play as Kayra, a human who shares his body with the soul of the ancient thunder dragon, Naezith! With the powers granted to him by the dragon, Kayra will destroy the Remnants of Naezith, enchanted fragments of the dragon's body, to prevent anyone from exploiting their power for evil.

Website

Ask me anything and also I am open for any recommendation, ideas. Just tell me what do you think and have a nice day! Coffee                  
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 02:11:38 AM by naezith » Logged

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 08:19:49 AM »

Looks really good! the effect on the grapple is awesome!

Cant wait to see more of this

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 08:50:48 AM »

I love the spinning animation! makes it look so dynamic.

I made a grappling game prototype a long time ago. Coincidentally the rope was also made with blinky particles and there were pads you step onto to change the grapple. But all in 3D. I made a few videos of it then never worked on it again Tongue

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 08:54:24 AM »

Looks really good! the effect on the grapple is awesome!

Cant wait to see more of this

Thanks for the kind words! Smiley

I love the spinning animation! makes it look so dynamic.

I made a grappling game prototype a long time ago. Coincidentally the rope was also made with blinky particles and there were pads you step onto to change the grapple. But all in 3D. I made a few videos of it then never worked on it again Tongue

That instantly reminded me the game Electro Hook. I would like to see the videos of yours too tho! Smiley

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 10:24:52 AM »

Wow that's some of the best grappling hook mechanics I've seen in a while  Blink. The character and animations looks amazing although I don't know how those intense lights will look when the background it's done. They may make the character hard to follow or distract you too much.

< check out the devlog! or Twitter!
naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 12:11:17 AM »

Wow that's some of the best grappling hook mechanics I've seen in a while  Blink. The character and animations looks amazing although I don't know how those intense lights will look when the background it's done. They may make the character hard to follow or distract you too much.

Thanks a lot! Yeah I will adjust the lights depending on the background but you're right it might look weird if background is also bright.

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 01:12:30 PM »

-> 15:12
  • Removed frame-rate limiting for now, will experiment more in future.
  • Fixed wall-sliding to air frame was not properly changing when hook is active.
    -> 23:58
  • Editor: Stick of the moving blades are now clickable in any way
  • Editor: Added object moving (Hold M + Click and Drag) for some objects(Turrets, Lasers and Moving Blades)

Area-based objects like checkpoints, end-level, water that kind of stuff are not moveable yet tho but this update still makes some stuff a lot easier Smiley I am trying my best to make the level editor feel very comfortable to work with.

lobstersteve
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 01:20:55 PM »

Yeah, great idea to make the grapplehook look that way. seems really fun to use Smiley
If you probably make the rest of the world with those bright colors like the character someday, it might look really good Smiley
I'm always in for some good platformers..
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 01:22:11 PM »

This is absolutely stunning, and seriously impressive that you're building this from the ground up in SDL at your age. Looking forward to seeing more!
naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 08:28:25 PM »

Yeah, great idea to make the grapplehook look that way. seems really fun to use Smiley
If you probably make the rest of the world with those bright colors like the character someday, it might look really good Smiley
I'm always in for some good platformers..

Noted your suggestion since we did not start making the world graphics yet, thanks a lot, hope it will be one of the good platformers.

This is absolutely stunning, and seriously impressive that you're building this from the ground up in SDL at your age. Looking forward to seeing more!

Haha, you just gave me a motivation boost, thanks for the kind words! Smiley

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 08:33:22 PM »

SFML* whoops!
Regardless, still insanely impressed!
Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 03:30:08 AM »

The trail effects on those grappling hooks, combined with the spinning when they're not in use, look fantastic. I think this'll be a very interesting game to speed-run.

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 03:43:28 AM »

Love the visual FX Smiley Level-art is a placeholder?

c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 03:56:20 AM »

Looking good!  Gentleman

Wish you all the best and a smooth development! Looking forward to this, sins it looks like it has the feeling that I like - momentum!

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 12:35:49 PM »

The trail effects on those grappling hooks, combined with the spinning when they're not in use, look fantastic. I think this'll be a very interesting game to speed-run.

I am glad you liked the juice! Yeah since there isn't anything fixed/limited, there are tons of variety in the movement so everyone will have a different "time score or/and replay" even in a pretty basic hook level. Every replay worths watching! Smiley

Love the visual FX Smiley Level-art is a placeholder?

Haha yeah I only pimped out the character yet, tell me if you have some other nice effects/animations, I will add them! Rest of the graphics are just placeholders, yes.

Looking good!  Gentleman

Wish you all the best and a smooth development! Looking forward to this, sins it looks like it has the feeling that I like - momentum!

MOMENTUM!! I don't know if you're good at Quake but if you are, you obviously like the momentum, that's me! Thanks for the great wishes!

Update:
I had a temporary speed limit which is "a big enough number not to penetrate walls" for the character. Game runs at 125 update ticks per second so that number is pretty big but I really want to give what I promised, "NO SPEED-LIMIT"! So I am doing surgery on my movement and collision check/resolve code to make it real.

Sweep algorithm works against the tilemap now, worked on that today. But it does not check it against objects or different tile types yet. Also hook code makes him go into walls with the new sweep check, need to figure that out too.

c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 12:57:33 PM »

MOMENTUM!! I don't know if you're good at Quake but if you are, you obviously like the momentum, that's me! Thanks for the great wishes!

Ok, now this is kind of a nerd moment...
This is on my skin:

(looks cleaner irl - its on my back and hard to make a pic, had it done in BAli '09 - full moon mushroom*cough*)

Rocket Launcher icon is coming to my trigger hand next =D

That game thought me most of what I knew to get started in game-dev ... and robbed like 4 years of my youth. RocketArena3 !

MAybe you'd like some aspects of my game too then Wink

Seriously, you have something cool going on if you play it right! I'd be ready to support you with audio/visual stuff if you need some backup! (Almost done with my game so I'll have some time soon)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:12:17 PM by c023-DeV » Logged

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 08:52:47 AM »

Ok, now this is kind of a nerd moment...
This is on my skin:
(looks cleaner irl - its on my back and hard to make a pic, had it done in BAli '09 - full moon mushroom*cough*)

Rocket Launcher icon is coming to my trigger hand next =D

That game thought me most of what I knew to get started in game-dev ... and robbed like 4 years of my youth. RocketArena3 !

MAybe you'd like some aspects of my game too then Wink

Seriously, you have something cool going on if you play it right! I'd be ready to support you with audio/visual stuff if you need some backup! (Almost done with my game so I'll have some time soon)

Wow, coincidence? Smiley I spent many years to Quake aswell but zero regrets.

Update:
Made the hook algorithm work with the new sweep collision check. Other objects are left such as player v other tile types, player v rockets, lasers, moving blades... stuff like that.

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 04:36:16 AM »

I am fixing stuff more than adding new stuff, I don't know if it's a good thing but yeah...

I am spending some time still on game design/juice/feel whatever you call it. So I am open to advices about these topics because I know they make the game, a game. Smiley

Update:
  • Fixed hook-pull while accelerating hook-band was doing some weird stuff.
  • Fixed hook-band was dragging the character even through walls.
  • Changed the dash mechanic to old style, which boosts only to left or right because it seems to be more consistent.
  • Increased ambient volume.
  • Fixed character was going through walls at very high speed (Almost impossible to reach without accelerator/jump-pad).
  • Fixed character was going through walls while swinging and hitting to some wall in a rare way.
  • Fixed arm/hand positions were coming from a frame behind.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:45:07 AM by naezith » Logged

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 04:44:35 AM »

I am spending some time still on game design/juice/feel whatever you call it. So I am open to advices about these topics because I know they make the game, a game. Smiley

That's a really interesting question! And one that's super-important when it comes to a movement-focused game like this one. I'm not sure there's a set answer to it, but I feel like getting a decent number of playtesters moving about the game, is going to a very good start. Once you can observe what people are really having fun with, or maybe more importantly, what is frustrating them, then you have some things that you can tweak.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 05:16:28 AM »

Just wanted to jump in and say this is pretty awesome. Looking forward to following your progress.

One tiny critique, the running animation is gorgeous but seeing the player run across the game looks (IMO) really sluggish. I think this may be because the design of the character running with the leaning forward and dust kicking creates this impression of moving at a very accelerated rate and then seeing the actual movement speed, it seems to not blend with the animations which look so "quick". I'm sure a lot is placeholder at this stage, but just throwing that out there.

Best of luck on the development, will be following.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic