Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 10:08:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIntersect
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Intersect  (Read 1183 times)
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2015, 01:07:02 PM »

Intersect is a simple mobile game in which you guide the particles along paths to reach their goals. As the player, you will control the intersections in order to time the particles so that they avoid hitting obstacles.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:09:42 AM by Osteel » Logged
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 01:10:54 PM »

Hi TIG!

I decided to continue my "make simple games because all my big projects seem to fall through" streak and work on my next game, Intersect. I started prototyping this at the beginning of the week and I'm pretty happy with the direction. I spent today creating an art style which I will port into the game and post some gifs.

But here's how it currently looks:

Also, if you're a music/sound person looking to collaborate on something, message me. I'm looking for nice, calm sounding ambient music and sounds to go along with this.

Thanks. Smiley
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 05:12:34 AM »

Hi TIG!

I decided to continue my "make simple games because all my big projects seem to fall through" streak and work on my next game, Intersect.

I know that feeling all to well, Good luck, it looks very polished already. Nice idea

Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 05:57:24 AM »

I know that feeling all to well, Good luck, it looks very polished already. Nice idea

Haha, yeah. So many collaborations, so many dropouts. Sad

Anyway! Since it was Thanksgiving here in Canada I didn't do too much for the game. I just focused on porting over the art into Unity. There's a bug with colouring the lines, but here's what it looks like for now:

Thinking ahead, it's going to be a mission to create all the levels.

Also, I've found a music/audio person to help out. Thanks everyone for your messages. Smiley
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:13:51 AM »

In continuation with my "do as much work during lunch break as possible", I've started working on the game over flow.

There's two ways to lose a level. Either by having your coloured particles collide with the black ones, or if the intersections get too full that they burst. In this example, the blue intersect is set to burst pretty quickly (for show'n'tell).

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 09:33:28 AM »

Love the style, colors, fonts & simplicity already... Nice start.

"Bitches Get Stitches" eh?

Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 09:56:40 AM »

Love the style, colors, fonts & simplicity already... Nice start.

"Bitches Get Stitches" eh?

Haha, that was my "I ran out of time for my lunch to do anything" statement. It'll be cleaned up and properly laid out for a game over screen, soon. Smiley
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 07:39:45 PM »

So everything for this simple game is pretty much done minus all the levels which I'm saving until last. For now, I'm just going through and polishing everything. Here's a new gif with some small changes and a win state.

Also, the controls have changed. After play testing with a bunch of people it showed that the tap/hold mechanics for handling intersections was too hard. In theory it's nice for a touch screen, but the fingers just get in the way. So, instead, I've changed it to be more traffic lighty in that you now toggle intersections on or off.

Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 07:22:33 AM »

I've been slowly trekking along with this little project. Work has been really busy, so it's been a bit of a slow process, however the game is "done" in that I'm all ready to go for creating and implementing levels.

One of the major things I did was change the orientation of the game. Although it looked nice in mockups, it turns out that doing the game in portrait mode was very claustrophobic. Even though landscape mode was the same amount of space, I assume that because we see our peripheral vision on the sides and rather than up/down, we perceive it as more space.

Plus, your fingers are not so in the way this time.

Anyway, gif shows the new orientation and the win/loss states for level 1.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 06:05:49 AM by Osteel » Logged
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 06:09:50 AM »

At the beginning of the week I created a printout template so that I can easily sketch out levels. I've created 30 of them which I think is enough for an initial release, then if some by miracle this game is well received, I have some ideas for new features that will lend themselves to a bunch of new levels as well.

Right now these are not ordered in terms of difficulty. I just went and created whatever I could with the intention that I'll cut these out and figure out the best order later.

I'm going to spend the next little bit figuring out ways to polish the game so it gives more feedback and looks better in general. Suggestions are welcomed. Smiley
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 08:10:25 AM »

Hi everyone!

I just finished my game, Intersect, available for Android. Link is at the top with a link to the trailer. Thanks. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic