Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:59:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs{ adam }
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: { adam }  (Read 2546 times)
blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 15, 2015, 01:55:55 AM »

A little update

Adam began life back in 2015 as a little 2D narrative/exploration game. Right now we're in the beginnings of taking this concept and fleshing it out into a full game.

Building upon the tone, aesthetic and narrative themes brought about in the initial prototype. However we're moving over to 3D to take advantage of things real-time lighting and more dynamic environments.

Below you can read about the initial development of the prototype and more about adam in it's current state as we progress.

{ adam } is our second full game as a studio. We’re very early into developing it, but we’ve been able to put together a short demo for game expos and alike. We’ve been getting a bunch of rad feedback, which has been incredible! We’ve also had a lot of inquires about Adam’s art style so I figured I’d take the time to break it down a little bit here!

{ the first floor of Adam’s house }

We kept { adam } black and white for one main reason. Working in black and white means tone, shape and lighting are your key tools for building the world. It also most definitely lends itself to Adam’s overtly bleak tone as well! (Although we’ll be bringing in small amounts of colour to punctuate aspects of the narrative)

The top-down/Isomeric view was a very early design choice. We figured working in this view would be fun challenge in terms of creating a strong and lasting atmosphere within the constraints of a top-down view. Plus the clean geometric layout of the rooms contrasted with thedirty grunge of everything else is a fun little mix and match!

{ Asset from Adam’s ground floor }

We’re playing up to our talents by working mostly in 2D. But it’s been exiting working 3D modeling and photography into Adam’s 2D hand drawn elements. By building aspects of the game in 3D it allows us real freedom with whats possible, especially when composing images for Adam to take a closer look at

{ Close up view of the record player. Displayed when Adam interacts with the table }

We’re rendering layouts and outputting images from blender, then in Photoshop we can process images and bring in extra elements and style out the lighting as well as export things into flash, then output em again as sprites and pngs for us to use in unity. Lots of fun mixed media going on!

We’re knee deep into the writing process for { adam } right now as well working on music and audio, and we’ll soon be exploring the steam green-light process. But we’re looking forward to keeping ya’ll up to date on Adam’s progress as and when we have fun stuff to show!

You can read a little more about { adam } and check out some game play footage here

October 20, 2015

Richard Jackson has been doing some stellar work
on the music and sound design for { adam }.
We asked him to share some of the secrets behind his technique and what goes into his thought process . . .

{ adam } is my first venture into the video game music genre, and what a game to start with! With the initial spec of “minimal lonely haunting piano themes” to go off, it’s grown into a real study of false stability and repetition - plus the game’s black and white artwork implied a perfect opportunity to stick with the black and white keys of my weapon of choice!

To go about this, I made a musical scale that is ‘roughly’ major, but never quite fits perfectly - a knight’s move away from diatonic harmony. It’s built up of groupings of 5 notes of a whole-tone scale, then the next grouping starting a semitone up from the last (which strictly means that both transpositions of a whole tone scale are used within the same octave). Since this is shifted on the way up compared to the way down, this means that, with one exception (‘A’), no note is played in both directions, giving an even more shadowy sense of ‘almost-but-not-quite’ tonality. To compliment the ‘complexity’ of this, the music then just floats up and down this scale, which gives an almost ‘nursery-rhyme-like’ feel to the idea:

To underpin this constant melody, it felt natural to have chords underneath, so I found some notes that maintained that same sense of pseudo-familiarity - typically, when there’s a ‘logical’ method to making one side of the music, I like to go with an ‘intuitive’ side to fill in the other, so that both the logic and the instinct work hand-in-hand. Here’s the first section of the menu music:

GROUND FLOOR 01

As can be heard in the

, the music is still focused around solo piano, now with some more sfx coming into play. While there are some organic ‘house’ sounds (creaking floorboards, the hum of lights…) a few of the sounds are also built from the ‘inside’ of a piano, which is definitely going to start taking more prominence as the game continues. Again, as a first experience into game audio (and ‘accurate’ sound design in general) it’s been fascinating learning about how the real sound of something (say, a punch) doesn’t sound real enough (which I guess goes into ideas such as hyperreality) but you can warp a piano to sound like a door closing - of course, which ones are and aren’t made from a piano you’ll just have to work out!

As this was the first piece of music after the menu loop, with it’s rigid melodic structure, I wanted the very first note to be one that wouldn’t fit into that world - so, as the top note of the menu was an F#, it felt only right to start this on a G, which feels like a subtle end to the cycle. It’s little things that might not be noticed by anyone else but they keep me happy!

In general the main melodic material is loosely based around the two inversions of a whole tone scales being separated by an octave, and jumping around the available notes, almost like a tonal game of hopscotch. The overall structure is much more relaxed, much more improvised, just with a few key signposts in mind. Another element that I wanted to play around with is the idea that as you’re in a game, you’re expecting the audio to loop, so by repeating sections and then moving off into different directions (like a warped rondo) to again lend to the sense of distorted stability that’s being created by the game right from the get go.

You can check out the music in its entirety in the gameplay demo here

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 05:13:01 AM by blindskystudios » Logged

MDevotchka
Level 0

Creator of Dimensions

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 02:25:40 AM »

You guys have such an extraordinary game perspective and art style (i've seen Biolith before). Keep up the good work!  Gentleman
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 02:38:27 AM by MDevotchka » Logged

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 02:35:44 AM »

Oooh, I like the heavily textured look of the black and white graphics. I'm a huge fan of ink-based art, and I think the intricate details of the zoomed out shot of the first floor look great.

Do you think there's a visual mismatch between the photo-realistic, 3d-rendered assets and the scratchy ink type-look used for the character? I'm not saying that's necessarily 'bad', a mismatch may be entirely intentional, but it's a hard line to walk, for visual cohesion.

What's the story of the game?

Helicon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 03:25:51 AM »

Strong Edwin Gorey vibe here.

Very cool.

Hand Thumbs Up Left
blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 04:00:45 AM »

You guys have such an extraordinary game perspective and art style (i've seen Biolith before). Keep up the good work!  Gentleman
Ah, well done for stumbling onto Biolith! And Cheers very much Grin Dimensions really dose look stunning as well!! You planning on getting a demo out soon?

Oooh, I like the heavily textured look of the black and white graphics. I'm a huge fan of ink-based art, and I think the intricate details of the zoomed out shot of the first floor look great.

Do you think there's a visual mismatch between the photo-realistic, 3d-rendered assets and the scratchy ink type-look used for the character? I'm not saying that's necessarily 'bad', a mismatch may be entirely intentional, but it's a hard line to walk, for visual cohesion.

What's the story of the game?

Cheers for the kind words! And yep, the mismatch is very much intentional. As the game progresses you begin to see more and more of the environment through Adam's perspective. The plan is to separate the real from delusion by using 3D and hand drawn elements respectively. Hence why Adam is all inky from the get go. But right you are, it is a hard line to walk! I'm currently redrawing Adam's walk cycle from scratch so his movements are more natural and represent his current physical and mental state.

{still a work in progress}

Once more of the subtle hand drawn elements are in place this should bridge the gap, blur things together, . Overall I'm trying to maintain a consistent vibe while using the contrasting visual styles to highlight the differences. Something like that, hopefully it'll work!

Uncovering Adam's backstory is the main focus of the game play so I'll have to keep it vague. It's basically discovering why Adam is alone, how Adam's actions caused him to be left in this way and how hes dealing with them. It'll be covering the importance of family and how easy it is for those connections to be lost, as well as what love means in relation to a long term marriage. Lots of fun stuff!

Strong Edwin Gorey vibe here.

Very cool.

Hand Thumbs Up Left
Ha, yep Wink My background is in illustration (have a peek here). It was an idea to write a Children's book with interactive accompaniments that led me down the road to game development!

Spencer Bambrick
Level 0

Games, Music, and Cats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 07:48:02 AM »

This is some seriously interesting artwork. I love it! I certainly hope the story doesn't take a Silent Hill 2 route  Screamy I really love the feel of it though, especially paired with the mystery of the narrative. You've definitely got something special going on here  Smiley

Game Design & Music

itch.io Page: https://entanglementinteractive.itch.io/bird
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 04:55:00 AM »

Oooh, dark and grim. Emphasis on emotional trouble, isolationism and sadness...
My cup of tea.  Coffee
Super stoked to hear the audio side of this!

Does the game take place entirely in the home? Also, based on your previous comments, the artwork is a combination of photography and 2-d graphics? If that's correct, it really adds a nice realistic touch. Almost... eh, I want to say surreal, but in a way, it could kind of play into the reality of the world he lives in, and the fantasies of the life he had/would like to have.

TOTALLY reading  waay too far into this, but it seems really neat. I like games that have the potential to challenge your perceptions and ideas on life.

blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 06:51:08 AM »

This is some seriously interesting artwork. I love it! I certainly hope the story doesn't take a Silent Hill 2 route  Screamy I really love the feel of it though, especially paired with the mystery of the narrative. You've definitely got something special going on here  Smiley

Cheers Spencer, I hope the story doesn't disappoint! I plan to tell a story that someone on your own street could be going through, or even someone in your own family who you may have lost touch with. Truth is stranger than fiction after all!

Oooh, dark and grim. Emphasis on emotional trouble, isolationism and sadness...
My cup of tea.  Coffee
Super stoked to hear the audio side of this!

Does the game take place entirely in the home? Also, based on your previous comments, the artwork is a combination of photography and 2-d graphics? If that's correct, it really adds a nice realistic touch. Almost... eh, I want to say surreal, but in a way, it could kind of play into the reality of the world he lives in, and the fantasies of the life he had/would like to have.

TOTALLY reading  waay too far into this, but it seems really neat. I like games that have the potential to challenge your perceptions and ideas on life.

Ha, cheers! Very much my cut of tea as well, you've gotta write what you know I guess!

The game dose take place solely from Adam's home but that's not to say we will always be in Adam's house Wink
By all means feel free to read as far into things as you can, I've agonized over every pixel in the game, everything is heavily considered. But yeah, exactly, surrealism only works if there is solid 'real' to abstract in the first place!

A post about Adam's audio will follow shortly as well Smiley 

blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 08:32:00 AM »

There's a bunch of different techniques that I employ while working on the level design for adam. I figured I'd take one of them and sort of break it down into an almost tutorial, because why not...

Step one is to have a surprising amount of alcohol bottles knocking about at various different levels of completion. Take those tasty treats and line them all up.

Step two is to get rid of the background. As we all know there's a few ways to achieve this in Photoshop, layer masks an alike. Arm your preferred method and get cropping!

Step three is the interesting bit. Since adam is viewed from a top-down/isometric perspective we're gunna need to push this photo around so its up and down angles are all straight as can be. Free transform and warp are your friends for this stage.

Step four
is finishing up. Once you've got he bottles angled right we're gunna make it all black an white as well as boosting the contrast and levels to balance out the image.

Step five is our final. We'll bring the image into our main Photoshop canvas. This is where I build the level as a whole. All my little components come together here.

So in this close up of the kitchen you can see our bottle. All I've done is apply some extra tweaks to the contrast and levels to help tie it into the environment as well as add a key line and a drop shadow to keep things consistent with the very slight hand drawn look.

The last port of call it to make sure its small enough so none of the logos are visible in the hope to avoid copy-write stuff . . .

So that's pretty much one way to get stuff into the game. I'll be exposing the other techniques I use as I progress.

blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 05:28:40 AM »

A little update

Hi there.

So it's been a little while! We're excited to say that we're back to full time work on adam! As you can see from our little teaser we've moved from 2D to 3D. This was a very conscious decision and one we spent time deliberating over.

It began when we're given the opportunity to produce a small game for an interactive art exhibition in Turkey. As a kind of experiment we decided to try and recreate adam's aesthetic pretty much 1:1 in 3D and apply it to a sort of arcade shooter that you can never win! (you can check out the game here if you want!)

Seeing the effect real time lighting had on this little black and white world pretty much sold us on the idea. Since then we've moved away from an orthographic camera as well, giving us freedom to create much more dynamic scenes and odd little vignettes for Adam to move around in!

We're in the process of sketching out gameplay right now, can't wait to show you more!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic