Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:11:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWriting up a contract for hiring an artist or creative.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Writing up a contract for hiring an artist or creative.  (Read 712 times)
gemudezaina
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2015, 12:16:38 PM »

I'm a programmer and I've been browsing through the forums looking for any advice on writing up a contract for hiring an artist on a contract or freelance basis.

I've found this article, and it was excellent:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=47032.0

However it is geared more toward the artist side of the picture (no pun intended).

Are there any online resources for writing up a contract?  I know I could get a lawyer, but as an indie that's a cost I would like to avoid.  I just want to make sure all of my bases are covered, or maybe I'm just over thinking this...

Thanks for any guidance!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 04:32:35 PM by gemudezaina » Logged

Twitter: @gemudezaina
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 06:09:41 PM »

Step 1: Go here: http://docontract.com/

Step 2: Fill in the applicable blanks.

gemudezaina
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 07:09:34 AM »

Nice!

Thanks for the link oldblood!

I was looking it over and it seems as though a contract would be something that the actual content creator would produce?  Is that a correct statement?

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 08:30:41 AM »

I was looking it over and it seems as though a contract would be something that the actual content creator would produce?  Is that a correct statement?

If you're the one hiring the artist, then you will need to be the one who prepares the contract.

Basically, the company (or individual) doing the hiring or contracting of work needs to manage all of the aspects of the deal. Pitching, negotiating, the legal aspects of hiring, paying, applicable tax documenting etc.

gemudezaina
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:25:55 PM »

oldblood,

Thanks for your input!

I neglected the applicable tax part of the equation.  However, I don't send the kid who cuts my yard every other week a W2.  Smiley

Man...  Why did I do Computer Science; why didn't I pursue an Accounting degree!

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 02:29:58 PM »

I neglected the applicable tax part of the equation.  However, I don't send the kid who cuts my yard every other week a W2.  Smiley

Man...  Why did I do Computer Science; why didn't I pursue an Accounting degree!

Well in the example of the kid mowing your yard, technically that's a 1099-MISC, not a W2 (because the kid is a contractor, not an employee) AND that kid is probably not cracking the required $600/year needed to make you legally obligated to give him said 1099.

In the case of you hiring an artist, it's likely going to be a contractor (employees get way more complicated and expensive) and you're likely going to surpass the minimum dollar amount so you definitely have to be sure to keep tax implications (for yourself and others) in mind from the very beginning.

The business side of game development is... not fun.

gemudezaina
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 12:03:18 PM »

oldblood,

Thank you for your responses.  You have provided great sollutions, and gave me more things to do research on.

I appreciate your help.

Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic