Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:07:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsFound this gem: unity tutorials for games you know, explained like you are 5
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Found this gem: unity tutorials for games you know, explained like you are 5  (Read 4829 times)
TammiDev
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2015, 04:17:14 AM »

I wish I had known this website when I started Unity development myself: http://noobtuts.com/unity

Free option: Pong, Arkanoid, Tetris, Snake, Minesweeper, Pac Man
I bought the premium option:
2d - > Bejeweld, Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, Bomberman, Space Invaders, Super Mario Bros, Frogger, Tron, VVVVV, Flappy Bird
3d -> tower defense, strategy game
mobile -> whack-a-mole
unity packages -> navigation2d, ustats, rts selection system, noobchat
and furthermore some Unity features tutorials

I will post here later with a review as I'm planning to try out most of them Smiley (my first priority is Pac Man, after that plants vs zombies but you can make requests for other reviews of course ^^)

Edit1:

Whack-A-Mole Review

After creating this topic I started with the tutorial for Whack-A-Mole and it was an extremely efficient tutorial. It didn't take much time and the code isn't hacky at all. We have a script so that holes can spawn moles. We also have a script that detects whether a mole is clicked and shows an on-hit effect. Very beginner-friendly (images with each step, not too many instructions per step).

I chose this tutorial to see what they had to say about mobile and unfortunately that was a bit lacking. They showed how to get the game playing on Android but that was it. I had hoped they would explain a bit more about specific mobile touches/ gestures and screen sizes (& the option to generate mipmaps) et cetera, you know, things to keep in mind when developing for mobile devices.

Edit2:

Pac-man Review

This one is unfortunately incredibly hacky. They say that is is possible to create a script to create the colliders for the maze but instead let you place all the box colliders and all the dots on the map manually. They might have done this to keep it beginner friendly but it is very tedious and demotivates very quickly.

So what you might do like me is open the scene in Unity to just use the maze object that they already created. However this also contains the pacdots, which on one hand is a good thing but my pac-man wouldn't move. He collided with the dots which at first confused me a lot. Then I found out that their collision function just checks for any collider (it doesn't discriminate between dots, maze or ghosts). They relied on pac-man moving through the dots because it destroys the dots (and thus their collider) but of course I hadn't created that script yet as I wasn't that far into the tutorial.

I haven't finished pac-man yet so will edit this later. After pac-man I will try plants vs zombies.

Edit3:

Continuation of Pac Man Review

They let you implement waypoints (as gameobjects) for the ghosts. A path to continously follow. I think it is a very simple implementation of a path and maybe for enemies this isn't what you would ideally desire but it's a good option to understand. I think it'll come handy for in example games like pokemon. Remember in pokemon where sometimes in towns or buildings a character/ pokemon is running in a circle? Waypoints would be a simple and effective way of implementing that Smiley

Edit4:

Plants vs Zombies Review

I've done the plants vs zombies tutorial and I really like it. The code is segmented and you really learn to re-use it (for the more advanced people, they make excellent use of the entity-component system).
The tutorial has one outdated section. It asks you to select the checkbox of Fixed Angle. In Unity 5.x this is changed, instead you unfold Constraints and you select the checkbox Freeze Position Y.
Unfortunately this tutorial does not include the following:
- Game Over/ End of Level System
- Spawning Zombies (though should be easy to learn)
- Making sure you can't put two plants on one tile (should be fairly easy to modify)
This is a tutorial I can definitely recommend to people that base their games of Plants Vs Zombies.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 06:22:00 AM by TammiDev » Logged
jeshii
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »

Ive done a few of their tutorials, and definitely recommend them as well. Super easy to follow and walks you through while explaining the basics.

I did have to do some side research for a few things (my first  game was their pong tutorial), but other than that I appreciated the simplicity of it all.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic