Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:04:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Vertex Color 3D Dungeon help needed
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Vertex Color 3D Dungeon help needed  (Read 1254 times)
EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: October 23, 2015, 05:01:11 PM »

I'm trying to make a first person dungeon crawler. The good news it's easy to make these look good using assets from the Unity Asset Store. I don't think they're easy to make distinct with assets like those. So I thought, why not try vertex color / flat shaded dungeon look?

Ugh.

I don't know what to do. Should I increase the polygons of the wall? Make individual bricks? Do I need to make more 3D detail to replace the detail lost without using textures?

The ability to make vertex colored models with the restrictions involved is appealing, but not if they look horrible like this looks. Using ANY texture looks better. Unless I just go all-in?

Right now I'm at the point where just making it look generic (but good) is winning over making it distinct (and ugly.)

EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 10:35:33 PM »

Attempt 2. I like how one wall piece looks in isolation, but not how they tile together. I think they need to be seamless when next to each other and not blocked in with the wood there.

Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 03:07:41 AM »

I think that looks good, but yeah having beams placed even does make it look a little odd. Are you procedurally generating it or is it from a model?

eh
EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 06:57:38 PM »

It's a model. I have seen flat-shaded models that look excellent, but I can't seem to pull them off.

I did finally get a result I was happy with though. Have a look at this one:

Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 03:55:07 AM »

Thats a good style, the torches look super out of place now though. How many variations are there? I mean if you have a lot in a row does a pattern standout quickly?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 04:01:10 AM by P1x3lRuckus » Logged

eh
EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 04:31:04 PM »

I agree. I think the torches should be in the same style. Maybe I'll use a mesh for the flame and not a particle effect.

A pattern in the bricks isn't too noticeable, but it doesn't look nice when there are a lot of rooms next to each other. I think once it has some props and doors that will alleviate that problem some.

RyanB
Level 0

FIRE + SKULLS = AWESOME

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 12:21:18 AM »

Most artists who can make something look "good" take five years or more to hone their skills.  You can't expect to bang out a few models and get a pleasing result.

The same thing applies to artists learning how to program.  It takes time to learn a new skill.  Be patient and realistic in your goals.

alfoux
Level 0

Independant French Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 10:41:43 AM »

I like the last picture and I agree, the torch doesn't match with the rest.

French Indie Developper working on Kafka - Episode 1 : Ravachol. A visual novel/point and click game based on Franz Kafka life. http://raoulgames.wordpress.com/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic