Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:11:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs★ Intergalactic Road Warriors ★ Alpha on Early Access
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: ★ Intergalactic Road Warriors ★ Alpha on Early Access  (Read 17606 times)
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 07:29:22 AM »

looks great for sure.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 07:34:45 AM »

Oh man that is sexy. So are you planning to somehow make it possible to guess the type of track based on the planet the shader generates?
Canned Turkey
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 09:40:59 AM »

How would someone go about generating planets as snazzy as yours?
Rilem
Level 1

Pirate King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 09:53:14 AM »

It's just a sphere with a custom shader, built in shaderforge.
Basically it comes down to a few image maps + some color operations, and a custom lighting setup that posterizes the shadows.

You won't have to do any guesswork, because when you select a planet you'll also get a preview thumb of what the racetrack looks like. Smiley

crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2015, 10:05:14 AM »

It's just a sphere with a custom shader, built in shaderforge.
Basically it comes down to a few image maps + some color operations, and a custom lighting setup that posterizes the shadows.

You won't have to do any guesswork, because when you select a planet you'll also get a preview thumb of what the racetrack looks like. Smiley

Cool!  Everything I've seen on shaderforge seems to map the textures to something 3D.  Do you know if shaderforge plays nicely with unity 2D?  Does it just spit out material + shader or is it more complicated than that?  Also do you know if it supports grab passes (taking the already rendered pixels under the geometry and using them as the input texture)?

Caravan: devlog | website
Rilem
Level 1

Pirate King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2015, 10:22:28 AM »

Yeah it works with Unity2d, it even comes with a sprite template shader. When you select a sprite in unity you can still change the material to whatever, so you can make a custom sprite material.

I built this https://twitter.com/rilemtwit/status/651295678220607488 guy on top of that and we now use it for flame trails. Smiley

I think it does support grab passes, haven't tried anything that uses that so not 100% sure on that. It does support distorting 'underlying' geometry out of the box though.

crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 11:47:28 AM »

Yeah it works with Unity2d, it even comes with a sprite template shader. When you select a sprite in unity you can still change the material to whatever, so you can make a custom sprite material.

I built this https://twitter.com/rilemtwit/status/651295678220607488 guy on top of that and we now use it for flame trails. Smiley

I think it does support grab passes, haven't tried anything that uses that so not 100% sure on that. It does support distorting 'underlying' geometry out of the box though.

Cool!  I know what I want for Christmas.

Caravan: devlog | website
Rilem
Level 1

Pirate King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2015, 12:04:53 AM »

A character concept.

Intergalactic Race Wars will have all kinds of weird playable characters.

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 01:42:04 PM »

The flames you made with shaderforge are great. I really want to learn how to make those kinda pixel art shaders, have you got any recommended reads? We managed to do some procedural blood and flames that looked somehow similar in the past but only in hd stuff.

< check out the devlog! or Twitter!
Rilem
Level 1

Pirate King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2015, 04:08:41 AM »

The flames you made with shaderforge are great. I really want to learn how to make those kinda pixel art shaders, have you got any recommended reads? We managed to do some procedural blood and flames that looked somehow similar in the past but only in hd stuff.

The trick I used for the flames actually extends beyond shaderforge. Because getting the desired 'pixel art' look can be difficult with shaderforge alone. I have a seperate effects layer which gets pixelated using a seperate shader. The flames and most other effects just exist on that layer.

Rilem
Level 1

Pirate King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2015, 04:09:33 AM »

Also, our first video devlog just went live!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2015, 05:49:47 AM »

Hand Metal Left Motörhead
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2015, 08:50:41 AM »

Thanks for the tip Rilem! and great video! good luck with the project  Smiley

< check out the devlog! or Twitter!
Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2015, 09:29:58 AM »

I saw this game on #screenshotsaturday on Twitter.

I love this capture:

Such a sense of speed and excitement.

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
grayhaze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2015, 12:11:17 PM »

This is looking awesome so far, but that name... Every time I see this thread pop up, all I see is the words "race war". I'm not sure that's the sort of baggage you want to drop on the game as it builds momentum - just do a Google search for the words to see what I mean. Maybe a small change to something like Intergalactic Race Warriors might work better?

Rilem
Level 1

Pirate King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2015, 11:41:52 PM »

Intergalactic Race Warriors does sound pretty badass! How could we not see that? Thanks for the suggestion!

My dev partner is gone for a few days but I'll change the working title for now. Smiley

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2015, 02:00:58 AM »

I like the look of the prototype! the name change is really a good thing Wink
will you be able to do front/back-flips and gain some kind of bonus?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2015, 02:16:16 AM »

Would Racing Warriors be even less ambiguous? Or is that incorrect English?
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2015, 02:24:09 AM »

*following*  Kiss

Rilem
Level 1

Pirate King

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2015, 02:45:01 AM »

Yeah we've discussed some kind of boost meter + flip tricks mechanic. It's something we still need to play with. Smiley

And Racing Warriors sounds a bit less cool. :/ Race Warriors is good for now.
I've never even heard of a Race Warrior in ethnic context, so I think we're good. :p

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic