Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411415 Posts in 69361 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 03:49:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioProcedural Sound Effects / Audio
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Procedural Sound Effects / Audio  (Read 1766 times)
travis_foo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2015, 03:17:05 PM »

I was wondering if anyone had gone about doing procedural audio in their games. I'm learning Pure Data right now and working on getting it integrated with Unity. The last posts on pure data / procedural audio (based off a short search) were from 3+ year ago. I know of some other sound synthesizers too, Super Collider and Max. Any procedural audio people out there?
alyxjones
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 10:10:24 AM »

Supercollider was my preference, but procedural audio is fascinating and being more and more looked into.
It depends how much you sit on the balance of 100% generative audio (that would probably sound messy, because everything would be randomly generated) or reactive audio (very common) where sound effects and music react to the player.
Would love to talk more, interesting subject if nothing else  Kiss
Michael Klier
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 12:14:19 AM »

I'm very interested in procedural generated audio too. A while back I tried to get PureData running nicely within Unity3D using this [1]. I had it working but there's an issue that just kills the Unity Editor from time to time and I found it too annoying to continue down this route Shrug.

At the moment I'm looking at the heavy compiler [2] from enzienaudio. It supports a good amount of PD objects and it even lets you create Wwise Plugins from Pure Data patches. I haven't tried it yet and the documentation is a little sparse but overall this looks quite promising.

[1] https://github.com/patricksebastien/libpd4unity
[2] https://enzienaudio.com/

Sound Design, Audio Implementation, Music
Reel Twitter
Working on

Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 05:23:46 AM »

Any procedural audio people out there?

Gentleman
travis_foo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 03:21:38 PM »

I'm very interested in procedural generated audio too. A while back I tried to get PureData running nicely within Unity3D using this [1]. I had it working but there's an issue that just kills the Unity Editor from time to time and I found it too annoying to continue down this route Shrug.

At the moment I'm looking at the heavy compiler [2] from enzienaudio. It supports a good amount of PD objects and it even lets you create Wwise Plugins from Pure Data patches. I haven't tried it yet and the documentation is a little sparse but overall this looks quite promising.

[1] https://github.com/patricksebastien/libpd4unity
[2] https://enzienaudio.com/

So yeah, I got pd4unity working in my project. What crashes were you getting? I've only got one, but the fix was to simply comment out one line of code. I also switched to 32-bit unity.

Any procedural audio people out there?

Gentleman

So I have this book called Designing Sound that I picked up at GDC this year. http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Sound-Andy-Farnell/dp/0262014416 It's amazing. About 2 weeks ago I was someone who had no idea what anything involving sound in games was, and now I feel at least *somewhat* capable. I have a long way to go though.

But I already have a ton of ideas. Like a robot vocoder for procedural text-to-speech in game. Or using parameters to make dynamic sound effects, like changing the sound of footsteps based on the material.
Michael Klier
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 12:09:01 AM »

So yeah, I got pd4unity working in my project. What crashes were you getting? I've only got one, but the fix was to simply comment out one line of code. I also switched to 32-bit unity.

That "unpredictable SIGILL" the github pages is referencing. It happened fairly regularly to me. Like every 10min :[. Tried both win64/32. Could you share your fix maybe Smiley?

But I already have a ton of ideas. Like a robot vocoder for procedural text-to-speech in game. Or using parameters to make dynamic sound effects, like changing the sound of footsteps based on the material.

Yeah, there's tons of stuff to be explored. I'm mainly interested in procedural environmental sounds (wind, rain, fire) creatures and vehicles and stuff like that.

Reel Twitter
Working on

travis_foo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 10:53:31 AM »

That "unpredictable SIGILL" the github pages is referencing. It happened fairly regularly to me. Like every 10min :[. Tried both win64/32. Could you share your fix maybe Smiley?

Oh, I haven't been in editor much lately but I'm sure that would happen to me. Does it crash the actual build too? Or is it only an editor problem?
Michael Klier
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 11:21:42 PM »

Oh, I haven't been in editor much lately but I'm sure that would happen to me. Does it crash the actual build too? Or is it only an editor problem?

I have no idea, I actually didn't bother to go that far Shrug.

Reel Twitter
Working on

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 07:53:45 AM »

Not exactly a sound effect in a game, but I've been messing around with procedural audio in straight javascript. I'm implementing some stuff I've read about simulating the human vocal tract, with the aim of making a simulation that you can directly interact with - old video

Magurp244
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 11:43:05 PM »

I've been working with dynamic Image To Sound generation lately using techniques/source by Peter Meijer for sonifying depth maps.

I'm implementing some stuff I've read about simulating the human vocal tract, with the aim of making a simulation that you can directly interact with..

Thats pretty interesting, I've looked into a few tts engines for speech synthesis but that looks like you could potentially sculpt alot better output. Do you have a link to an article, or were you considering sharing the source? Whats the performance, and can it simulate different vocal ranges like male/female/child/etc?
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 12:32:39 AM »

Thats pretty interesting, I've looked into a few tts engines for speech synthesis but that looks like you could potentially sculpt alot better output. Do you have a link to an article, or were you considering sharing the source? Whats the performance, and can it simulate different vocal ranges like male/female/child/etc?

I sent you a PM with the current version. It's javascript, so the source is right there, and there should be some references near the bottom. If you want to start with this stuff, a good place is delay lines to simulate e.g. guitar strings, there's lots of stuff for example here: https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/

My prototype runs rather well in chrome, but has problems in firefox (but was fine before firefox 39 No No NO). It's a rather simple model of the vocal tract, and a long long way from being usable for text to speech stuff, but I think there are people working on that sort of thing. In principle it should be easy to change to, say, a female voice, by raising the pitch at the glottis and shortening the vocal tract, but I didn't really set the code up for it.

A related question: there's a croquet game I would like to make, but it would rely a lot on communicating the feel of the mallet hitting the ball through sound. Is there a good reference for how to do collision sounds like this?

Magurp244
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 01:15:13 PM »

Ah, you are most kind. Thank you. :D

A related question: there's a croquet game I would like to make, but it would rely a lot on communicating the feel of the mallet hitting the ball through sound. Is there a good reference for how to do collision sounds like this?

Hmm, not sure if it may help but I did find an article about Acoustic emission from impacts of rigid bodies that seems to discuss that mathematical principles of sound impacts. Theres also some pages on the properties and technical specs of croquet balls.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic