Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:57:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionCommander Jet Pack : A dangerous path[FINISHED]v1.1
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Commander Jet Pack : A dangerous path[FINISHED]v1.1  (Read 36462 times)
fiber optic asparagus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 06:49:26 AM »

but no healing powerups?

I have mooselike reflexes
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 05:37:15 PM »

No, there's health powerups, dropped from enemies and jars.
I really want to update with a playable area 1, but I still gotta program a few more enemies and some more add-on things (shops, etc.) before I can start.
Speaking of enemies, here's nearly all of what I have so far programmed in-

sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 10:15:50 PM »

I love the aesthetic. LOVE IT.
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 12:07:33 PM »

I have area 1 out! I have had to do a lot more work than expected to get into the actual game/room making. Finally, I'm done with area 1 and am moving on. Here are some screenshots-

(Right) That's the same screen as in the shop. I'm lazy.

Yeah, that's the same room. They multiply. Be warned.

Download the newest version-
CJP-aDP v0.6
Controls-
Up-Fly/Select item/display page (in pause menu)
Down-Go into doors, Select item/display page (in pause menu)
Left/Right-Move/Select item (in pause menu)
A-Shoot (if have weapon)/Confirm/Begin
S-Exit shops, houses (if in one)
Q-Get off/on Mech (if on land)/Swap Info-Display screen (while paused)
W-Pause/Unpause
Space-Restart
//comments
I took out the 'S to abort venture outside of mech' thing. I didn't much like it. Instead, I simply failsafed not being able to get back to the mech (but if you can't, tell me.)
Sadly, how I did this is not too good. If you fall higher than you can jump, then you respawn at the mech. This becomes a problem when jumping off a 1-space elevation onto flat ground. You will be sent back to the mech, even though you could have just jumped back up. I'm not too sure what to do with this.
If you encounter any errors with the shop(s?) then tell me. I think it's fixed, but I don't know.
Right now I'm banking on the "add 1 week to the contest" thing. I need it. I was too arrogant to ask for musical talent before, claiming I could do it myself in my free time. I truly won't be able to, so I'm asking for the help of whoever wants to.
Any feedback is, of course, welcome.
I'll upgrade the first post in a minute...done.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 12:15:21 PM by Glyphmasta » Logged

TheKeyToDestruction
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 04:18:33 PM »

This game is so good!
Death by multiplication is a good idea!
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2009, 06:04:24 PM »

Thanks, KeyToDestruction, and welcome to TIGSource!
But, actually, I fixed area 1 a bit since v0.6. It had some really hard challenges (I'm going to put those masks in later, because right now they're just too much) and I fixed up the commander so it doesn't look like you're always taking damage (although I'm still sort of battling myself on that one). I also fixed the enemies from weirdness like jumping off the top of the screen, etc. And I still need some music, but I have implemented some of my own already (thing is, it's very unprofessional and lacks good endings, but it's still my best work.) So, I guess I'll make a formal request on the Collaboration thread. Got area 2 done today, So I'm now completely under the assumption that the game won't be due tomorrow, probably not a good idea.

TheKeyToDestruction
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 05:27:59 AM »

it's sounding good!
When are you getting the next demo out?
I can recall in an area that to the left of you there was a triangle jumping enemy closed in by jars and he'd jump off the screen and dissapear. But it sounds like you fixed that.
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 08:57:21 AM »

Yeah, I fixed that.
The next demo will be much later in the week, and probably the whole thing.

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 06:56:07 PM »

Check the top of the first post.
I finished!! Tears of Joy
Note:May be buggy.
Oh yeah, thanks so much Pgil!! Beer!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 08:24:21 PM »

awesome! downloading...

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
pgil
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2009, 08:38:21 PM »

Starting to play right now. It's hard as hell! But I will persevere...
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 08:48:33 PM »

DANGIT!!!
A room doesn't link to the right one and skips over it to the next...but it's possible to go back through the door so you can still go to that room, so no HUGE deal... more bugs to come, I assure...
(It's in the end of the space zone)
Bloody hell, I'm making an update, although not for consideration and seperate. I found an effing huge bug that I fixed earlier... in other words, I UPLOADED AN OLDER GMK!!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:07:58 PM by Glyphmasta » Logged

omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2009, 09:18:05 PM »

I'm pretty sure Derek said it wasn't due until 12:00 PST, so you've got a bit of time still Zach Gentleman

I saw that room you were talking about at the end of space, it confused me a bit at first. Also, I'm having trouble getting the shield to work. I've tried turning my back on a few bullets, but they usually just go right through my shield. And yes, I equipped it from the pause menu. Finally, I've seen a glitch where breaking pots below other pots causes the higher up pots to fly straight up at an incredible velocity, rather than obeying the laws of physics. It's not a game-breaking bug, obviously, but still looks pretty wonky.

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2009, 09:26:36 PM »

Thank god for time zones.
I know why all that's working, and why items won't display.
I'll also throw in a readme with the credits, etc in case noone gets to the end Wink
Like I said, older gmk, fixed bugs reoccurring.
Gonna fix this thing up- for good.

omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2009, 10:02:20 PM »

Ooh, I found a pretty big bug. When I bought the Moon Jewel, the thing that lets you break pots easily, I went back and saved in the nearby save room. When I went back to the room with the shop, it gives me this error message:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Key Release Event for <no key> Key
for object o_creds:

Error in code at line 82:
   if itp2=25  and o_pause.ei[17]=1 then {itm2="No Item"; itc2=1000; iim2=40; idc2=""; itp2="";};

at position 10: Cannot compare arguments.

And then, every time the shop is on the screen, it continuously gives me that message, and I'm forced to quit.

EDIT Ah wait, the one that I get when I'm near the shop is a bit different:
ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event
for object o_shop:

Error in code at line 43:
   if itp2=1 and o_pause.wpn[2]=1 then {itm2="No Item"; itc2=1000; iim2=40; idc2=""; itp2=0;};

The other one comes up when I first enter the room, and this one appears every step that the shop is on screen.

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2009, 10:35:49 PM »

Ooh, I found a pretty big bug. When I bought the Moon Jewel, the thing that lets you break pots easily, I went back and saved in the nearby save room. When I went back to the room with the shop, it gives me this error message:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Key Release Event for <no key> Key
for object o_creds:

Error in code at line 82:
   if itp2=25  and o_pause.ei[17]=1 then {itm2="No Item"; itc2=1000; iim2=40; idc2=""; itp2="";};

And then, every time the shop is on the screen, it continuously gives me that message, and I'm forced to quit.

EDIT Ah wait, the one that I get when I'm near the shop is a bit different:
ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event
for object o_shop:

Error in code at line 43:
   if itp2=1 and o_pause.wpn[2]=1 then {itm2="No Item"; itc2=1000; iim2=40; idc2=""; itp2=0;};

The other one comes up when I first enter the room, and this one appears every step that the shop is on screen.
I literally have no idea, seeing as o_creds is the credits object, it doesn't have a no key event, and it's not ever in that room! WTF
This is very odd... I'll try to spend the last 15 minutes fixing it, but there seems to be no logic behind it whatsoever...
As for everything else, all fixed (I think)...
Wait a minute... I test-deleted o_creds, and it just moved on to the next randomly associated object, and object used as a waiting period after you beat the boss... This is messed up, as NONE of these objects exist at any given time and therefore shall not be ran through for coding... and definitely not run through OTHER objects' coding! I'm speechless...
Never mind. Weirdness was because of a variable not properly assigned, and it couldn't handle it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 06:03:19 AM by Glyphmasta » Logged

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2009, 11:00:01 PM »

Well, going with this...
But if any programming peers would like to look into it, I'm going to include the .gmk in the folder in the first post. The offending areas would have to do with finding the connection between o_shop and o_creds, of which I know none of.
Dang, so close. I was testing every aspect of the game and it all worked fine and then this one problem comes along and ruins it...
Oops, actually I was screwed either way. I never programmed in an item.
I'm going to sleep, enjoy that accidental 999 gold default too there, I'll update as well as I can tomorrow, and fix this stupid bug, etc. Too late for me, though. Good luck to the rest of you! Gentleman
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:13:13 PM by Glyphmasta » Logged

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 05:23:17 AM »

Problem Solved! I'm going to keep the buggy yet legal version on the first post, but I encourage you to play the working version, as the game is pretty lame with the bug.

pgil
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 05:46:59 AM »

Oh, cool. I'll get the new version. I didn't get very far in the old one anyway. I'm starting to figure it out though  Cool
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2009, 06:50:51 AM »

Well, v0.97 is a wreck but v0.99 should be perfect... However, I've never tested beating all the bosses, etc. but I've done extensive individual testing.
More known [MAJOR SPOILERS] bugs-
When you re-beat a boss, it won't count IF you've ever did the typing thing, it will only count what you just did, making you lose progress sometimes.
Presents may be reobtainable meaning you could lose your killer present/get all 3 from the same place and turn them in at the same place and miss an item, but I don't know if I ever made a precaution. Tell me if you reobtain a present, get 2 knives, or go to the same house etc.

EDIT: Fixed aforementioned problems. Updating to most recent version.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:59:39 AM by Glyphmasta » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic