Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:03:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionCommander Jet Pack : A dangerous path[FINISHED]v1.1
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Commander Jet Pack : A dangerous path[FINISHED]v1.1  (Read 36460 times)
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2009, 11:52:49 AM »

v0.999 is out! Now I just need people to test it... report anything and everyhting!
There aren't any bugs on the top of my head except minor ones like-
player occasionally sticks in the sides of blocks when flying for a few steps
certain enemies sometimes get stuck in blocks
The enemy thing I'm not too happy of, but I only lowered the probability of it happening with fixing attempts, so now it's rare.

pgil
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2009, 04:49:20 PM »

Gah! I found two bugs, one right after the other (so they might be related). First, I got this error:
for object o_epar:

Error in code at line 4:
   o_mech.vt-=(pow/(o_pause.ei[33]+1));

at position 14: Unknown variable pow

I clicked "Ignore" and the game continued just fine.
Then I entered one of the save rooms (the one with the laser handgun)
and somehow a second instance of the mech appeared..
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2009, 05:18:45 PM »

Oops! Those objects were NOT supposed to be there, they were for testing, so that's why there were 2 mechs and all those items. Going to update in a few minutes, o.999b.

omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »

I have also come bearing news of bugs. This one is kinda like the one that plagued me with the Crescent store in the fire sea.

ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event
for object o_pickup:

Error in code at line 5:
   if o_pause.ploc[plo]=1 then instance_destroy();};

at position 18: Unknown variable plo

This one appeared after I got the Knife from the present guy in the caverns. After getting the Knife, I went to check out the room below. Seeing that it was a poison gas area, I decided to go back and save. When I went back up the room with the Knife guy, I got this error message as soon as his door was on screen. This one also constantly pops up even after being ignored, effectively preventing me from going back through that room ever again.

Some suggestions for the finished version:
- Stop the background music when the item pickup tune plays. You can hardly hear the item tune in some of the louder background themes. Besides, most adventure games (like Metroid) do this anyway for pickup tunes, and I figure you're trying to shoot for that kinda thing.
- The background music restarts in some of the rooms in an area. I think it's because you're using objects in those rooms to set the music when you come from another area. Put in a check for if the music it's trying to switch to is already playing before it plays it again.
- I find the death explosion sounds to be very annoying. You might want to tone that cacophony down.

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2009, 05:30:41 PM »

Oh, just uploaded the bug fix... now I see I have to do this stuff too. I know why it all happens, though. It'll be up soon.
All fixed... updating shortly.
And give me a few examples as to what rooms the sound resets. I got the room after the very first room, but I can't remember any others.
And I made the pickup sound louder, so it's a lot more audible now.
As for the explosion, I don't really want to make it pleasing, you're dying after all, but I did fix it up to be a bit less annoying.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 06:02:11 PM by Glyphmasta » Logged

omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2009, 07:07:48 PM »

I don't think making the pickup tune louder really solves anything, but whatevs. There's another sound reset in the room with the door that leads to the forest world, in the first area.

I've gotten pretty far so far. I've beaten the lava boss and the space boss. Are you supposed to get nothing for beating them? When I went back to the space area I checked the boss room and the space boss was back. I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen. Also, I noticed that the level 3 laser gun shots fly right over the heads of the crawly low-down enemies, such as the miniature men that spawn from blocks in the forest and the beetles that shoot out 3 bouncing bullets. You might want to make sure its bullet mask is at least as big as the bullet of the first level gun, to avoid annoyance with switching back and forth between guns.

I haven't found the level 2 mech gun yet, so I can't say much about that. I'm also having a tricky time finding more presents, such as the one I need for the guy in the fire world. I'll keep on truckin', though, and report any more bugs I find.

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2009, 07:28:25 PM »

I could only increase the volume because there's no good way I can think of to universally lower the sound volume or stop the music without adding and inputting variables.
Yeah, the bosses are supposed to be back, for [SECRET] purposes, and the bosses don't give you items.
The level 2 gun is in the jungle I'm pretty sure, and I guess I'll fix the bullets and that room sound bug. Beat the game though, it's not too far now, and I think if you downloaded the update you wouldn't be able to redeem the save.
A present will only appear in its set place only when you aren't carrying any other presents, so I'd check back in some "dead ends"...
Oh, and in the lava zone did you run across a multiplier with a heart for an eye? If so, did you defeat it and what happened after...? (I never tested it...)
Fixed it up now... Uploading 999c in a minute... I'm ready to call this v1.0 if you beat the game with no further errors.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 07:35:27 PM by Glyphmasta » Logged

omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2009, 08:36:12 PM »

Well, I beat the big boss behind the big door, which I assume was the final boss. However, when I beat him.. nothing happened. I was just left in the room, rather than being taken to the credits or whatever. Or even given an exit, if I wasn't supposed to beat him yet without an item or something.

I've also noticed that the Orb will play its tune when I enter a room that used to have a present in it, even after I've gotten that present. I doubt I've missed items in those rooms, as I've looked through them pretty thoroughly, but I still get the tone. Might be something to do with the special nature of the present items. I've heard the tone on screens with present trading rooms that I've already traded with as well, and the Orb might be reacting to the presents they keep above their doors as a marker. If that's the case, you might just want to make that present a tile or separate object that won't react to the Orb.

Ah right, and that heart multiplier enemy works fine. I even went back and killed it again to check if it would redrop the item, and it didn't. I didn't check if killing it, leaving the room without picking up the item, and coming back and killing it again would make it drop the item, though, although if you only made it drop the item if you don't already have it then it should be fine.

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2009, 08:26:20 AM »

Oh, I'll fix the orb... And you were SUPPOSED to go to the credits, fixing that. I'm pretty sure you don't have all the items, though, no matter how well you searched. There's a certain extra mile you have to go for the last 4...So keep playing!
(and I know you couldn't get Magic Scroll A, fixed that for 1.0 though)

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2009, 10:56:09 PM »

I fixed all that I'm pretty sure, v1.0 is out! All right, I'll have some more updated screenshots up tomorrow to motivate those of you who tremble at the 6MB download.
Enjoy.
EDIT: Oh yeah, and it is HARD. Don't get too angry, just explore around. Items=Power in this game. (=not constant frustration)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 11:16:13 PM by Glyphmasta » Logged

pgil
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2009, 06:46:19 AM »

!!SPOILERS AHOY!!

So.. I beat a couple of the bosses.. I think. I assume that for each of the main bosses, you're supposed to type in ONE of the spells while they're ascending, and that it's a different spell for each boss. Is this correct, and is something supposed to happen (other than being teleported back near where the game starts)?
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2009, 07:24:28 AM »

You have to type in a spell for each boss as it ascends (a guy in the fire cave tells you something along those lines) and the soul will come crashing down instead of leave the screen. When you do that for all three bosses and then go through the big door in the ruins and fight the final boss, you'll get an opportunity to type the last command when you beat him. Otherwise he'll escape with the other parts of his soul and be invincible. You can refight bosses if you didn't type the commands the first time.

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »

Was it you that had the jetpack game with a similar look. It has to be you because both games have a way of hooking you with small successes every time you play. Good stuff.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2009, 11:21:44 AM »

Hm, I don't know of what game you're talking about, but thanks anyway!

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2009, 10:23:25 AM »

Ok, I feel really stupid, but I can't figure out how to enter the door in the beginning of the game. If it is a door...

EDIT: Oh lol, it was the DOWN key. So totally not inituitive!  Durr...?

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2009, 06:27:26 PM »

Ok, I feel really stupid, but I can't figure out how to enter the door in the beginning of the game. If it is a door...

EDIT: Oh lol, it was the DOWN key. So totally not inituitive!  Durr...?

Heh heh, included in the new readme. Sorry about that...

Anyway, version 1.1 is out. For those of you who found nothing to do after you beat the game, there's a ridiculously insane challenge area for you. Save data sadly won't carry over.
Among other things, jetfuel now recharges to 100 if you're on the ground to stop getting stuck, and the commander can now thrive seperately from the mech (you'll see what I mean.)
Not for voting consideration, duh, and it's almost over anyway.
(I really doubt many people had that problem of nothing to do, either Wink)

Alexitrón
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2010, 09:49:18 AM »

Hello : I know this topic is a bit old but I just found out about this game and will love to give it a try . The problem is that all links lead to the now non-existent willhostforfood , well , at least the ones that I found . If the author or anyone else has the game and would be so awesome to upload it somewhere else , I will truly appreciate it . Yes , please and thank you .

-Alexitrón-
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2010, 11:53:26 AM »

Ah, here, I believe this will work.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7swg68

Alexitrón
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2010, 01:49:38 PM »