Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 08:54:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWave of Darkness [Isometric open-world RPG] (NEW PATCH+50% OFF ON STEAM!)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Wave of Darkness [Isometric open-world RPG] (NEW PATCH+50% OFF ON STEAM!)  (Read 2670 times)
Iggy_Dreamatrix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2015, 08:16:33 AM »

In a hurry? Go to the new update!

Hey all!  Gentleman

I'm Igor from Dreamatrix Game Studios. We are a small indie company from Croatia, and I'd like to present you our title Wave of Darkness we've been working on for several years now. It has been on Steam Early Access for four months, and we are getting ready for release in a few days!

Even though we are "90%" done with the development, and even though the game is stable and 100% playable,  there is actually a lot of work to be done post-release, so I would like to share that with you in the upcoming days, weeks and months.

Basically, we will update the game frequently as it is still in the active development, because we have a lot of more features on our minds  Smiley

As always, we welcome new ideas, suggestions and criticism Toast Right

So what is Wave of Darkness about?

Wave of Darkness is tailored for fans of hardcore old-school RPG titles, offering massive dark and gritty fantasy world which will challenge you at every step. The world of Narr is corrupted by the Dark Magic, and you will have to do your best to free land from this malicious deviance.

While most RPG titles offer very limited area for you to explore, restricting it by invisible walls, or simply with various design solutions, Wave of Darkness enables you to wander everywhere, and whenever you wish to do so. Of course, you can follow the strict path of the plot, and complete quests until you finish the game, or you can explore every bit and corner of Narr, meet various NPCs, complete side quests for them, and fight dangerous monsters.

Key Features

We have divided those features in three categories: Free character development, Open, large and rich fantasy game world and Combat and survival in the land of Narr.

• Combat and magic: A combination of Knight and Mage will work together without class restrictions and players have a wide choice of weapons or spells, they are able to use in combat;
  • Choose among 3 different races - Human, Elf and Danian and 2 genders - male or female;
  • Each character has 5 ability scores - strength, dexterity, vitality, intelligence, charisma and 7 resistance scores - fire, electric, cold, acid, poison, disease and magic.

• Streaming technology enables playing without any loading screens. All data seamlessly loads in background;
  • Travel through one large continent;
  • Explore hundreds of unique locations (dungeons, forts, camps, cemeteries, docks, mountains, canyons, flying islands, swamps, temples, shrines etc.);
  • Fight your way through more than 20 dungeons, caves, crypts, mausoleums and catacombs and rest in 3 cities - Human, Elven and Danian;
  • 150+ types of wild creatures and monsters that drop several loots so you stand a good chance of getting multiple valuable items;
  • Adaptable creature AI: depending whether it is day or night, creatures spawn and act differently. Weather conditions also influence a monster's behavior;
  • Players are free to move in this non linear world, in any direction they choose. As long as they have the necessary items or skills to survive in the field numerous quests, hundreds of NPCs.

• Discover different ways to use and combine more than 35 combat, creature lore, crafting, gathering, resistance and devotion skills;
  • Severable body parts: Every enemy in the game; monster, flying creature or human bandit, can lose a leg, an arm, head or other body parts, intensifying the experience of the battles;
  • A complex crafting system with over 25.000 usable items, allows you to make everything from food, metal, wood, stone, leather to weapons and fashion armors;
  • Powerful spell creation system gives unlimited possibilities and easy use, if you have magic runes. Just drag them to the slots in the spell panel. Name them, give a representing icon and level (faith consumption). Click create and your magic icon will appear in the inventory. Then drag a spell into one of the slots;
  • "Identify Item" feature: Players will find magical items that have to be identified in oracle shrines scattered throughout the world to discover the item's unique properties;
  • Unlocking System with Runes: using specific runes players can interactively unlock and activate locked chests or crates and other mechanisms in the game;
  • System of sacrifices: The 3 gods; Perun, Veles and Svarog each have their own shrines throughout the continent. Activating a shrine opens the sacrifice panel with options to sacrifice items and gain divine favours.

Gameplay trailer

Game intro

Screenshots

Artwork

Soundtrack

Thank you!  Toast Right

Thoughts, questions, suggestions? Fire away!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 06:18:25 AM by Iggy_Dreamatrix » Logged

I'm a community manager and developer at Dreamatrix Game Studios, a studio behind an RPG title Wave of Darkness.
zombieonion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 10:22:52 AM »

Looks really great, and professional.
Hope your release goes well!
Iggy_Dreamatrix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 10:43:45 AM »

Looks really great, and professional.
Hope your release goes well!

Thanks! I'll do my best to keep the TIG updated :-P

I'm a community manager and developer at Dreamatrix Game Studios, a studio behind an RPG title Wave of Darkness.
Iggy_Dreamatrix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 01:34:11 PM »

Hey all,

I'm excited to announce that Wave of Darkness intro video is now live!

Please let us know what do you think of it! :-)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 02:02:39 PM by Iggy_Dreamatrix » Logged

LTPATS
Level 0

odd games, odd time signatures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 02:10:03 PM »

Just watched the trailers and wow, this already looks like it has a lot of depth an polish! As a huge fan of the Diablo and Gothic series this game looks like something I'd enjoy. I'm definitely keeping my eye on this!

Iggy_Dreamatrix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 02:38:24 PM »

Just watched the trailers and wow, this already looks like it has a lot of depth an polish! As a huge fan of the Diablo and Gothic series this game looks like something I'd enjoy. I'm definitely keeping my eye on this!

Thanks LTPATS, more stuff coming soon :-)

Iggy_Dreamatrix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 04:17:41 AM »

Hello all, again.

In this update I want to talk with you regarding:

Spellcrafting in Wave of Darkness

Basically, you create a spell using the runes. Different runes add different spell capabilities such as damage, protection or healing. Each runes gives different effect.

Also, the spells made in Wave of Darkness are upgradeable. More you use them, stronger they become. As you can see from the following picture, each spell has progress bar at the top. As you use this spell, its progress bar will be filled and your spell will gain next level. When the spell becomes upgraded, it will become stronger.

Each new spell you create has Level 1. Unless you use new runes. In addition to regular runestones, now you have Danian Runestones, Mystic Runestone and Blessed Runestones. Each of these act as original runes, only difference is that they guarantee that newly created spell will be of certain level. For example, each Danian Runestone gives level +2 to newly crafted spell.

Questions? I'm all ears :-)

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 05:12:29 AM »

Welcome! I'm impressed by your lighting in the game, feels like you've put a lot of work with different coloured lights, creates a very vibrant environment!

I'm wondering why you're transitioning into full launch after just four months in Early Access if there's still a lot of things you want to make post release. Wouldn't it be better to stay there awhile?

YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 05:26:40 AM »

Wow! This is looking great. As a Diablo fanboy, I'm eager to see more.  Kiss

Iggy_Dreamatrix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 06:26:06 AM »

Welcome! I'm impressed by your lighting in the game, feels like you've put a lot of work with different coloured lights, creates a very vibrant environment!

I'm wondering why you're transitioning into full launch after just four months in Early Access if there's still a lot of things you want to make post release. Wouldn't it be better to stay there awhile?

Well, the release for us simply means that we are now declaring Wave of Darkness a complete rounded product.

Being too long in Early Access can be counterproductive. Some titles on Steam are for "eons" in Early Access, but we don't want that. We have rounded up all the features we want in the game and integrated them. Everything works, the game is stable and playable, with all the features we wanted to have.

So we don't want to cease or stop the development post-release, because if someone, whether from the studio or from the community has a great idea, we would definitely consider putting it in the game. And we have a lot of cool ideas in queue  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 06:47:17 AM by Iggy_Dreamatrix » Logged

Iggy_Dreamatrix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 06:26:50 AM »

Wow! This is looking great. As a Diablo fanboy, I'm eager to see more.  Kiss

Thanks! :-)

Iggy_Dreamatrix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 03:20:15 PM »

Empowered, Blessed and Cursed items! Hand Metal Right

In this update I would want to talk to you a bit about Empowered, Blessed and Cursed items in Wave of Darkness. So, what are those?

Empowered Items

Some items have magical bonuses which draw their power from certain relics. Player can have up to four such relics active at any given time. These relics improve all item’s special bonuses. For example, if you have empowered 'Long Sword of Fire' which causes +5 fire damage on each hit and if this sword is empowered using Jeweled Skulls, if you have one such skull, your sword will cause +10 fire damage, if you have two skulls, sword will cause +15 fire damage etc. up to +25 fire damage if you have four such relics.

There are over 20 types of relics scattered throughout the world and thousands of items (practically all equippable items) that can be empowered using such relics. This means all swords, axes and other weapons, armors, helmets, pants, boots, rings, necklaces, shields and many other items can be empowered in this way. Catch is that they do not all use the same relic to empower them so you will have to choose whether you wish to empower your weapons, or armors, or maybe magical rings.

Cursed Items

We have also introduced cursed items. These are magical items whose properties player does not know until he identifies such items using oracle stones. Cursed items act in similar way. They look like normal or magical items but they carry curses with them. Once equipped, curse becomes active and item cannot be removed unless you visit the shrine of good god.

You won't know if the item holds a curse until you identify it.

Curses range from those that prevent you to regenerate health or faith, to those that destroy your ability to cast spells or even those that remove all your resistances making you helpless in any magical fight. Cursed items can be identified the same way players used to identify magical items - by visiting oracle stones.

Also, we have added durability to equippable items. Each of these items gets damaged during combat. You can fix them of course. You can buy repair tools and fix all your items as much as you like.

Cursed items have a red glow in your inventory.

Blessed Items

These items are blessed by one of three main gods - Perun, Svarog or Veles and they give players additional bonuses at the cost - each item has blessing that lasts for up to one hour of gameplay. Once blessing runs out, item behaves as normal non-magical item. Blessings can be 'recharged' using god shrines that are placed throughout the wilderness.

We have added additional data about weapons such as bonuses to weapon type vs. creature, bonuses to critical hit chance whether you are using small weapons (1 handed swords/maces/axes, knives etc.) or large weapons (staves, pole-arms, 2 handed weapons) and more.

Minimal requirements required to use certain items are here too, such as minimal ability scores, level or skill required. Also, some items can be used only by characters of certain race or gender.

So what do you think? I'm all ears  Smiley

Jabberwocky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 08:01:17 PM »

Wow, that's a daunting project for an indie team, but the video and screenshots looks great!  Congrats for pulling it off.  You guys look like you've targeted the hardcore arpg market really well.

A google search tells me you guys roll your own game engine, too?
You guys certainly don't mind taking on a challenge. 

Good luck with the launch!
And thanks for taking the time to share your devlog during what must be a really crazy time.
Iggy_Dreamatrix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 12:00:51 AM »

Wow, that's a daunting project for an indie team, but the video and screenshots looks great!  Congrats for pulling it off.  You guys look like you've targeted the hardcore arpg market really well.

A google search tells me you guys roll your own game engine, too?
You guys certainly don't mind taking on a challenge. 

Good luck with the launch!
And thanks for taking the time to share your devlog during what must be a really crazy time.

Thanks man Smiley

Yup, everything is custom-made. At a time we started Wave of Darkness, other engines were still extremely expensive for us, so we decided to make our own.

Iggy_Dreamatrix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »

HUGE NEWS!

Wave of Darkness is released on Steam!

Well, it finally happened! Today is THE biggest day for Dreamatrix and Wave of Darkness, because our ambitious RPG title is out of Early Access and has launched on Steam!

It took four months to iron-out the bugs and implement new features into the game.

Some fun facts about the Early Access and what we did during that period:

• Wave of Darkness is now with a complete voiceover;
  • We have applied over 70 patches;
  • Added over 15 new features, some bigger, some smaller;
  • Applied combat mechanics optimizations;
  • And much more!

Wave of Darkness tutorial videos

While Wave of Darkness offers a tutorial level, we have also decided to do something special for our present fans and future customers, so we recorded three tutorial videos.

The special thing about those videos is that we made them together with - CRPGNUT from RPGWatch. Jim, a simply awesome guy and an amazing person generously offered his voiceover services for the videos, and this is the result!

Moving and looking around

Spell Crafting

Character generator and more

Thank you for your attention Toast Right

Questions? Fire away!

Iggy_Dreamatrix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 06:16:39 AM »

Hey all!

After I've been somewhat absent since the release, we have dome some hefty work on the game, and have released a new patch.

We have spent a lot of time to tamper with several aspects of gameplay, namely, the spells. The spells are now completely "unstacked" which means you don't need to wait for casted spell to expire. In other words, you can cast as many spells as you like, as long as you have enough Faith to cast spells with.

Other than that, we have also fixed several annoying bugs, as well as some new features. For example, it is now possible to carry two-handed weapon while the secondary hand has an item in it.

Here is the full changelog for Patch 1.80:

• change: protection spell effects should not be stackable anymore, only min/max values are used
  • change: creature auras effects should not be stackable anymore, only min/max values are used
  • change: poisonous plants auras effects should not be stackable anymore, only min/max values are used
  • change: "creatures" to "Venomous Spiders" in "Warmongers" quest description
  • change: darkened secondary hand item while using two handed weapons
  • change: it is now possible to carry two handed weapon while secondary hand has item in it, it stays in secondary hand item slot but it is not used
  • change: 3d model of secondary hand weapon/shield will not be rendered if primary hand has two-handed item in it
  • fix: fixed light crash bug
  • fix: added doors for central dungeon in Sidis Tarea
  • fix: added quest check at these doors so that they cannot be opened without using Crown of Time, Crown of Decision, Crown of Change and Crown of Essence items on the pillars around the dungeon entrance
  • change: Amulet of Time/Decision/Change/Essence items are now changed to Crown of Time/Decision/Change/Essence with corresponding icons
  • change: critical bonus not applied to secondary hand items while carrying two handed weapon in primary hand
  • change: armor, defense, attack, damage, resistance modifiers, ability modifiers not applied to secondary hand items while carrying two handed weapon in primary hand
  • change: attack/defense/damage/armor vs creature type not applied to secondary hand items while carrying two handed weapon in primary hand
  • fix: Cave of Winds smoke/cloud texture added
  • fix: tooltips for the inventory bag names are now displayed correctly

Although, that's not all!

Wave of Darkness now supports Steam Controller!

Thanks to the incredible effort from Wave of Darkness player "mUnday", WoD now supports Valve's controller.

All you have to do is to find the template created by "mUnday" and that's basically it.

Here it is how it works:

• ABXY are mapped for hotbar 1-4, while holding the left grip ABXY switch to 5-8;
  • Also can toggle through hotbars 1-5 with the right and left shoulder buttons;
  • Right grip is TAB and will target closest enemy;
  • Inventory, skills etc are mapped to the directional pad;
  • Quest log is mapped to right pad click;
  • Double "tap" the right pad for quick save;
  • Start button is ESC and will close windows or go to the Menu;
  • Back button opens the map;
  • Left click is set for ready weapon (definitely going to change it, maybe to taunt - mUnday);
  • Right pad is set for mouse;
  • Right and Left Trigger are left and right mouse click;

Finally, Wave of Darkness is 50% OFF on Steam right now!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic