Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:20:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingProject "Dusted Donuts", a game about Space, Loneliness, and Rock People
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project "Dusted Donuts", a game about Space, Loneliness, and Rock People  (Read 572 times)
Carpetwurm
Level 0

Nobody

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2015, 01:17:48 PM »

So I believe my game is ready to be playtested. I've been working on it for over a month, and it seems to be in nice enough condition for playtesting. There are a few bugs, which I listed in the games description. Feedback and criticism is welcome, since I want to improve this to the best of my capabilities. Nothing is really final, either, so that's a good thing. I'm not even sure if it's going to be played on browsers yet.

Also, I'm sorry about how long the game takes to load. This is one of the reasons it may not be ported to Flash.

Anyways, here's a link to test it on.

http://juicebox.itch.io/dusted?secret=f2O1i5p1bxDnowQcWSRjek0Aqg

(Feel free to share this around the web.)

>Forum signatures
>[current year]
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 02:03:23 PM »

The visual is a bit too much newgrounds(Edmund McMillen) inspired.
Hard to make a difference between the ground and the obstacles(walls).

Is it a walking simulator or a puzzle game?
fingerman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 03:23:05 PM »

Hi JuiceBox,

I'll just leave you my observations.

Totally agree especially on the first planet.

I got into the rocket on earth too early and couldn't get out so I only had 3/4 tubes! It#s good that there is a different soundeffect for when you collect all the tubes though. that way you know that you can head to the rocket.

Like it says on the site, the game crashed after the second planet haha.

Take care, fingerman

Carpetwurm
Level 0

Nobody

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 04:56:52 PM »

The visual is a bit too much newgrounds(Edmund McMillen) inspired.

Is it a walking simulator or a puzzle game?

None of the art is final, and most of it is done by me. My style is extremely good at not being my own, which is why it looks really Edmund-ish.

I could see how the second planet could throw you off, but I thought the first planet would have obvious separation between walls and ground.

Also it's basically a walking simulator at this point Tongue I'm looking into making it more about exploration, by adding secrets and special events into the mix, so we'll how it does.

I got into the rocket on earth too early and couldn't get out so I only had 3/4 tubes!

I can try implementing a system to fix this, possibly a yes/no input from the player, asking whether or not they want to leave.

Anyways, thanks to both of you for your input! ^)^

>Forum signatures
>[current year]
k_polke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 07:25:37 PM »

Pretty cool so far.

+
Like the character, but would love to have some arms or a backstory why it doesn't have any
Good music/SFX. Love how the SFX are in key with the BGM
Good character movement

-
Not sure what the direction of the game is
Wish I had a fuel cell ticker so I know how many more I need to gather before hopping in the rocket ship
ARMS! (completely subjective)
Colors! Hard to differentiate between the different surfaces
Space background as trippy to look at as well.
Keyhole door and not collecting keys? I avoided the brown square, not realizing I needed to step on it to open the door.

Overall seems pretty cool! Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing what comes next! Also, would you happen to know ThePixelrobin per chance?

Carpetwurm
Level 0

Nobody

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 12:23:52 PM »

Also, would you happen to know ThePixelrobin per chance?

Yes, actually I do know PixelRobin, we're good friends.

I forgot to mention that none of the art is final, and most of it is just placeholder art.

I wrote a short description of what I want the game to be like in the game's itch.io page.

Also, if you're really interested in the lore, I wrote some here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b405gO-2tNtfxmCoOfLY-oFksfXMgZaitOCO3_V1fIQ/edit?usp=sharing

All in all, thanks for the feedback  Coffee

>Forum signatures
>[current year]
RedHickory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 09:20:57 PM »

I like the visual style of your game, even with the similarity of some of the color choices.  Movement is smooth and I like how you can walk a little bit behind some of the walls.  I agree that some sort of story would really add a lot.  As a walking simulator at this point it's really not all that interesting, but it seems like a good base for something that might be interesting eventually.

My browser-based RPG (WIP) - Chronicles of Tright.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic