Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:07:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Feedback on some art for my current video game project
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Feedback on some art for my current video game project  (Read 906 times)
Ndrphn
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2015, 02:14:35 AM »

I am working on a full game since January.
Being a painter ( canvas and paper ), i had to learn to work on softwares, with a small wacom tablet.
Having found the concept of my game, i intended in the first place to create world and environement.

It will be some kind of shoot 'em up, with humanoid characters instead of space ships, and a gloomy dead world instead of space environement.
That is why i propose some visual that will scroll itself throught game progression.
i will later start a devlogs topic, as soon as i'll have some gifs that will describe a bit of game mechanics,
speak about the story,painting technics, etc

You can find my past art projects in here : http://bornesdelaconscience.blogspot.fr/
It' mostly concerns paintings, montages, expériencial movies ,writings, exhibit reports....

Let me know your impressions on the following visuals, i need some feedback on these, thanks  Smiley

if i may first introduce our main character:

Here's worlds she'll be diving in :

10 there will be some paralax with these dark root/trees

zombieonion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 10:40:38 PM »

Your backgrounds look good, but it's hard to tell how they will look when there's gameplay on top of them. Make that devlog thread and start deving!
Good luck
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 02:57:32 PM »

/\ what he said. But by themselves, these are pretty great! Very atmospheric, each with its own unique markings. I like them. I would use them as wallpapers Tongue

sandy
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 04:06:56 PM »

these work as static pieces, but as game assets they will be difficult to make look good in motion. the high fidelity will make integrating all the assets a big pain. for example, getting the main character to be lit properly given all the different light sources will be impossible without either spending a huge amount of time or having a lot of programming know-how; the higher fidelity of your assets makes inconsistencies like this stand out all the more.

also a foreseeable problem: animating in such a style will be very, very difficult.

coming from a painting background, i understand that it can be very tempting to make a bunch of fun assets right off the bat, but imo your time would be best spent making all the assets for a /single/ level (background, characters, enemies, UI), making sure that they work, and that it's a style that's scalable (italicized for importance) and appropriate for the size of the project you want. this is of course assuming you already have a fun prototype! the needs of the game could change very drastically and changing course is made all the more difficult if you've already spent a bunch of time making assets that the change would make obsolete.

good luck!
Ndrphn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 12:29:42 AM »

Thank you very much people, i appreciate a lot to read you all.

(I hope) i'll soon be able to present a video of my prototype where all of this is moving.

For the animation part, i chosed to use ragdoll. Not beeing a programmer at all, i use Construct 2 software.

Been working on Gamefeel lately, noises and graphics that will give life to it all.

Again, i appreciate a lot your constructed and interresting words on it, thanks a lot.

Will come back soon with a proper devlog, and presenting something closer to a videogame.
BadIdeas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 09:50:11 AM »

Here's some feedback: I was like Shocked and pissed myself scrolling down to see you character.
If horror is what you're going for then you're doing a great job, friend.   Beer!
Ndrphn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 02:46:51 AM »

Well that's a pleasant feedback, thank you man, horror is indeed the universe that imposed scrolling will head us to
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic