Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:25:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessCompany name decision
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Company name decision  (Read 677 times)
Lauchobst
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2015, 05:10:29 AM »

I'm planning to release a game in the near future and so I thought, I need to come up with a name under which I publish games. I have a few ideas but I'm not sure which aspects are the most important for choosing a name.

For example:
-Are less google search results important? (so that the company may be found faster)
-Are similar already existing company names a problem?
-When googling the name, is the google correction suggestion a bad thing?
-Is the name good at all?

I know a name is not that important for a company if the games are good, but if I have to choose a name anyway, then I might as well choose a good one.
I'm not planning on making just specific games in general so the name shouldn't restrict the freedom of making different games.
Here are a few words on which I will aim with my games: minimalism, mechanic-driven, tricky, imaginative, innovative, varied, immersive

So here are the best names that i came up with:
Spacehead Games    (express creative thoughts to the world, -already existing companies named "spacehead")
Impaclumi    (impact + luminous, +has no google search reults)
Impropulse    (improvement/improvision + pulse)
Byting Games    (byte + biting -> game doesn't let you go (addictive), a bit aggressive in a positive way, kind of highlights the games)

There are no websites registered for these names. Currently I tend to "Byting Games", because it is short, sounds good and has a suitable meaning. But I don't know if my criteria for my decision are right so I'm asking this forum to evaluate these names.

Thanks for every suggestion. Smiley
Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 06:25:23 AM »

The only one from your list I wouldn't have too much problem trying to remember would be Spacehead games, though even there, it sounds like it is a bit long.
Other terms are too complex. Think of the biggest names out there:
Ubisoft = simple
Blizzard = an actual word
Bethesda = they actually struggled with their name for a while, and thank god it's also the name of a city!

Pick one word that is short and simple and efficient.
Then, make sure this word doesn't mean something you don't want (aka, if you intend on promoting a fiery attitude for you and or your team, don't pick a term that refers to ice, etc.)
Everything else is fair game!
Lauchobst
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 05:57:36 AM »

I have further thought about which name I should take and I came to the conclusion, that I still like "Byting Games" the most, besides as you said, the name must be short, rememberable and not including wrong meanings. Which I find "Byting Games" applied to the most. In the end I think it's best to choose the name I personally like the most, because I must identify myself with it.
Thanks for your reply, it helped me getting a reliable decision.
BishopGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 10:09:50 AM »

A name for your game/company has to be personal. It has to have some sort of meaning (to you, at least), since you will be ''stuck'' with it for a while.

Though, I agree with the other poster, I wouldn't remember most of your suggestions after a while. Too long and complicated, in my opinion. Try to find something more catchy or shorter, maybe?

Just look at the biggest brands in the world, sure there are weird names out there, but most are short words that ''punch'' or feel good: Nike, Mazda, Steam, Pepsi, Blizzard, Ford, Honda, etc.

In the end, the decision comes down to your own personal choice and as long as you are happy with your company's name, that's OK.

Co-founder at http://bishopgames.com/ and http://lightfallgame.com/
Currently working on our first title called Light Fall
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bishopgamesstudio
and Twitter: https://twitter.com/BishopGamesStd
Canned Turkey
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 10:30:49 AM »

Don't worry about the name.
If you call your "company" trashmaster games, and make a good game, the name it's published under doesn't matter.
Mak gams not nams.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic