Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:35:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFight the tentacle (Webgl , Unity player and windows)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fight the tentacle (Webgl , Unity player and windows)  (Read 1749 times)
RunoverSnoozer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2015, 04:00:36 AM »

Hello
Me and my friend have been working on this top down shooter where you start with one investigator and get more and more investigators as the games zoomes out. Main part was done last year but we are still fixing and planning for the full version.
Try it on windows:

On webbplayer:
Unity Webgl(Firefox, chrome)

3 stages of the game:

Video can be found here:

So we will be looking for feedback and improvment suggestions in any area realy.
Is it clear how to control the game?  
How far did you make it ?   (level 1-2-3)
Is some kind of checkpoint /save game system needed ?
Is it worth to make an full version, 5 levels more ?  (More investigators, guns and mosters on the screen)

More information at Indiedb.

Best regards
Mikael

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:49:30 AM by RunoverSnoozer » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 10:31:51 AM »

I really like the aesthetic this game has going.  I didn't make it very far (only the first level, I think), but it looks interesting so far. 

The game could use a bit more feedback on a few things, especially on clicking elements of the game.  Since a click can either move your guys, or select something (whether it be a team, an enemy to target, or a weapon) it should be more clear what the game considers the mouse to be hovering over, since there were a lot of times where I would try to use the mouse to target an enemy, switch weapons, or switch teams, and my current team would just move instead.  It would also be nice to have some feedback about which enemies are currently being targeted.

RunoverSnoozer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 03:02:03 AM »

Hi Alec s.
I think your improvment suggestions are spot on.
* Mouse over function.
* Enemy target indicator in some way =) 
Would make it much clearer.  (Early stages we planned a mouse over function but when we built for android we skipped that part)

Tnx for the play!

RunoverSnoozer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 02:43:27 AM »

So we improved the games controls quite heavy introducing right-clicks for targeting enemys. This because missclicking happend quite often resulting in groups kamikazee into the enemys  Cry

Bracket to show targets.

Highlights on enemyseys on mouse over

Actually theese changes made the game much easier, maybe to easy  ?
Have a try and tell us if you made it til the end, screenshoot of end text or it didnt happend  Well, hello there!

RunoverSnoozer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 03:44:51 AM »

Added webgl to test with:
Unity Webgl(Firefox, chrome)
Its seams like the graphic is a bit compressed and the audio is glitching somethimes.
But it works in Chrome and Edge for me at least.  Coffee
Anyone else getting it to start ?

LTPATS
Level 0

odd games, odd time signatures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 04:28:28 PM »

I had a lot of fun with this once I got the hang of the controls. Scrolling through the characters felt a little slow sometimes since I would want to move them quickly but I'd have to scroll through all of the other groups just to get to them. Also there were some times where I accidentally moved my characters to the corner of the screen when trying to click on the scroll button. The game was pretty challenging overall, I got to the second level twice but after that I could barely keep 2-3 characters alive at once. A more slowed-down tutorial or smoother learning curve couldn't hurt but that depends on what you're going for. The overall aesthetic is pretty cool and could definitely look really unique when finished. Looking forward to seeing more! Grin

RunoverSnoozer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 03:58:42 AM »

Hi LTPATS
Im glad that you had fun while playing  Smiley
Thanks for the well written summary of your experience. It seams that the control isnt that easy to understand yet. Acctually there are 3 ways to select groups. (Klick on a investigator, press space, or klick top left)  We will make the help point that out and point it out for a longer time, thanks to you  Toast Right

The intention wasnt to make players bearley make it to level 2, so i can say we will make the level 1 boss less deadly(i suspect that is the moment where alot of men die). We want it to be a hard game but not to be irritating hard Smiley. When players dont make it to mid level 2 or level 3 they miss specialweapons. (I think they are the most fun part of the game. I like to taunt 2 times and then shoot a couple of specials. ^^)

Next version, i hope we  have the checkpoint system in place. So ppl dont have to grind lower levels if the dont feel like to.  

Tnx for the Play!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 06:04:32 AM by RunoverSnoozer » Logged

danbolt
Level 0

Super Radish Witch Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 10:11:36 PM »

I gave it a quick go using Unity WebGL! I loved the vibe, especially the guitar in the background music.

I found using my mouse it was a bit difficult to know which guy I was supposed to left/right click on and move them. I'm not sure if a tiny tutorial would be what you're going for, but I'd be tempted to add that just to explain the mechanics.

Otherwise, it looks cool! Really busy, but neat! Keep up the good work!

Super Radish Witch Dev Blog
Check it out here!
RunoverSnoozer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 08:52:36 AM »

Hi danbolt
Glad you like the music. I compose it o my guitar.  Each level has a differents track. In the game i would call it accustic metal  Hand Metal Right . In the menu its just relax guitar  Smiley

We will add more to the tutorial and maybe slow down the phasse during the tutorial. A mouse over for the groups will be implemented. I think that the hardest part is to show the players that the men are running in groups. In level 1 you have up to 3 groups. Level 2 4 groups .. so on.

Tnx for the play!

Gkxd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 06:12:11 PM »

Something that I noticed immediately when I started the game is that my mouse felt laggy. The cursor would drag behind where I feel like my mouse should be.

The controls themselves are a bit weird to use. I kept wanting to left click the monsters to shoot them, but that moved the characters to the monsters instead. I couldn't really understand what I had to do, since the auto-targeting seemed to do everything for me.

I definitely would've liked a better tutorial or some instructions on what to do.

I also think you need some bullet visuals. I couldn't tell that I was actually attacking the enemies, and I was confused when they died. It took me a pretty long time to realize that the enemies turned orange-ish when you attack them.

I do like the general feel of the game, especially when the screen fills up with monsters. It reminds me of the times when I played grinding MMOs, and I had the most fun in those games when I gathered large groups of mobs and AOE'd all of them to death. If you can capture that feeling in this game, I think you'd have something really fun.
RunoverSnoozer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 04:22:26 AM »

Hi Gxkd
What version did you fell mouselagg on ? Webgl  or windows?  

It takes a few runs to get complete hang of the controls. We will add this to second 3 from the start of the game. Hanging there to read for 10 seconds Smiley

I dont want people to quit in missclick rage  Wink

The autotarget will do the job for you until more dangerous monsters arrive. Then its best to start target them by yourself. This means you can read the tutorial signs without dying.  

Did you play with sound, becuse the blink red/orange when you shoot. Some weapons have bullets like grenades. But we dont want to many things on the screen, like bullets from 30 guys, its packed as it is already later in the game.

On level 2 when get the airstrike, you have that AOE feeling. Or even more when the special weapons will push the enemies, you could get some combos. Push enemies into AOE's.

Tnx for the play!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:45:50 AM by RunoverSnoozer » Logged

Gkxd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 10:40:58 AM »

I felt mouse lag in both versions.
RunoverSnoozer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 04:31:18 AM »

Tnx for feedback Gkxd.  Toast Left
I tried to fix the lag in both webgl and windows.

Code change (Unity nerdery  Smiley):
Im using unity and was drawing the mouse last on the OnGUI() call. (i only have one to draw all gui in the game).
I changed to use the built in cursor. So the new versions are using that instead.

Hope it fixed it!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic