Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:06:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessReady for Greenlight Submission, Do I need a crowdfunding campaign?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ready for Greenlight Submission, Do I need a crowdfunding campaign?  (Read 794 times)
JustColorado
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2015, 04:16:34 PM »

Hello Everybody,

After a lot of hard work, we feel we are ready to submit for Greenlight.   The game is 90% complete.  Our designer made nice video with lots of gameplay footage that shows off what we have built.  We can launch in a month if need be.   I don't need really need money from crowdfunding to get the project completed. 

Of course everyone can always use more money. But personally, I don't want to make a special video pitch for kickstarter.  I don't want to give out rewards.  I just want to make games.  I would like to just submit it to Greenlight and let the people decide if they want this game or not.  But I have heard rumors like: 

In 2015 you must do both at the same time.
     A successful crowdfund will guarantee a greenlight.
     Yada Yada

So........

MY QUESTION IS

Do I need to do both?

Any responses will be greatly appreciated!!!!

But please include your experiences with it in your response as well.  ie.  I have done this 10x and I feel that... or I haven't actually done this yet but I strongly feel that...

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 07:19:58 AM »

If your game is 90% complete, you're in as good a position as you can be for a Steam Greenlight. Late in development is a great time to run the campaign as you have most of the assets in place and should be able to show a lot of the gameplay.

You definitely do NOT need to do a Kickstarter to have a successful Greenlight campaign.

I've had 3 projects greenlit (not 10 sorry) and my last game was greenlit in 11 days. These days its pretty easy to get onto Steam. The difference between being greenlit in a week vs being greenlit in 3-4+ months is really going to come down to the quality of your title and your presentation of it. Well presented projects will fly through greenlight and those that don't are poorly presented can linger in limbo for months (or in extreme cases, just never be greenlit). But the bar is pretty low these days (e.g. if Grass Simulator & Gabe Newell Simulator can make the cut, so can you).

JustColorado
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 12:39:49 PM »

Thank you so much for your insightful reply.  I just submitted already getting a bunch of really nasty hate comments, I am guessing that is bad?Huh?  Anyway here is the greenlight link please tell me what you guys think.........

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=549325949
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:36:05 PM by JustColorado » Logged
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 02:36:19 AM »

After a lot of hard work, we feel we are ready to submit for Greenlight.   The game is 90% complete.  Our designer made nice video with lots of gameplay footage that shows off what we have built.  We can launch in a month if need be.   I don't need really need money from crowdfunding to get the project completed.  

Reading and looking at the submission greenlight, all i can say is that:

-It doesn't look like the game is 90% complete. For a successful greenlight submission, you need to post at least screenshots of how the game looks like when you play the game. All you have here is screenshots that looks like coming from assets store, and the most interesting one is just a drawing.
-the gameplay in the video looks buggy, incomplete, and might not be funny to play.
-Assets Store
-Assets store

It's no wonder you get negative reaction. I'd give nasty comments too.

Sorry, it's overall really bad.  The ugly thing is that this is probly going te be greenlit, seeing how low the bar is nowadays.

And for those of you who are into indie things. Don't worry, this game is not mainstream at all, and never will be. Ironically, we have been making indie projects since before it was cool.

lol...

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 02:56:26 AM »

If you wonder why you are getting negative comments, think again.
JustColorado
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 04:39:11 PM »

@Bakkusa - Thank you.  Your reply was insightful.  Once I got over my crying from the hard truth, I realized you had some very good points.

I cleaned up the screenshots.  Now everything is real in-game screenshots, and it looks much better.  I even started getting much nicer comments.  The earlier screen shots that were asset display oriented were inappropriate, and so was using concept art drawings.  I wish I had put the right ones in from the start because most of the heavy voting comes day 1.

@zorg - can you elaborate.  Please, say what you are thinking.  Don't worry, after what has already been said on steam, I can handle any ugly truth.  And I want to learn as much as possible from the experience.  For me, it is not a failure if it teaches me to do it better next time. 

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 04:21:24 AM »

I think your game is about hate. So it's not surprising you are getting hate comments. The gameplay consists of  killing humans for their lifestyle you don't agree with. Why? They don't harm anyone with their lifestyle, it's their personal choice, they don't "deserve" any violence. If there is a hidden joke in your game, i don't get it.
JustColorado
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 07:33:44 AM »

@zorg  - Yes, now I see your point.  It is about hate and killing.  When I showed it to a friend he suggested I just shave the hipsters beards off instead of killing them.  He had the same concerns.  It was a great suggestion I thought but a little late in the process to do a 180 degree turn.  Originally, the central theme was about gentrification, and one group being forced out of a neighborhood when a new group moves in and the rents go up.  The video clip we made doesn't communicate this well at all.  It is evident while playing the game from the cutscenes.  But I left all of this out of the video in favor of Chopping heads off, blowing things up, blood, gore etc.  I probably should have done it more balanced.  I will consider this carefully when making another video. 

Thank you for your input
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic