Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:40:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralCheating on a loved one.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cheating on a loved one.  (Read 903 times)
Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2015, 09:15:05 PM »

Do you ever have thoughts that as soon as you have them you feel guilty? Thoughts that are so tempting you feel willing to risk something you have spent so much energy creating, and loose what was supposed to be special? Do you ever have thoughts about other games?

All joking aside how do you people deal with feelings of doubt about your current projects? I'm currently moving house, and it's forced me to spend some time away from my game, and I keep thinking about other ideas I'd really like to try. I know that some projects are bound to come to the point where you realise they're not worth the time you're spending on them, and ditching them is realistically the best thing to do, but I think the game I'm working on is actually going somewhere and recently I'v been abandoning a lot of projects. Any advice on how to stay dedicated? (Sorry if the rigged title is annoying, I'll remove the joke if it bothers peeps.)

eh
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 09:51:57 PM »

I can give advice on how to abandon projects...

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 09:52:46 PM »

Do you ever have thoughts that as soon as you have them you feel guilty?
Yeah; turns out a lot of people do this. I don't know what the technical term for it is but an old therapist friend of mine called them invasive thoughts - like when you're driving and you think "I could just turn into oncoming traffic right now and- what the fuck am I saying?" They're fairly normal and strangely not too bad of a sign, as long as they don't happen too often..

That's how I reconcile those with myself, I just identify them as invasive and ask them to kindly leave.

nikwin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 11:24:46 PM »

I had the same kind of issues when exams caused me to take some time away from a game. In my experience, it was just a hump to get over. A few days of pushing myself to work on the old game always put me back in the flow.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 12:14:31 AM »

In some cases you may actually be having better game ideas, but even if you are, does it mean you should never finish your current game? Are your new ideas really THAT much better?

You will be more prone to dreaming about other things when you subconscious has got reasons to sabotage the current project, make sure you try to check your subconscious to decide if these reasons are valid or not.
They could be things like "The workload ahead is overbearing/intimidating" or "I don't believe this will ever be something people will buy" or "My life is not in a good place right now and continuing to work is avoiding my real life problems"
Whatever the reasons are, you should try to learn them and judge them before continuing

What you may find is, once you put your mind at rest by resolving these concerns consciously you suddenly feel only motivated for your original project and can recognise other ideas as distracting daydreams

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 12:15:40 AM »

I'm of the opinion that splitting your focus on multiple projects decreases the chances of completing any of them. Having a mental cue of lined up future projects is great though. Plus, the act of waiting tends to separate the good ideas from the bad.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 06:59:18 AM »

www.gamasutra.com/view/news/256847/Video_How_to_escape_from_the_indie_dev_shame_spiral.php

1-800-HELP-NOW
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 07:17:22 AM »

I'm of the opinion that splitting your focus on multiple projects decreases the chances of completing any of them. Having a mental cue of lined up future projects is great though. Plus, the act of waiting tends to separate the good ideas from the bad.

yep. side projects are usually a death knell for your main project unless u approach them in a very planned/controlled way

waiting is also a good way to gauge long term motivation. if you're still enthusiastic about an idea several months after you first had it, that's a good indicator that you'll probably be motivated enough to stick with it through the actual creation process. at least that's how it is for me.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 07:46:27 AM »

title gave me illegally high expectations of the posts i could make in this thread and now i demand justice
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 04:40:08 PM »

Sometimes I write cartoon shipfics that start out being about cheating but that always bums me out so I have it turn out that everyone reaches a mutual agreement on consensual swinging/menage-a-troises and then their marriages are better for it.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 08:30:15 PM »

If you can turn that into a QOL game, meshgearfox, you might revolutionize nintendo

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 10:30:35 PM »

If you can turn that into a QOL game, meshgearfox, you might revolutionize nintendo

OKAY

RULES:

I HAVE SEX WITH YOUR WIFE WHILE WEARING A FITBIT
YOU DON'T HAVE SEX WITH MY WIFE BECAUSE I'M SINGLE
ALSO I'M NOT HAVING SEX WITH YOUR WIFE BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO.
BUT I'M STILL WEARING THE FITBIT.
ACTUALLY NO I'M NOT WEARING THE FITBIT EITHER.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 10:56:47 PM »

Wearing the fitbit allow to detect the hip movement and translate it into a score, it also detect proximity so we know who is going hip to hip.

Now about you. It's okay you don't have to wear it, when it's inside you it's not wear it, I understand that you are ashamed of not wearing it since it's inside, you should not be ashamed to put it inside, everybody has his fantasy, nobody is judging you.

Well nobody except nintendo terms of service.

Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 01:14:30 AM »

title gave me illegally high expectations of the posts i could make in this thread and now i demand justice
I'm willing to pretend this is about cheating if you are.

Wearing the fitbit allow to detect the hip movement and translate it into a score, it also detect proximity so we know who is going hip to hip.

Now about you. It's okay you don't have to wear it, when it's inside you it's not wear it, I understand that you are ashamed of not wearing it since it's inside, you should not be ashamed to put it inside, everybody has his fantasy, nobody is judging you.

Well nobody except nintendo terms of service.
What the fuck is a fitbit?

This a good link, but it's a little worrying that even the guy was struggling to achieve it.

Yeah I think so too but side projects are so fun  Shrug
I agree waiting is a great filter, if you have the same idea for a few years it feels easier dedicating your time too it. It sucks though that the idea I'm cheating on now is something I've been daydreaming about for years.

I had the same kind of issues when exams caused me to take some time away from a game. In my experience, it was just a hump to get over. A few days of pushing myself to work on the old game always put me back in the flow.
I guess the morale of the story is self discipline? Sounds reasonable, and I guess should of been the obvious answer.

Do you ever have thoughts that as soon as you have them you feel guilty?
Yeah; turns out a lot of people do this. I don't know what the technical term for it is but an old therapist friend of mine called them invasive thoughts - like when you're driving and you think "I could just turn into oncoming traffic right now and- what the fuck am I saying?" They're fairly normal and strangely not too bad of a sign, as long as they don't happen too often..

That's how I reconcile those with myself, I just identify them as invasive and ask them to kindly leave.
Huh, thats p interesting. And yeah I feel those suicidal instants sometimes, like when I'm at the edge of something tall and I'm like, "jumping would be so easy and satisfying", and then realise how dumb that is.

eh
Canned Turkey
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 12:20:06 PM »

This a good link, but it's a little worrying that even the guy was struggling to achieve it.

Everyone struggles with it.
I find it motivating though, because everyone is able to rise above it if they know what they're fighting against.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic