Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:49:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignPitch your game topic
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 107
Print
Author Topic: Pitch your game topic  (Read 373336 times)
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1520 on: February 14, 2013, 12:27:22 PM »

These ideas are super great Theo and Graham, but probably on a small scale. Ni No Kuni tried its hardest, and it sounds like the book is barely implemented, and only for certain versions. I'd love to see a game do this though, and with self publishing/handcrafting it could work very well on a limited run. As much as I hate games that are only available to some people, this might be worth it. Heck, you could even through a little AR in there.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1521 on: February 14, 2013, 12:41:35 PM »

Thanks! I'm thinking small-scale would be best for this sorta thing, and omigosh the potential with small-press works could be so cool. You could make a standalone comic with clues for a tiny Flash game that revealed more story bits and encourage a different reading of the story and omigod stop I need to start ftzing with this shit.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1522 on: February 14, 2013, 01:20:14 PM »

a game where you have to balance various birds on the edge of a chocolate fountain until they are covered. you cant let them fall in/off until they are covered in chocolate.

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: February 14, 2013, 01:56:52 PM »

A flight simulator which would "feel" just like this video:

The existing simulators are all too perfect whereas if you look at the video, you can see that the planes move in all directions all the time yet they are stable. The motion in the video just looks so much more natural (well, it is natural but that's not the point) than the flight sims where you go pretty much straight where you are pointing at.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: February 15, 2013, 01:00:11 PM »

die hard: the metroidvania

char68
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1525 on: February 15, 2013, 01:43:05 PM »

Has anyone pitched: Gun-totting dungeon-crawler rpg with an environment where everything can be used (or destroyed).

I'm thinking of Nox (or even Diablo for that matter) for the dungeon-crawling elements, and Spelunky for the ability to manipulate objects such as breaking down walls and making rope traps with various weighted objects.
Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: February 15, 2013, 02:48:41 PM »

Has anyone pitched: Gun-totting dungeon-crawler rpg with an environment where everything can be used (or destroyed).

I'm thinking of Nox (or even Diablo for that matter) for the dungeon-crawling elements, and Spelunky for the ability to manipulate objects such as breaking down walls and making rope traps with various weighted objects.

Malleable environments tend to come up a lot as speculation because they're an element that can be applied to almost any genre and destroying shit is fun, yeah? But using them to their full advantage is rarely done, and the duality of construction and destruction is not often explored. I'm designing and drawing the sprites for a game with a focus involving exactly that.
anselm_eickhoff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: February 17, 2013, 02:00:49 PM »

Inspiration just hit me:

You know like some tribes send off their elderly to a special place to die in peace?
In my game you are those old people, you can try to survive as long as possible or just explore the wonders of nature one last time. (procedural sandbox & permadeath) Not sure if the game actually rewards you directly for anything.
Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: February 18, 2013, 08:48:02 PM »

Maybe it would work better with spartan kids send out in the wild to test them?

As there is a goal to survive and make it back stronger.

anselm_eickhoff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: February 19, 2013, 06:48:33 AM »

That would work, of course, but I really want to experiment with a game that has purely explorational goals.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: February 19, 2013, 12:53:08 PM »

In connection with the stuff about physical objects being combined with games....

What if through play the player unlocked physical pieces for their real-world construction. So let's say that in the game the player overcomes challenges, obviously. He is given rewards. Some of these rewards include a physical counterpart, or the player is allowed to choose between a digital thing and an actual thing.

The player has this slowly building physical monstrosity. So for example, in this board game I played once with a piece of my family, there was this cool toy-like game piece that had functional value. It was a tower that you dropped different colored pieces into. Some of these pieces fell out of the tower and some stayed inside. It was fun to drop stuff inside it. Based on what fell out of the tower different things would happen in the game. The tower was basically a device for choosing results in a probability space, like a multi-dimensional specially sided die.

So let's say the player had similar devices to be used in the real world in conjunction with the digital game. The devices could: be used as a marker, keeping track of critical information in the middle of a grand battle or something like that; be used as a planning tool, to work through the basics of some kind of abstract strategy, that can be executed in the game but with additional details that could otherwise overwhelm the player; provide functional answers like a calculator (or the probability tower I described earlier). Functional answers could also be found through a series of die roles and moving pieces, and so on.

I like the idea of a planning tool. So if there were rules for the real-word object - like a board with pieces - then the player could play according to them to test out ideas, using the object like a specialized whiteboard with a built-in guide.

The value of a physical board and pieces is such:
  • The player becomes more familiar with the mechanics and ideas presented through it.
  • The player will feel more free in using his imagination with physical pieces.
  • The player is drawn back to the real world through it. He can play it on his floor, at a table, is more aware of his home and surroundings when using it.
  • The player will find it easier to engage others unfamiliar with the digital game in the real-world game. He can use the real-world game as an introduction tool to the digital one, which will have cooperative/competitive multiplayer.

Maybe the board game is purely a practice tool. There are all these pieces for it, and as the player earns more rewards in-game he is allowed to order more custom pieces. Or maybe anyone can buy custom pieces and those who earn the necessary rewards in the digital game get an at-cost discount.

So the player buys these pieces then can arrange them to create increasingly complex setups. All of the pieces are highly reusable, almost like K'nex or Lego but way cooler. Each setup corresponds to the training of a particular class of skills, like understanding an element of strategy, or a monster's powers, or how to maximize the value of a new or potential power. The real-world game can be played alone or with others. By following its rules a player can repeatedly try out strategies and learn how they fair.

The biggest advantage of the real-world setup is in the opportunity it provides to test out ideas that are too time expensive in the digital game. For example, let's say the player is an action hero in the digital game who roams a massive battlefield, choosing objectives on-the-go and participating in the challenge each one presents. The results of these challenges are up to the player's action/tactical skills. The results of the entire battle are up to the results of these challenges, and the strategy present in the objectives the player chooses.

For example: the player chooses to protect one area while an ally regroups, instead of flanking the enemy's weak point, say for 5 minutes, then provides support for that ally's return assault for 15 minutes, then runs a gauntlet to an outpost for supplies for 8 minutes, the delivers them to point A instead of B or C. In the digital game there are two kinds of challenges, the low level action/tactics and the high-level strategy, that are merged into a seamless experience. The real-world game focuses on just the strategic elements. The real-world game has value because the player can use it to test out many strategies in a short period of time while he cannot use the digital one to do the same thing.

Obviously you can take any game and apply this formula. Fighters have a high barrier to strategic diversity posed by the necessity to learn and execute complex combos. What if players could discover what strategies they like, what characters they like, and why the game's strategy itself is interesting without having to practice like crazy first. These things could happen in-game but could also happen outside of it. Outside of the game the player could be given a goal to strive towards, an appreciation for how to play character X at a high level, and a desire to master the skills necessary to get there. You could build a board game, a card game, flash cards, or whatever to do this.

If the player earns a reward in-game then he gets a practice tool in-game, or he can buy the out-of-game tool. These tools can be different from each other or not. Maybe the tools that can be purchased/earned give discounts for their real/digital world counterpart.

You can take it further and create custom pieces for the player, that can only be unlocked (not easily pirated). So let's say that in the digital game the player builds up a character and NPC partners and a set of equipment. Then he can go to his computer and print off special game pieces on paper for his real-world setup. These pieces, or just sheets, would have values on them that are not available to the player from the digital game alone. These values would be necessary components in the playing of the real-world game, assuming the player wants to test out strategies that are specific to his digital character and assets. In other words the printed sheets would contain what act like "keys" to make the real-world game work.

Implementing this idea is tricky because it requires the digital game to hide qualities of items the player owns (such as his char). The player can use these things in the digital game but can't know or intuit all of their important stats. Otherwise the printed sheets cannot be charged for or given as a reward. Inventive players could discover ways to determine the stats necessary to make the physical pieces from the digital game alone.

The obvious solution here is to create a function that produces real-world game-piece stats that is tricky enough for players to determine so that the convenience of letting an official site provide pieces (with stats) is enough of a deterrent for players not to cheat.

An even better alternative is to personalize all of the game pieces. So the player has X, Y, Z digital equipment and can therefore buy X, Y, Z in real-world form. X, Y, Z is created with a personal flair that is unique to the player that owns them, based on his/her char/accomplishments in the digital game.

An easy way to do this is have a function that takes the digital versions of a player's personal stuff and creates a set of nice 2D images from them, like a character portrait and so on. You could also have a function turn digital objects into simpler shapes that can then be turned in 3D physical form by routing their construction through a 3D printer or toy/object maker. This would allow players to order truly custom 3D real-world game pieces. They could unlock 2D personal printer versions through the digital game and/or buy the fancy 3D stuff online. The 3D stuff could also require the same unlocks.

Take a skill like intermediate math, put it in the digital game somewhere as just a component, get players to care about the game, have them print off and play with physical components that develop that skill, sell the nicer versions online, boom, kid learns that skill in/through the real world. You have a system for producing learning tools.

Create an interface for players to create/test tools that develop skills in-game. Apply the given system. You have created a market for building and selling the process for learning things (in the real-world).

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:17:55 AM by Graham. » Logged
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: February 20, 2013, 02:34:16 PM »

I notice that there are few games that combine magic with science fiction, and of those games, none of them combine magic with spaceship battles. Let's fix that. I wanna see space wizards in spaceships casting spells while shooting lasers.
SuperDisk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: February 20, 2013, 04:04:28 PM »

Inspiration just hit me:

You know like some tribes send off their elderly to a special place to die in peace?
In my game you are those old people, you can try to survive as long as possible or just explore the wonders of nature one last time. (procedural sandbox & permadeath) Not sure if the game actually rewards you directly for anything.

The game should actually erase itself from the disk when you die.
Fetus Commander
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: February 20, 2013, 05:00:44 PM »

I notice that there are few games that combine magic with science fiction, and of those games, none of them combine magic with spaceship battles. Let's fix that. I wanna see space wizards in spaceships casting spells while shooting lasers.

w00t

sounds like Spelljammer
Fetus Commander
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: February 20, 2013, 06:14:51 PM »

Here's one I've been kicking around for a while:

A TCG where your units and abilities are attached to standard playing cards.  You build your deck (attaching units/abilities to cards), and then you draw cards randomly from the deck and place them inside a 5x5 grid while trying to form poker hands that compliment the units.  For example, a unit's description might say “When part of a pair, this unit gets +1 attack” or something, so you'd want to place your cards in a way that ensures all of your units' conditions are met (or as many as possible).  The strategy comes from deck building (both in which units and abilities to use for your deck, and which playing cards to stick them on), and deciding how to place your cards in the grid.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:22:17 PM by Fetus Commander » Logged
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: February 20, 2013, 07:48:02 PM »

I love cel shading just as much as the next guy, but what I really wanna see is a game with this kinda art style.
Carefree games
« Reply #1536 on: February 20, 2013, 08:49:23 PM »

Well, Sir Raptor, if I find an artist who works in that style, I'll make that game. For sure. But wait... That's off topic.

I'll come back another day and redeem myself by actually contibuting to the tread. Wink
Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: February 20, 2013, 10:33:38 PM »

Similarly off-topic (apologies), it's interesting that when AAA game studios think of graphical fidelity, they immediately jump to this conclusion:

With the whole realism bent (which isn't necessarily a bad thing!), rather than the refinement of particular stylization methods, like advanced cel-shading, that compliment a game's nature best. I know this isn't a new observation, but the industry seems to be stuck in a grittiness rut, where 'mature' games need to be microscopically dirty and raw. There are exceptions:

But they (or at least their visuals) are poorly received for not conforming to that trending style of presentation.

EDIT: The last game I can remember that broke free from those expectations was Twilight Princess, which had a wonderful style and did all that it could to develop it for the Wii and Gamecube's abilities alike.

Just some thoughts. Sorry again for derailment.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: February 21, 2013, 09:09:11 AM »

Hello! My current work is very stylized. Proc-gen, no screens. Just supporting.

Anime is good influence.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: February 21, 2013, 09:10:06 AM »

A TCG where your units and abilities are attached to standard playing cards.  You build your ...

I love deck building.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 107
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic