Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:32:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignPitch your game topic
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 107
Print
Author Topic: Pitch your game topic  (Read 373358 times)
lolo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1540 on: February 22, 2013, 08:22:22 PM »

I notice that there are few games that combine magic with science fiction, and of those games, none of them combine magic with spaceship battles. Let's fix that. I wanna see space wizards in spaceships casting spells while shooting lasers.

That would be awesomely challenging to balance "Cast electric dragon in enemy's computer room."
Unless you base magic on physical requirements like in Tim Powers' Anubis Gate then you could mess with grounding to flush the mana out...

McDROID he had a farm ee-eye, ee-eye-oh.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1541 on: February 23, 2013, 10:52:49 AM »

In connection with the stuff about physical objects being combined with games....

These are some incredible ideas. What board game were you referring to, with the tower? That just seems like a brilliant concept.

Something I might actually try to prototype this weekend is a game combining TWINE and a chess board. The board is used as a tactical map, where certain pieces represent enemies and others are static land markers (trees, rocks, walls, etc.). The game then turns it into a pseudo-interactive dungeon crawler, where the player chooses to move a certain number of spaces and fight and stumble their way through the board, adding more pieces to the area as they are revealed. That way, by the end, the player has a physical map of the place they just explored. I wonder how difficult it would be to program that...
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: February 23, 2013, 11:09:21 AM »

Thanks. This is it: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/20551/shogun. Dropping stuff in the tower is so exciting. It's the best part of playing. I wish it was even more complex, like marble works with betting and electronics and race cars.

Your idea sounds cool. I like having a digital narrator but a physical world. Kind of the magic of DnD. Some guy drives the plot, but you still get to move pieces around a board and mark up a sheet while he's talking.

I actually like that idea a lot. Kind of intoxicating. I would think in terms of encounters. So like your character is put in a place he doesn't know, then wanders around a little, uncovers stuff, then hangs out there for a while, recovering his steps, fighting, whatever, to make use of the setup. Then when that "quest" is done he goes somewhere else and the board is cleared to repeat.

You could create two programs. You have the story in twine, and then you have a "combat simulator" or something. So twine says, "you do a thing, and there's a tree (put a tree), and there's a sound. Do you climb the tree?" The player says yes. "A cat scratches your face, go to the battle sim." So he does.

Diff. program. Player does some stuff, using his char stats and whatever. Gets a result. Gives the result to twine: "I live but bleed." Twine continues. ... For prototyping this is all you need. The battle sim would keep track of details, like health and such. Twine can say stuff like, "drink a free potion," which the player does through the sim.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: February 28, 2013, 07:27:23 PM »

Tristan Abshire: One of my friends and I just had a cool idea, it's a co-op shump type game, with kinda like Mario Kart Double Dash controls, where one player controls the actual ship, and main weapons and the other controls the power flow to the various parts of the ship, and specialized weapons.
Players can swap between pilot and engineer slots at any time
But here's the other thing, the ships can divide so that the pilot and engineer can control miniships, which have a limited energy pool, but allow for powerful combos to be performed.

Tristan Abshire: We've got three combos so far:
Laser gate of doom, where a laser is sent between the two ships to deal massive damage
Deadman's Volley, a shot is bounced between the ships which gains extra damage each time it does so but deals damages to the ships when it bounces
MAC Cannon, one ship gets turned into the cannon, and the other is turned into the bullet
Original idea, do not steal

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1544 on: March 04, 2013, 12:23:12 PM »

I don't have the time, money or, resources to make this, but for kicks and giggles I am posting the general idea:

Delivery Wars:

Elevator pitch:
Delivery Wars will be a team based combat driving game about two rival fast food delivery services attempting to put the other out of business. Play occurs in a sprawling metropolis complete with NPC pedestrians and traffic. Players have two objectives, deliver orders from restaurants to people's homes as fast as possible, and prevent the other team from delivering their orders with guns and ramming. Successful deliveries will result in money and increased market share. Money can purchase upgrades for the players, while market share will determine the frequency of delivery orders. The Goal is to acquire 4/5's of the market share.

Game Mechanics:
Situated through the play area are restaurant franchises of the two competing chains. A map will flash when a franchise has a delivery pending. When the player reaches the delivery pickup point they get a new icon on the map indicating where the delivery needs to be taken. A timer is also started to indicate how much time is elapsed on that delivery. A delivery may be canceled if it takes too long and extra money is earned if the delivery is extra prompt. If the player is killed on the way to the delivery, the package is dropped where they fell and any one else on the player's team can pick it up and finish the delivery.

The opposing team will also be making such deliveries at the same time. If a player encounters a member of the opposing team trying to make a delivery the player can attempt to kill them with guns or ramming. The player can not destroy the delivery order but can camp it, picking off any opposition attempting to finish the delivery (until the order is canceled).

Successful deliveries earn both the player and team money. Collateral damage to NPC pedestrians and vehicles will result in a trivial penalty to the player's money. Killing members of the opposing team will not result in extra money, but will indirectly increase market share which will provide more opportunity to make money.

AI delivery drivers may be provided to make up for a lack of players.

In game money is persistent only for the game play session. It can be used to buy better vehicles, upgrade the current vehicle, or buy intelligence on the other team.

Multiple vehicle types will be available to support different play styles. Such as zippy motorcycles, powerful interceptors muscle cars, and lumbering heavily armed defense mechs.

Upgrades can increase a vehicle's speed, armor, and weaponry.

Setting:
The theme of this game lends itself well to the Dystopian future setting like that of Blade Runner or Judge Dread. There will be a clear divide between the wealthy who live at high above street level and have everything delivered to them, and the poor who the player may accidentally run over on their way to serve the wealthy. Bill boards and huge video displays will show advertizements for the competing companies, as well as other futuristic products. There should be a certain tongue in cheek humor prevalent in the whole setting. The players are after all just delivery boys.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:47:26 PM by Wilson Saunders » Logged

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Fetus Commander
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: March 04, 2013, 05:00:58 PM »

So it's Shadowrun + GTA + pizza delivery?

Wow, please make this right fucking now
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: March 04, 2013, 05:33:42 PM »

I think you mean Snow Crash.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Fetus Commander
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: March 04, 2013, 05:40:52 PM »

lol, totally forgot about Snow Crash
Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: March 04, 2013, 09:48:16 PM »

Out of context, that combination sounds like a very darkly themed Lego Island, which would be wonderful by the way.
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: March 06, 2013, 09:09:42 AM »

Reposting this idea because nobody paid attention first time around.

Inspired by the trailers for ZombiU and Routine, the game takes place in a world frozen in time. You wake up in a large ditch, being filled up with trash. Being stuck in time, the falling debris is stuck in the air, and after climbing out by using the trash as a ladder, you try to figure out who you are, and just what the hey is going on. A man is about to hit the pavement after falling off a tall building. A beer bottle is hurtling toward a housewife's head. Maybe these things, and more, are all related. Maybe they're the key to making time run again. You'll find out.
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #1550 on: March 07, 2013, 02:37:31 PM »

so an online multiplayer universe
top down perspective
rts/ish build mechanics
every player can draw objects in the world
and edit eachothers objects
'nah you got the zelda perspective all wrong' *corrects sprite*
after drawing your sprite you need to collect colored pixels inorder to build them
it takes some time to build them
kill creatures and structures for pixels
ala minecraft with pixels
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: March 09, 2013, 02:22:36 PM »

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24530447/flash%20build/GameIdea.html

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1552 on: March 10, 2013, 05:21:49 PM »

As a roboticist, this idea has been bouncing around in my head for a while:

Robot Sports

Not robots that play sports, or humans who play sports against robots, but robots AS sports, and AS A PART OF sports. What do I mean by this? Imagine Quidditch, that fantasy game which is sort of like rugby and soccer, but with balls that have magical properties and are intelligent (and of course magic flying broomsticks). What makes a game like this possible? It's the fact that the equipment is intelligent and becomes a part of the game.

What's like this already? Video games. But video games are virtual. You aren't *really* there playing a game with intelligent agents, but rather you're just pretending. Augmented reality is a step up, but it isn't even close to satisfying. With Augmented Reality, the real world is just a backdrop to a virtual game. Boring. VR is a step in the other direction: completely removing the real world and substituting it with a virtual one.

What if instead, you had a game that was basically a sport, but the rules of the sport were programmed by a computer, and the agents and equipment of the sport were intelligent. Imagine Pac-Man, if you will, but in real life. You're running around a maze. There are a bunch of cheap diff drive mobile robots with sonars/kinects and ghost costumes chasing you around. There is a vision system either attached to you or put overhead above the maze to constantly watch you and track your progress. There is a projector in the ceiling which plops down virtual markers. It's very dark. When the ghosts hit you, you lose. When you collect all the things, you win.

Substitute any arcade game here with the same sort of idea, and you have robot sports. Embodied video games.

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: March 18, 2013, 10:56:44 AM »

So, I had a weird thought regarding talking swords. And talking armor, and any other game or movie or anything with equipment that talks.

An RPG with randomly generated pieces of equipment and weapons that can all talk. Their stats and secondary skills are all randomized, but their personalities are too. Equipping two particular pieces can give special combat boosts or penalties, depending on how well they like each other.

Example: play a paladin with poison-resistant attention-obsessed heavy armor and a magic-boosting tsundere fire sword.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: March 18, 2013, 12:17:18 PM »

So, I had a weird thought regarding talking swords. And talking armor, and any other game or movie or anything with equipment that talks.

An RPG with randomly generated pieces of equipment and weapons that can all talk. Their stats and secondary skills are all randomized, but their personalities are too. Equipping two particular pieces can give special combat boosts or penalties, depending on how well they like each other.

Example: play a paladin with poison-resistant attention-obsessed heavy armor and a magic-boosting tsundere fire sword.

Take the next logical step and make them swappable characters in a team rather than pieces of equipment.
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1555 on: March 18, 2013, 12:36:36 PM »

Take the next logical step and make them swappable characters in a team rather than pieces of equipment.

There are already games like that, Baulder's Gate and Mount&Blade come to mind. The sentient equipment idea has merit as it would allow for dialog and character development without the need for friendly NPC AI. Also it would lead to hilarious in game dialog.

*player takes hit*
Armor: Who do you think you are? You can't touch this boy!
Sword: Ugh... so little class
Armor: I don't see you keeping the main man safe
Dagger: At least you two get some action, last foe I skewered was yesterday's chicken dinner.
*player throws dagger*
Dagger: I take it back. I take it back. I take it back.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: March 18, 2013, 04:46:51 PM »

I could.
But that would make it boring.
jlauener
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1557 on: March 19, 2013, 12:34:40 AM »

A single player MMORPG.

Do thousands quests, grind for hours, only to realize you are alone Facepalm

Currently working on Whack-A-Dungeon (IndieDB / twitter)
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1558 on: March 20, 2013, 11:29:45 AM »

A single player MMORPG.

Do thousands quests, grind for hours, only to realize you are alone Facepalm

dotHack?

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: March 20, 2013, 11:43:14 PM »

Real life pacman
Please someone make this now
Did you really need to link a flash/unity player just for some text?

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 107
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic