Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:50:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignPitch your game topic
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 107
Print
Author Topic: Pitch your game topic  (Read 373378 times)
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1800 on: February 04, 2014, 09:12:35 PM »

I'm sure I had a version of (paperboy?) where the first level was a classroom with 9 desks, you were sat at the front; when the teacher faced the board you had to "bump" kids out of their chairs and take their desk until you got to the back of the room and could sneak out.

I might be tripping balls on this one though...

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Jodediah
Level 0

New here!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1801 on: February 08, 2014, 03:29:51 AM »

A small-scale MMORPG that circumvents levelling systems by allowing you to play as a spirit and possess NPCs of any level, adventurer or baker, to gain access to all their skills, give them a percentage of your spirit power, and take their lives for a test run.

sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1802 on: February 08, 2014, 09:07:13 AM »

Woah, that sounds crazy awesome. Would all players be spirits?
It sounds like there would basically be a simulated medieval world. Would there be some kind of overarching goal? What's the motivation for becoming certain people?

I'm imagining (sorry if this is getting sidetracked from your original idea) that the goal could be to become as powerful as possible. Everyone is trying to possess the king. Maybe you can only possess people if you touch them, and you start out as a peasant or something. So you have to find people who can get close to the king, and try to convince them that you're an NPC.
If you were the king, you'd have to be very careful about who you let near you. There would be some mechanics that would require you to have some human contact, so you couldn't just sit in a locked room all day. For instance, you might have to eat, and as the king you have no cooking skills.

Blah blah blah. I'm getting hyped about this already. Sounds like a paranoia simulator.

Jodediah
Level 0

New here!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1803 on: February 08, 2014, 03:27:37 PM »

It sounds like there would basically be a simulated medieval world. Would there be some kind of overarching goal? What's the motivation for becoming certain people?

I'm imagining (sorry if this is getting sidetracked from your original idea) that the goal could be to become as powerful as possible. Everyone is trying to possess the king. Maybe you can only possess people if you touch them, and you start out as a peasant or something. So you have to find people who can get close to the king, and try to convince them that you're an NPC.
If you were the king, you'd have to be very careful about who you let near you. There would be some mechanics that would require you to have some human contact, so you couldn't just sit in a locked room all day. For instance, you might have to eat, and as the king you have no cooking skills.

Blah blah blah. I'm getting hyped about this already. Sounds like a paranoia simulator.

Hahaha, awesome ideas, I'm glad you liked it. Smiley
My thinking was that if you were super skilled at the game but wanted to play with a noob friend, you could let them possess the white knight, and you could take something lesser for a challenge.
All players would be spirits, yep, and I haven't really thought of a goal yet, but maybe you have to jump into people's lives and change them for the better as punishment executed by the spirit world council for your bad deeds in a past life.

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: February 11, 2014, 09:40:23 AM »

A side-scrolling tower defence-ish game. A single leviathan approaches your castle/temple/city from the left or right side and you have to place harpoons, ballistae, trebuchets, mines, archers, cannons, nets, etc, in the monster's path.

Some weapons do damage, but many are designed to slow the monster down to buy you time to place your defences and evacuate citizens as the monster approaches. Once the monster is weakened enough that you can ensnare it, you (as the hero of the realm, or whatever) personally deliver the coup de grĂ¢ce with a finishing move.

Terrain would limit placement of defences, and the monster would have defences and/or attacks of its own (in addition to the destruction it does by just walking). If you fail to bring the monster to a halt it destroys your castle and kills you.

Despite the medieval terms used above, I picture it as a stylized mix of Classical Greek/Roman and scifi aesthetics.

Simple scroll-and-tap interface.
crumpet
Level 0

I did a art, once

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1805 on: February 18, 2014, 05:47:09 AM »

You know, that actually sounds like an amazing way to turn the age old party game Mafia into a video game, and improve on it.

As in, you'd have some players who are spirits, who take over anyone they touch. Their aim is to take over the King. Then you have some kinds of inquisitors who need to track down these spirits, and have the power to execute people who they suspect are possessed.

You could also have a game like this run in a non-turn based manner as well, making it less of a tense, thoughtful exercise and more of a chaotic game of cat and mouse.

Damn, I might have to consider making something like that...

But generally this whole idea of a spirit possessing things sounds like a great idea... But not for an MMORPG. Certainly RPG, certainly multiplayer, but I think you'd want to restrict it to small servers, so that the common player has a shot at actually controlling the King.
Also it would save you from all the extra work involved in an MMORPG, and it would make your end result a wonderful party game for LANs and the likes.

I used to think I was a failure. Then I discovered you can just buy trophies. Now I win at everything.
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1806 on: February 18, 2014, 05:49:31 AM »

I believe the powerhoof chaps are doing something along the lines of that with CRAWL (which I'm already a huge fan of)

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1807 on: February 18, 2014, 05:38:45 PM »

You know, that actually sounds like an amazing way to turn the age old party game Mafia into a video game, and improve on it.

As in, you'd have some players who are spirits, who take over anyone they touch. Their aim is to take over the King. Then you have some kinds of inquisitors who need to track down these spirits, and have the power to execute people who they suspect are possessed.

You could also have a game like this run in a non-turn based manner as well, making it less of a tense, thoughtful exercise and more of a chaotic game of cat and mouse.

Damn, I might have to consider making something like that...

But generally this whole idea of a spirit possessing things sounds like a great idea... But not for an MMORPG. Certainly RPG, certainly multiplayer, but I think you'd want to restrict it to small servers, so that the common player has a shot at actually controlling the King.
Also it would save you from all the extra work involved in an MMORPG, and it would make your end result a wonderful party game for LANs and the likes.

Oh, absolutely. I love party games like that - mafia, werewolves, the resistance - they're crazy fun. It probably wouldn't work as an MMO, though, I think you're right. Might be better with 25-ish people. Asymmetrical multiplayer games are awesome.
Sounds like the inquisitors/civilians/whatever would have to spend most of their time keeping the king alive, both by guarding him and bringing him food/water. The spirits would be focused on pretending to be civilians, and working up enough trust to get close to the king.

What if (just spitballing here) the inquisitors can kill people, but the spirits can only sort of switch bodies? So you can always prove if a player is an inquisitor if he kills someone, but obviously that's a pretty expensive test (assuming no respawns, which is probably how it would have to be). At the same time, spirits can switch bodies with other players, and then if the inquisitor who got switched complains, he might be suspected of being a spirit.
And of course, anyone can claim to get switched anytime...

Lots of potential for intrigue.

(also, CRAWL looks incredible. going to be keeping an eye on that one.)

Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #1808 on: February 19, 2014, 12:46:44 AM »

A small-scale MMORPG that circumvents levelling systems by allowing you to play as a spirit and possess NPCs of any level, adventurer or baker, to gain access to all their skills, give them a percentage of your spirit power, and take their lives for a test run.

This sounds AMAZING! I would happily do free 3D artwork for an idea like that.

Okei so, my pitch then:

A 2D Physics based platformer where you play as a tree spirit, absorbing sunlight or water changes the player attributes and makes them stronger/weaker/heavier or lighter. Absorbing water makes you heavier, so you're now unable to float in the wind or walk on thin logs across ravines, you also now walk really damn slow,but you're stronger so you'll be able to push boulder or trees to make platforms amongst other uses.

Stepping into sunlight causes you to lose the water, so now you'd become thin, you're not strong, you can't even push a pebble, but you can now float on the wind and even walk on lilly pads across large bodies of water. What happens if you get too much sunlight, or too much water? You die of course, you burn up or you pop like a water balloon.

Game features no GUI at all, instead your current health is visible in your player, you know how close you are to death by your physical state.

Of course the game has a plot and an end goal/reason for having to traverse the world too.

Am I cheating because this is the game I'm actually working on right now, devlog and all?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:57:13 AM by Dan_Tsukasa » Logged
Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: February 21, 2014, 02:04:28 PM »

Two player game, on person plays first-person parkour like Mirror's Edge.
The second player controls the tetris machine which the first player is inside. Player 2 has to try and crush player 1, or prevent player 1 from reaching the top within a certain time by matching rows (if they stack up the player could climb them and reach the top).
Player 1 has to reach the top
This could be awesome
This would be an easier game to make if it were two person 1 screen, and the parkour player handled like super meat boy (wall slide double jump). He could wall slide the falling piece to get higher, and the brick player would have to move the falling brick to prevent them from getting a path.

So, listen, is anyone making this version of the game? Because that sounds like the best game ever to me.
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: February 22, 2014, 05:03:35 PM »

Actually, you just gave me an idea:

A five-person multi-PC game where each person controls a separate part of the giant robot. Two arms, two legs, and I'll form the head. The head determines what each person can see, and the limbs do the giant monster combat. Kinda like Artemis meets Octodad in terms of gameplay, with the setting of Voltron.
I just wanna say I find it hilarious that this concept was made into an actual part of Octodad with co-op mode.
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1811 on: February 23, 2014, 04:16:59 AM »

Two player game, on person plays first-person parkour like Mirror's Edge.
The second player controls the tetris machine which the first player is inside. Player 2 has to try and crush player 1, or prevent player 1 from reaching the top within a certain time by matching rows (if they stack up the player could climb them and reach the top).
Player 1 has to reach the top
This could be awesome
This would be an easier game to make if it were two person 1 screen, and the parkour player handled like super meat boy (wall slide double jump). He could wall slide the falling piece to get higher, and the brick player would have to move the falling brick to prevent them from getting a path.

So, listen, is anyone making this version of the game? Because that sounds like the best game ever to me.

Definitely agree that first-person would be more effort than it's worth.
Would probably make this except I have no-one to test it with
might do it anyway lol

So long and thanks for all the pi
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1812 on: February 23, 2014, 10:08:59 AM »

Surgeon Simulator 2013 crossed with Monopoly. Like Tabletop Simulator except with bad controls and it has firearms for when you get frustrated.

idea: surgeon simulator co-op where two people operate at once

idea #2: surgeon simulator but you're an abstract artist

idea #3: uplink but with surgeon simulator controls

idea #4: surgeon simulator, except you have to use a computer to play Surgeon Simulator 2013.

idea #5: minecraft but with hd textures and guns

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: February 23, 2014, 07:58:38 PM »

Surgeon Simulator 2013 crossed with Monopoly. Like Tabletop Simulator except with bad controls and it has firearms for when you get frustrated.

idea: surgeon simulator co-op where two people operate at once

idea #2: surgeon simulator but you're an abstract artist

idea #3: uplink but with surgeon simulator controls

idea #4: surgeon simulator, except you have to use a computer to play Surgeon Simulator 2013.

idea #5: minecraft but with hd textures and guns
If I weren't so sure you were being sarcastic, these would be terrible ideas.

Also:
A game where you play as a barbarian who is also a barber, and also a bear.
You travel through caves and woods, battle evil wizards, and shave the beards of frost giants.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: February 24, 2014, 07:40:51 AM »

A game where you play as a barbarian who is also a barber, and also a bear.
You travel through caves and woods, battle evil wizards, and shave the beards of frost giants.

And you're named Ian.
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1815 on: February 24, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »

If I weren't so sure you were being sarcastic, these would be terrible ideas.

ehehehehe
seriously though just imagine playing surgeon simulator IN SURGEON SIMULATOR
or first-person monopoly with guns

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: February 24, 2014, 01:21:17 PM »

or first-person monopoly with guns

They're going to have to pry the Boardwalk from my cold, dead hands.
AirTime
Level 0

Not a glitch, just a misplaced curly brace.

View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: February 24, 2014, 02:57:22 PM »

A game where you explore caves, battling monsters along the way, to get a special mineral, called Insolfite. I'll call it "Caves"

\"Nothin\'s gonna change my world..\", well at least until the next syntax error appears.
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1818 on: February 24, 2014, 05:46:31 PM »

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1819 on: March 01, 2014, 09:35:42 AM »

a vlambeer clone with a twist: it clones ALL of vlambeer's games in one
possible names: Super Nuclear Ridiculous LUFTRAUSER Fishing KARATE Box Throne

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 107
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic