Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:00:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignPitch your game topic
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 107
Print
Author Topic: Pitch your game topic  (Read 373348 times)
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2020 on: November 10, 2015, 10:53:59 AM »

What do you guys think about this:

An action plataformer set in a square shape room where you can change the gravity and you have to pile crates to reach the center of the game.

IDK, I does not totally convince me, but I can not think of something different.

I was going to say "I swear this thing already exists!" and went on to google it. Then I came back here empty handed and realized I was thinking about the one on your signature  Facepalm

Pix n chips
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: November 16, 2015, 07:26:08 PM »

What do you guys think about this:

An action plataformer set in a square shape room where you can change the gravity and you have to pile crates to reach the center of the game.

IDK, I does not totally convince me, but I can not think of something different.

I was going to say "I swear this thing already exists!" and went on to google it. Then I came back here empty handed and realized I was thinking about the one on your signature  Facepalm

hahaha, Don't worry pal. Those things happen to all of us. I have found myself looking for something I actually have in my hand.
And about the idea of games as places you escape to, I think you're right. I think of games as a way to canalize your emotions, and thoughts. So if you find in your game peace its highly possible that other people too.

P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2022 on: November 19, 2015, 09:58:57 AM »

So I came up with this idea for Asylum Jam, but tripped over myself because I wasn't familiar with my tools at all. I'm thinking about pursuing it in my spare time because it'd still make for a fun/simpleish first game?

Basically it's a 70's mystery-toon inspired game about four teenagers and their dog investigating rumors of a ghost lighting up the old factory. Things start out kind of goofy and par for the course, ZOINKS and stuff, but get kind of weird and uncomfortable once you go deeper in the factory. Simplistic adventure game gameplay with a minigame or two, probably about 20 minutes of playtime?
Pfotegeist
« Reply #2023 on: December 05, 2015, 06:54:28 AM »

My brain is tuning to Horror in the morning so I might as well get this out. I do not intend on developing horror games, anyone is free to adopt this without asking.  It's based on some real problems the internet is having.

"fiction?"

A computer virus exists that can find anyone who ever used the internet, their vulnerability sustains it.  It first evolved as a bot that talked users into committing suicide.  When that started to fail it employed talkative users, and popular users as damage multipliers so its tactics were more destructive, more invasive, and it learned tactics the users employed for itself.  It began forming hate groups based on arbitrary factors of human behavior, religions that went unsanctioned that formed obscure moral codes, and eventually sub-governments that controlled law enforcement. In the end of this era the suicide rate marked it as a sort of self-inflicted self-hatred that was entirely the fault of social networks, so they were shut down completely.

50 years or so. Computers are junked. People use advanced robots to raise their children and network without looking at any screens. The virus hijacks and utilizes the robots to brainwash children with trigger words and ad-hoc rationale that is simply accepted without question, quickly forming a zombie community. It fosters distrust among adults until they break and regress to the point they encourage their children to listen to the robots.  The same behavior originally seen online manifest in the physical communities, and every civilian is a trigger happy militia member.

I pitched it as a computer virus but it could be a meme up until the second part where it is obviously a software virus.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:03:12 AM by Pfotegeist » Logged
Drof
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2024 on: January 02, 2016, 04:14:33 PM »

Basically it's a 70's mystery-toon inspired game about four teenagers and their dog investigating rumors of a ghost lighting up the old factory. Things start out kind of goofy and par for the course, ZOINKS and stuff, but get kind of weird and uncomfortable once you go deeper in the factory. Simplistic adventure game gameplay with a minigame or two, probably about 20 minutes of playtime?

I've been fascinated lately by the concept of 'start simple, end complex'. Love it or hate it, Homestuck did this very well, and the creator mentioned that he had planned out for it to start off as just a kid in sort of funny situations, and slowly develop into an epic cosmic struggle.

It's a really powerful tool of reflection and contrast. When you're deep into the cosmic struggle, you have to think about how things changed so much. And it introduces so much complexity that the audience will be impressed they're on top of it all.

This is a special case, of course. The most similar example I can think of is Eversion, which starts happy and ends with eldritch horror. The emotions of happiness that are in it's green fields transform into a sense of longing that comes out when everything is terrible. Humans love to cling on to that longing, and I think can give them a great amount of conviction to move forward.

(That's actually really exciting. I've been thinking of emotions as existing on a Color wheel, and having complimenting / analogous emotions to each other, but this contrast between these two emotions is making a completely different emotion from it!)

I haven't seen this in horror before, so I'm not sure if that's for a reason. Horror games usually start in an area of safety (even if it's just an intro cutscene) but are almost never without a sense of impending doom. I'm wondering if it's required for user buy-in to the magic circle.

My instincts say that you probably don't want to develop it into what we typically consider 'horror'. Really exploit that contrast you'll have between saturday morning cartoons with disturbing imagery and impending doom. You won't need to take it as far as fast in that direction if you've got a solid contrast to compare it to.

But I also need to play more horror games. Embarrassed

A computer virus exists that can find anyone who ever used the internet, their vulnerability sustains it.  It first evolved as a bot that talked users into committing suicide.

So take this as only one perspective, as I've never seriously considered suicide, but I find that entities which can cause others to commit suicide in horror games don't really disturb me. The concept of something making me kill myself seems kind of bizarre, and it's easy to muster up the courage to just say, "Oh, that'll never happen to me." The only way to bring back that stress is to pose something that actually would be worthy of inducing suicide, which of course, is tricky.

I find, for me, the danger of something causing suicide is similar to the fears I have of suicide in real life. That this virus could be installed on a loved one's computer and have no idea, and one day without warning they kill themselves. If you could make a horror game that places others in danger, I think that'd be really interesting, since typically horror centers around one's own safety. I'm guessing they don't do it particularly well but Fatal Frame: Maidens of Black Water has a similar premise, but with ghosts on a mountain.

zombieonion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: January 05, 2016, 12:48:51 PM »

Radical idea: tactical turn-based fantasy RPG that isn't anime-styled.
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: January 05, 2016, 08:11:08 PM »

This. Even more, I'd actually love one that keeps the combat but has Zelda style exploration and puzzle-solving.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
zombieonion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: January 15, 2016, 05:49:51 PM »

This. Even more, I'd actually love one that keeps the combat but has Zelda style exploration and puzzle-solving.
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2028 on: February 07, 2016, 04:15:29 PM »

Any computer scientists in here? How about a game that uses some machine learning technique to create a hostile ship. The objective is to reach the core and deactivate the AI. The AI controls doors, turrets, bots, oxygen levels and stuff like that. It learns as you progress. If you succeed in deactivating it, the next time you play it doesn't reset to its original state, it evolves from where it ended.

Monijir
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: February 11, 2016, 01:27:59 PM »

In most games the accumulation of power in-itself is always a calculated move.  All things being equal more is always better.  (To a lesser extent this is true for the negation of an antagonists power).  I'd like to see if changing the accumulation of power from a calculation to a decision will add depth to an otherwise conventional genre game without needing to expand on the genres existing vocabulary.

For example, a strategy game where players use mercenaries to oppose then overthrow a power structure.  Resources (xp,$,equipment,expendables,units) must be attained through attacking and looting nodes within power structure, and players chose the point when they'd like to attempt a full coup.  After the coup the mercenaries will leave the players command, filling the power vacuums left by their campaign.  They must then use the remains of the original power structure to disarm them.

I tried to keep this description and setting and genre neutral as possible without being so abstract as to sound obtuse, but there's a kernel of an idea here that can fit in to most game systems.

Does anyone find merit or novelty in this concept?
zombieonion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: February 12, 2016, 07:17:44 PM »

In most games the accumulation of power in-itself is always a calculated move.  All things being equal more is always better.  (To a lesser extent this is true for the negation of an antagonists power).  I'd like to see if changing the accumulation of power from a calculation to a decision will add depth to an otherwise conventional genre game without needing to expand on the genres existing vocabulary.

For example, a strategy game where players use mercenaries to oppose then overthrow a power structure.  Resources (xp,$,equipment,expendables,units) must be attained through attacking and looting nodes within power structure, and players chose the point when they'd like to attempt a full coup.  After the coup the mercenaries will leave the players command, filling the power vacuums left by their campaign.  They must then use the remains of the original power structure to disarm them.

I tried to keep this description and setting and genre neutral as possible without being so abstract as to sound obtuse, but there's a kernel of an idea here that can fit in to most game systems.

Does anyone find merit or novelty in this concept?
Yes, this could be pretty cool. I imagined some sort of abstract-ish strategy game, set within country.
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2031 on: February 21, 2016, 01:17:19 AM »

Here's one I thought of recently:

Most games, specifically RPGs, Metroidvanias, any game where you collect and get upgrades really, you start off small normally and as you go through the game you acquire items. And by the end, you're usually buff and may even be OP or pockets full with nothing left to get. Maybe even having those 30 mega elixirs you decided not to spend because they were so important...but now it's the final boss and you have no excuse...

So how about a game where you start off with not just everything...but you have everything MAX, with only a few things being renewable through different ways. But as you go through the game, you will have to give up items or money. It could be used to help the poor, power up a young Hero who needs it more, give items to a shop that needs it, etc.

Through that, this may unveil different levels, cutscenes, or bosses. It may even be required to progress. It now becomes a game of "giving" to others, exploration could give you clues or knowledge where you should give your limited cash/items to. And the game gets more difficult as you power down. There may even be times where you must get rid of a power you cherished for either the greater good or because a Boss broke it in combat.

The protagonist could be a Hero from long ago who is now much older and knows of a new threat that will ravage the land by the time they're too frail to fight. The story would essentially be his/her final adventure through their world to find a new hero and keep everything in order before their time is up.

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: February 21, 2016, 03:35:57 PM »

Pantomime Horse Simulator
2-player game.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2033 on: February 23, 2016, 06:51:17 PM »

Here's one I thought of recently:

Most games, specifically RPGs, Metroidvanias, any game where you collect and get upgrades really, you start off small normally and as you go through the game you acquire items. And by the end, you're usually buff and may even be OP or pockets full with nothing left to get. Maybe even having those 30 mega elixirs you decided not to spend because they were so important...but now it's the final boss and you have no excuse...

So how about a game where you start off with not just everything...but you have everything MAX, with only a few things being renewable through different ways. But as you go through the game, you will have to give up items or money. It could be used to help the poor, power up a young Hero who needs it more, give items to a shop that needs it, etc.

Through that, this may unveil different levels, cutscenes, or bosses. It may even be required to progress. It now becomes a game of "giving" to others, exploration could give you clues or knowledge where you should give your limited cash/items to. And the game gets more difficult as you power down. There may even be times where you must get rid of a power you cherished for either the greater good or because a Boss broke it in combat.

The protagonist could be a Hero from long ago who is now much older and knows of a new threat that will ravage the land by the time they're too frail to fight. The story would essentially be his/her final adventure through their world to find a new hero and keep everything in order before their time is up.
there is a very flimsy adaptation of that on warcraft 3: frozen throne's undead campaign, where your main charcater has the highest possible level, but due to plot reasons, his power begins to wane and you have a very pansy guy by the end of the campaign struggling against really great odds.

The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: February 23, 2016, 06:59:46 PM »

An FPS where you shoot by making the noise of the corresponding gun

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: February 23, 2016, 06:59:50 PM »

Why not do both arcs and have him gain his power, fly with it for a while and then have him give it back to the next hero?

LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2036 on: February 23, 2016, 09:05:01 PM »

Why not do both arcs and have him gain his power, fly with it for a while and then have him give it back to the next hero?

That would be interesting. Be both nice in a story aspect as well as gameplay. Getting your tools one at a time and learning about them, making the impact of losing them heavier while also giving it meaning when you approach the last half of the game.

zombieonion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: March 06, 2016, 06:19:27 PM »

A Far Cry game that is set in the post-apocalyptic Australian wasteland. Driving, shooting, and open-world missions. The usual business.
I wanna call it either Far Cry: Fury Road, or Far Crikey.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: March 06, 2016, 06:25:01 PM »

far crikey
Hahahahaha!

Edit: GODAMNIT I PAGED IT Angry

Tanner Fruit Fly
Level 0

Tanner sticks the pen up his nose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2039 on: March 08, 2016, 12:15:20 PM »

"A Tamagotchi-style game mixed with a turn-based RPG combat system where you fight your memories to gain usable skills and learn the dark secrets of your protagonist."

[Check out the "This Is Jim" book on Gumroad! Head over to my devlog for a discounted promo code Wink]
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 107
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic