Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 08:02:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralResearchers find that female PC gamers outnumber males
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Researchers find that female PC gamers outnumber males  (Read 2267 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« on: November 06, 2015, 11:16:38 PM »

http://www.pcgamer.com/researchers-find-that-female-pc-gamers-outnumber-males/

Every recent study done has shown this, though for whatever reason certain elements have been attempting to downplay the significance of it by suggesting that its only "mobile" or "casuals" or "consoles" or whatever context can be used in a pejorative fashion. Its nice to see that myth disproven.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 11:24:40 PM »

This is insightful. Thanks for sharing!

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 08:32:34 AM »

Quote from: jamesprimate
Its nice to see that myth disproven.

It's been disproven quite awhile now, this is an annual repeat with fresh data.

Much as I agree, this will be turned around and scoffed at because of selective data or lack of link to an abstract. It's based on superdata's payment preferences report paywalled behind $5000 USD, so I don't suppose we can ask nicely for that. Online social games (which can be accessed via mobile) are lumped in the PC gamer category, and numbers are not divulged for those, just mobile-only. Simply including that and qualifying terms (RPG is a catch-all which could overlap several genres) in one sentence would have made this stronger. Though 34% of MMO and FPS players is nothing to scoff at and more than GGers would care to admit. It's the strongest part of the report because it can't be misconstrued for lack of a better term.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 09:49:57 AM »

Impossible. There are no female gamers. Games emit dong radiation which turns you into a dude if it hits you. This is part of a Soviet plot to make Americans unable to reproduce.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 03:01:20 AM »

Impossible. There are no female gamers. Games emit dong radiation which turns you into a dude if it hits you. This is part of a Soviet plot to make Americans unable to reproduce.

the plot of the upcoming metal gear solid 6
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 03:07:16 AM »

Except this time with no hidden insight on society since kojima is out

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 03:14:09 AM »

I wonder which PC games females play, all the multiplayer games I play are evidently virtually male only

FPS and MMO genres, however, 66 percent of players are men.
Those are not at all similar genres to average out together

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 04:06:56 AM »

mute mic skew toward white male mostly (black peoples mute mic too because racial expletive)

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 05:04:22 AM »

also im guessing many women don't play online multiplayer games at all bc they don't want to put up with the hostile, toxic environments these games usually create (same reason i don't bother with them anymore btw).
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 05:17:37 AM »

also it goes without saying that the people who participate in internet gamer culture are not representative of who plays videogames.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 07:43:38 AM »

also it goes without saying that the people who participate in internet gamer culture are not representative of who plays videogames.

People who participate in internet gamer culture don't play games, or if they do, they play a narrow band of recent From Software/Bethesda offerings and don't consider anything else games.

And even then the don't actually PLAY bloodborne, they just set the resolution as high as possible, do a 20 minute soak test on it and make sure the FPS counter never dips below 60FPS. If it doesn't, it's a good game and there's no further need to touch it again, because we have LPs you can watch now.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 01:28:24 PM »

They also engage in victim blaming and ask if you are joking when you point at the amount of evidence, it's a literal hate group  Well, hello there!

MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 05:44:48 PM »

I sure wish everything wasn't terrible!

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 09:29:20 PM »

I never understood why this kind of data mattered, but that's just me. I game for the game, not for the players.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 02:14:13 AM »

I never understood why this kind of data mattered, but that's just me. I game for the game, not for the players.
It's interesting for social, academic and marketing reasons. (there is an audience you could target! this is a dev forum mainly)
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 01:25:46 PM »

BTW when people say casual crowd is woman lead ... the reality is that it's 50/50 with a slight edge to women, does that mean it's a woman oriented market? What about the 49% of men who play those game?

I think people equate equality to woman lead aka too many woman in my hobby. Trying to bring down an equal market by labeling "casual and woman" as if those where bad thing.

It's snobbery pure and simple
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 01:52:42 PM by Jimym GIMBERT » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 01:31:57 PM »

yeah the same way people claim the sims is a game "for women" even tho the gender split in the player base is relatively equal.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 04:36:42 PM »

I'll say that when you have this kind of data to back yourself up, the claim that women are gamers and therefore deserve respect from other gamers makes much more sense than if they were a minority.

That being said everyone deserves respect always, but you can't convince everyone of that.

MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 09:40:05 PM »

I don't think gamers deserve respect regardless of gender >:C

... Actually, seriously though I wonder what percentage of female gamers are gaters. What if female gamers are just as insufferably dudebro as male gamers and nobody realizes how many female gamers they are because you just assume they're dudebro male gamers when talking to them.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 09:42:20 PM »

Because you don't heard them hurling slurs over networks, instead they create inflate version of character and salacious ship fanfic on deviant art. Which is all about sharing and salivating.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic