Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:04:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralResearchers find that female PC gamers outnumber males
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Researchers find that female PC gamers outnumber males  (Read 2269 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 11:51:47 PM »

I never understood why this kind of data mattered, but that's just me. I game for the game, not for the players.

the reason its important is that for the longest time developers and publishers have been using "only guys play videogames" as their excuse to justify the culture of sexism in their games and work environment. as that myth has been handily disproven in the past few years, the narrative then became "well girls only play mobile or console and we make HARDCORE games for PC, and only guys buy THAT", which according to this study is also bullshit.

Not only does this call status quo defenders out on their shit, but also provides evidence of market incentive for developers and publishers to be putting out more games with a broad range of players in mind.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 05:19:39 AM »

basically, in a perfect world it wouldn't matter, but in this world it unfortunately does.
AndyC
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 09:10:34 AM »

I always find it strange when angry gamers have a hard time believing that girls game --and even stranger when really attractive women game and they don't believe they could actually enjoy games.

It's like--what about this awesome medium makes you think it is only enjoyable by ugly dudes?

I don't understand the denial. If the medium is really everything we fanatics try to profess that it is: this fantastic combination of programming, design, art, music, and sound that deserves to be called an art-form, then surely anyone could/would enjoy it?

There is also this weird idea that I've seen passed around the internet where angry-bros try to act like women just got interested in it all of sudden. As if these 30+ ladies who were playing since they were little kids weren't apart of this the whole damn time.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »

It's like--what about this awesome medium makes you think it is only enjoyable by ugly dudes?
what I gather from first hand accounts: said ugly dudes see nerdy hobbies as a refuge from society at large where they don't fit in, and a thing they own. attractive girls are part of a system keeping them down (because they made fun of them in high school) and are now invading their safe space purely for attention (the only thing that could motivate a girl, especially an attractive one) now that playing computer games is less stigmatised(?) and being a nerd is cool(?)

it's based on a really fucked up world view but that's basically the explanation for pushes we're seeing against having people other than white awkward dudes play games.
I could google for chan screens and reddit threads for examples but I don't really feel like drinking poison right now

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 10:01:56 AM »

AS LONG AS THEY DON'T TOUCH INDIE GAMES  Waaagh! Hand Shake Right

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2015, 12:50:03 PM »

http://mic.com/articles/127095/here-s-exactly-how-much-movies-about-women-make-at-the-box-office-versus-movies-about-men

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2015, 02:22:41 PM »

I don't understand the denial. If the medium is really everything we fanatics try to profess that it is: this fantastic combination of programming, design, art, music, and sound that deserves to be called an art-form, then surely anyone could/would enjoy it.

im not sure the "games are art" crowd is the same as the "games are for boys only no girlz allowed" crowd. i've talked to members of *a certain internet movement* and one fairly common position i've encountered is that 1. games should just be simple entertainment and 2. gaming as a hobby is a "refuge" for nerdy men that women are "invading". data like this is important in part because it helps expose this narrative for the bullshit it is.

oops ninja'd by schoq
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2015, 08:44:31 PM »

Damn, thats cool! I wish I could see those actual numbers though.

And yeah, the article is a bit frustrating, the numbers and how they're sliced together are just vague enough that it'll be easy  to dismiss by all of those who really need to read them. I can see the Sargon of Akkad videos from there. The preview image would be a female with colored hair in a dunce cap, shrugging, with the word "MORE SJW LIES DEBUNKED" in bold white letters

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2015, 06:59:55 AM »

glad I'm not the only one getting profiled by youtube as an mra because I watched some videos about games

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2015, 03:20:45 PM »

Here this is a video comment section support group for people with this problem:

You're not alone

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2015, 09:03:09 AM »

i watched a sargon video once for 5 minutes. i got a growing feeling that he doesn't actually have anything interesting to say and mainly just likes hearing himself talk. i closed the tab.
humbugP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 06:51:51 AM »

http://www.pcgamer.com/researchers-find-that-female-pc-gamers-outnumber-males/

Every recent study done has shown this, though for whatever reason certain elements have been attempting to downplay the significance of it by suggesting that its only "mobile" or "casuals" or "consoles" or whatever context can be used in a pejorative fashion. Its nice to see that myth disproven.

Wow that's cool! What games do females mainly play? I meet very few females in the games that I play, but I wish there where more.
Chris / Level Beat
Level 0

Heavy machine gun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2015, 12:25:28 PM »

Must be hanging out with the wrong crowd, I've only met few The Sims and (surprisingly) Heroes of Might & Magic series female fans. Beyond that, nothing but male sexist pigs!
Canned Turkey
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2015, 12:53:45 PM »

Glad to know I'm set to be a sexist pig otherwise I might never have found my purpose in life
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic