Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:18:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit Competitionokkuplektor
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: okkuplektor  (Read 50595 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2009, 02:49:26 PM »

I think he was just being fancy

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
increpare
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2009, 11:45:26 AM »

great great great.  though, many of the missions i felt were for me a [frantic, though not particularly satisfying] dash for the cube.  i would welcome something more strategic + ... longerlly.

but yeah; the density of visual and gameplay styles feel like they could really comfortably be expanded to something much larger.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 12:01:31 PM by stephen lavelle » Logged
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2009, 11:51:40 AM »

I really love this game (at least the version I played that was posted on IndieGames a few weeks back; I'm not sure if it's changed much since then).

I really love the low-poly graphics, and just the general style of the whole thing.

The gameplay was pretty good, but I found just going for the cube made some of the levels way too easy, so I just destroyed all other enemies before going for that to add some more depth/time to the game.  So maybe tweaking that aspect of the game would be good?  I dunno; your game not mine.  Smiley

But yes, great job, this game is phenomenal!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin
increpare
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2009, 03:05:33 PM »

oh, i forgot to say, i thought it was going to be a racing/dash-style game on the basis of the first couple of levels ;p (what with the speedups).  anyway, yeah, there's so much fun stuff here that could really nicely use lots of exploration.

visually reminds me a little of hi-octane as well...maybe that's just the graininess, though.

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2009, 08:19:55 AM »

Even though you seem to think otherwise, in my opinion Okkuplektor feels like quite a complete game already. Sure, the very different difficulty in each level and the ability to avoid all enemies in some levels would still have to be fixed, but other than that I enjoyed it a lot. The concept of having highly different levels which are played one after another works really well. First you have a big level to just fly around in, then get to the finish, then you have a normal fight, suddenly the next level is more of a race to the finish, then a very calm exploration level, then there's frantic action, etc. I think this could easily be very confusing or just feel out of place, but the different layouts of the levels, the changing background music, it just all fits together, as different as it tends to be Smiley

I think I actually enjoyed the level with those huge "mines" flying around the best, where you only have to find two keys without any shooting. The atmosphere in that level was really nice. There is no pressure on the player, as there aren't really any enemies, yet those big and fast mines are still frightening (and I guess they would be moreso if they exploded upon contact or so, killing you with one wrong move). Exploring this "alien" environment then is really enjoyable and somewhat reminded me of Metroid Prime.

Needless to say, this is one of my favorites of the compo. So, I would very much appreciate your going on developing this, or making something in a similar fashion, if that was your plan Smiley

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2009, 11:17:38 PM »

I can't believe I haven't commented on this yet (except for once complaining that it didn't work... I then ran it on my laptop, where it did work). I only got around to playing it for an extended period yesterday evening, though.

What stands out to my perhaps the most is that the movement feels so right. I can't put my finger on it, but the way you accelerate, combined with the very dynamic movement of the cockpit itself, gives movement in this game an extremely visceral, satisfying component. Very well done.

The other highlight in this game for me are the environments. You must have had a lot of fun designing those, eh? Wink These are fantastic, varied locations, some feeling high-tech, some very alien. I had quite a bit of fun exploring, and the atmosphere is great. Somehow this game is like a sci-fi version of Magic Carpet. That said, in that level MisterX mentioned, I did find the two keys, but then I couldn't figure out how to proceed further, so I got stuck there. But it's a minor annoyance, I guess I would have found it eventually, but there were so many more games to judge... Embarrassed

In my opinion it doesn't feel like a complete game yet. Something to tie it all together, like some narrative (which could well lean towards the abstract, as the levels do), some sense of purpose. Also something as mundane as a more fleshed-out main menu with a list of levels to choose etcetera would go some way towards making it feel more complete, I think.

But it doesn't matter, it's still one of my favorite entries, and you get my vote.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2009, 04:33:44 AM »

I played this on my lunch-break and absolutely loved it.  I might be in the minority here, but I would have loved to see it running at native-resolution, all crisp geometric lines and gourad shading ala Rez.

The strongest points for me were the incredibly slick handling and the music (the toungue-in-cheek, dance-lite stuff followed by the odd ambient piece reminded me of Edge on the iPhone.)

I always enjoy your stuff, Orel, and look forward to your future projects!

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2009, 03:20:12 AM »

@tech:
does the new MinGW version finally work on win2k? would be interesting to know.

Just tried it... yes it does!
cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2009, 09:42:21 PM »

Wowa, amazing game. The visuals are just stunning. It's exactly what I imagine good lofi 3d to be like and exactly what it never was.

I'm sure you answered this but it's too much to read. What rendering/physics engine did you use or did you write your own.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2009, 09:09:41 PM »

I love the atmosphere in the swamp level. It shows how effective this engine can be if you can get the player to slow down and appreciate the level design.

Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2009, 12:39:11 PM »

I like this game, thoguh I was dissapointed...I thought you were using voxels...

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic