Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1026285 Posts in 41135 Topics- by 32739 Members - Latest Member: Paleskins

July 24, 2014, 09:07:00 AM
TIGSource ForumsCommunityCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit Competitionokkuplektor [finished]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: okkuplektor [finished]  (Read 32390 times)
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 03:26:39 PM »

Very beautiful, works wonderfully here. Great variety of levels, though I could never get past the one with the rotating blades. Very high marks!

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 05:49:28 PM »

Super cool!   I love the look, some sweet designs, and the sounds/music are great as well,. how do you generate your samples?  Do you have a tool to design them or do you write those defenition .txt files by hand?  I will have to play some more and will give better feedback later,. . thanks for building this!   Smiley

http://iterationGAMES.com
"Some hipster groups have everything to do with motorcycles, whereas others have nothing to do with them."
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 02:34:47 PM »

Indiegames.com are giving some pretty major coverage to the Cockpit competition at the moment! okkuplektor was their pick for today.

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2009/04/freeware_game_pick_okkuplektor.html

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 02:40:07 PM »

got around to play it in Windows and with a mouse. very awesome! the atmosphere is amazing.

two things:
- sounds didn't seem to be working at places (firing & c. -- the ambients were alright)
- having to start all over again after dying is cruel.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

afroman5k@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 05:13:24 PM »

0rel! I admit, I haven't been follwoing the Cockpit Compo too closely - First Person 3D games, whilst still in alpha stages tend to mess with my mind/computer a little too much for my tastes. Was waiting for the final copies. But, I kinda had to try this out.

Don't know how you do it, but you always pull off something brilliant and rather unique. Your games certainly have a common "feel" between them. I guess it's the crisp pixels and delicious ambient sound, combined with a good ol' fashioned arcade feel.

Regardless, this is no different! A really slick, fun shooter. I especially liked the digression into the quiet stage without shooting or enemies. I, uh, couldn't figure out how to get to the exit, though. I will later! I must investigate rumours of a boss.

Well done, again! Keep it up!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 09:39:53 PM »

As far as atmosphere, visuals and level variety this game is ace. I couldn't get past the most exploration-focused level with the floating spike balls, though.

Most of the sounds didn't work for me. Firing and stuff like that. Usually I'd only hear the music.

Hope you fix this issue and I can play this game properly. Beer!Hand Metal Right

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

xionight@live.com Chimera+Gryphon
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009, 10:20:33 PM »

Charismatic Cockpits, competitor! A simple self sees such stupendous sights in this spectacular ssss...game.

for serious though this is incredible.

edit; also, I am stuck where Melly didn't get past.

Space_man
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2009, 11:05:25 PM »

Aha!  I finally figured out how to finish that level where you're all getting stuck.  In the room with the maze-like stuff on the floor, I recommend you try flying around down there a bit...

Funnily enough, I had found the file that lists the levels and changed it to put the boss level first so I could try it, since I figured that that level was impossible.  Then I continued and found the way out of the level, and made it to the boss again... and died  Durr...?

edit:  Gah, almost forgot to say that the game is awesome.  I really like the visual style, the movement is smooth and it's really fun.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 11:43:05 PM by Space_man » Logged
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2009, 06:38:16 AM »

hey guys, i'm really gald you enjoy it!

thanks for playing.

after doing that long game dev session i had just to sleep for while, though, and relax a bit. that's why i couldn't to reply yet... that game exhausted me quite a bit, not only because it was laborious (but interesting) to make, also because it started to feel rather strange at some point... all was really improvised, nothing was planned out before, besides of the standard mechanics, so it just came out this way... as "incoherent", and odd somehow, as it started, mainly because of the lack of clear initial idea. polishing such an incoherent something wasn't that appealing to do, but it was still worth it, i think now, because it could work as ground for new stuff, later on... finishing things is simply something good!, i realized. that's what i always learn here, this time again. - TIGScompos are just pushing me in the right way... i'm really liking this place here!

after the very unfocused doodlings at the beginning, i started - mainly thanks to Jph's hint at the right moment - to explore gameplay mechanics, and let the other things come in afterwards, which was really key to the whole making. that's where the interesting secrets lie in the first place, it seems. assets, mood and perhaps even story are important, sure, but it's simply not right place to start (in my experience). i don't know why exactly... but working on the gameplay, suddenly gave me kind of a flexible skeleton for many possible games, which can/could be fleshed out with assets then, but it's not a good idea to start with them, because things would be much too fixed that way. among other things (esp. technical stuff), that's the main insight i got while doing this game. - the gameplay, and all its defining elements (like mechanics, movements, enemies, items, other interactive parts of the levels...) should define the the assets, not the other way around...

in the actual game though, there are still lots of points i'm not content with. gameplay, style (incoherence, cold oddness) and also tech wise (physics/sound problems)... but, yea, i'm still happy with it. - it's really an experiment, maybe inspiring for others, also for me, for doing something better out of it. i never made a real 3d game before, so i'm really happy i got something done, which ended up even larger than i first intended.
but i'm aware of the many existing flaws in the actual "game design". that you have only 3 ships doesn't make sense in this kind of game, for example (will be fixed in the final), also there's something wrong with the structure of the majority of levels. you can often simply avoid all the battles there, and still get through to the exit, although they are laid out in a linear fashion.

also, talking about bugs:
yesterday, i encountered annoying problems again with the collision physics. tunneling through solid walls, mainly in the boss room, although i'm using "continuous collision detection". very annoying. 'Bullet Physics' simply didn't stand the test then...

@audio problems:
also to mentioned is that i used 'OpenAL' for the first time, before that i was using 'DirectSound'. doesn't seem to work as good as i expected... either i messed up the API calls somewhere, or the driver/hardware installation is corruped. ...hmm... don't know, really. i can just say, that the background music is stereo, thus 'OpenAL' automatically disables the 3d sound features for those samples... so, it seems to be something with 3d sounds then. hmm. i've uploaded a test build which prints out a log file.
errors with OpenAL should be marked as "ERROR: OpenAL: " <error_message>...
- it would be great if somebody with audio errors could point out where things break...

just start the game with "play.bat", play a level with audio bugs, quit. then, "log.txt" should hopefully tell us more about the problem...

okkuplektor_debug0.zip

i know, that there exist much more solid better solutions, for 3d audio, as well as for physics. 'FMOD' and 'PhysX' would be my favorite candidates here, but they are not really free, and that's not acceptable, i decieded a while ago. still an unresolved issue...
btw, all the content was created with free tools for this game. 100%. 'Blender', 'Gimp', 'VisualStudio Express', and 'MinGW'/'Code::Blocks', for compatibility checks. also, only free libraries used (for jpeg, ogg, png, xml files).

@jph:
for the audio i'm using my own tool, called 'es' (executable sound). i did it some years back, when i was wanting to make some fartsy audio compositions (back in my aborted (and hated) numedia studies, ARGH!..). it's kind of a modular synth, where you can patch up everything you like in a quite open way. it's a bit tricky, still limited compared to similar commercial apps, and very cpu hungry... but it does the job (and can even be used in realtime, like in my other compo games). (that's how it looks like for the explosion sound, for example). - it's even necessary to have something like this in some way, because i never found good free solution to produce audio under windows, comparable to 'Gimp' in the graphics area. still, when doing "normal" music with my tool, it depends on an external midi sequencer, which keeps a pending problem... (any hints would be helpful..). i was using 'seq24' this time, but that one's really awkward to work with. but i had to, because i won't buy any new software, and never want to depend on cracked tools again, never!, especially when it comes to putting something out again. so, probably i'll do my own small midi seq, and publish it for free, when i find the time to do it, and find no better solution. very simple, similar to 'seq24', but slicker and more efficient to make longer tracks...

yeah, that's pretty geeky tech stuff, i know. but i think at some point will be kind of done... choosing the right tools, code a stable engine, and that's it. probably. - just because: i actually enjoy it more to handle the art_part of it... that comes later, i guess. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 06:48:34 AM by 0rel » Logged
jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2009, 07:13:56 AM »

Wow, I would buy that 'explosion sound' patch screen-printed on a tshirt as it looks too cool!  I have also been searching for a decent free (preferably open source) midi sequencer that just does the basics,. as ZGE has midi suport for playback of its internal realtime sound enegin however I have not found anything I like to compose with,. so my games have been suffering form a lack of musics,. its a bit better now that we have arrays,. and we are talking about going to an internal sequencer type system,. . time will tell on that one,. but  am going to check out Seq24 thanks for that too! If you do decide to work on the midi app I would be happy to participate in testing, design, and any other input/help you may like,.
one thing I really dig about your game is the atmosphere, it is consistant and beutiful,. the whole thing works well together.  cheers mate! Beer!

http://iterationGAMES.com
"Some hipster groups have everything to do with motorcycles, whereas others have nothing to do with them."
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2009, 04:53:53 PM »

hey peoples! - if somebody wants to make a new level with the existing engine,
here, all the selected levels, included in the beta.

would be really exciting to see new ideas coming out of this... i didn't felt like doing new stuff right now for it (so, i never will (probably)), just because i'm kind of fed up with it. but if you want to play around with it, that would be certainly a cool thing. okkuplekto-kollektor. heh., kind of a small collection of various small levels, all created by TIGers. just an idea i had today, don't know if it makes any sense...

level export should be straight forward, with the (pasted/hacked together) script included in the blend files. (alt-p to run the script). just copy the the exported files into the data directory, modify the game.xml file, and then - when things went right - game_dev.exe should load up the new level. pressing F5 reinits the game, and reloads all. F1 let's you see the wires... that's pretty much it.

maybe something's coming out, maybe not. i don't really mind. - it would be just for fun.  Blink
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

Valaam0
View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2009, 09:37:42 PM »

Really nice game, 0rel!

I really like that you limited the resolution. It also, like Fifth's wagon game, reminds me of Magic Carpet in its aesthetics and also of another Bullfrog game, Hi-Octane. The music really fits the game too.

I really like the feel of the controls, smooth and responsive and overall a great experience.

One small pet peeve is maybe you can add a progress bar to the sound generation in the beginning. I ended up quitting it a few times because I couldn't wait and had something to do. It would have been nice to know when it was going to finish.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
muku
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2009, 06:15:53 AM »

I really want to try this, but I just get an empty console window and an "unknown software exception (0xc000001d) at 0x00462db8" when I run play.bat Sad This is Win2k with a Radeon 9500.

The Cosyne Synthesis Engine - realtime music synthesis for games
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2009, 06:55:39 AM »

hi
muku!

"unknown software exception"?
not good. - but good you're posted about it!
i'm almost sure it's something with OpenAL part, because all worked fine with the other game last time on your win2k, when i remember right. so, i've complied a version with disabled audio. - it would be very helpful if you could say if things run that way. - if so, OpenAL seems to be very unreliable then, and will be just dropped... - oh, and does the error message just pop up right after starting play.bat, or did the loading screen already show up? maybe is it also the OpenAL redist installer, then simply running game.exe could help, but i really don't want to urge you Smiley.

thanks toastie (Ivan, huh?) for the feedback!

concerning inspiring games, i also noticed that 'Rouge Squadron', for the n64, which i enjoyed quite a bit, probably had its influences. also 'Star Fox 64', i think. - man, i'm still stuck in these old days, when it comes to having ideas about games... probably i should play more games of today to keep a bit up to date :D. - still loving the all the retro futures!

by the way: i really like the aesthetics of your game too, and was following it with interest. but i wasn't able to get it running on my machine yet. one early build worked, but only quite slowly... the newest one crashes right after i allow allow the firewall request after pressing start in the map sub menu...

and yes, the problem with the long precalc time in my game is annoying me too, probably i won't do it again that way, because packing up the music up as compressed oggs shouldn't be much of problem for most people downloading it.. it's  just more accepted to wait a few seconds longer downloading while doing something else, than waiting in front of brown full screen blocking everything... a progressbar could help too, i was just a bit too lazy there Smiley. ahh. or maybe a minimized precalc window!? ha. never thought about that before... - when i have some time i'll change that maybe...

thanks for the hint though, critics and problems are really welcomed. just because, i really wanna learn how to improve things, when ever possible.

Jph,
hey, that's fun too hear! i can't serve you with such a t-shirt, but probably with the tool itself, when the time's right.
we seem to have some similar tastes or something, that's fine to know Smiley.
@midi seq: i will do something there, when i find the energy. i want to dig a bit deeper into the sound world, i've decided, so it makes sense to have the right tools. - the program must have a simple, and easy to handle piano roll interface, i don't understand trackers at all, but nested patterns to arrange would still be great to have... short event snippets, with some per pattern parameters... the interface will be based OpenGL, when possible. output via standard WinAPI, under windows, but there's probably a problem, because tight timing - wich is really important - is difficult to achieve, i fear. crucial will also be the midi import/export part. 'OpenSound Control' would be also option, but never worked with it yet, and i don't know how complicated it is in practice... probably, i'll stick with standard midi. - i'll say you when there's something ready to test out (probably not very soon, though).

Space_man,
haha! - you played my game in the right way!, it seems. there's always a way through!
i don't know what the main problem in that level with the keys was? finding the second one, or using it? hmm...

(by the way, now things should be easier, with the blender level files...)

Xion,
Melly,
Mikademus,
Fuzz,

thank you all for the kind words!

there's a speed run video, that shows in the last part how to "slove" that level with the spikeballs...

@audio problems:
did you already try to run the debug build?
(you can just copy the whole data folder over from the normal build, to avoid the long precalc time...)
would be interesting for me to know more about that damn audio problem, i really want to fix it, if i can. are the sounds just totally glitched up, much too quiet but present, or completely missing? that they fade out according to the disctance would be okay, it's just a bit unrealistically tuned (they fade out too fast)...  - or do you not even hear the sounds of your own weapons?

Gainsworthy,
first, i didn't expect to see your lovely orange walross again, in this dark okkuplektor world... Wink - all the more i was happy to see you here! thanks a lot for your always inspired words!

!CE-9,
yeh, starting all over again after dying was really too cruel. good you mentioned it, you'll get inifnite lives now. :D

Synnah,
thanks! again.
these .txt files look creepy cryptic, eh, i know, the sound tool is also a cryptic horse, but still human... hardcore stuff Durr...?.
btw, its abstractness is really what i think, after replaying it a couple of times, would be worth exploring a bit more. .probably, i will do more in that direction... also thanks for pointing out that indiegames.com was reporting about my game. too cool!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 08:11:28 AM by 0rel » Logged
trabitboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2009, 11:23:12 AM »

well I'm sooooooo impressed and satisfied by this game

just realized the world badly needed a trippy abstract rez descent like  Beer! Gentleman

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic