Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:13:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Feedback about my art
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Feedback about my art  (Read 8052 times)
alfoux
Level 0

Independant French Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 02:01:19 PM »

Flute, you're right with the thicker lines but I was afraid that drawing too much lines of this kind would create a unreadable picture. Maybe I should add something to the new background...

Good idea for the skin-tones. I'll try the green, it could give to the characters a dead-looking, like a fresh corpse.

Bakussa, Man, you never stop.

When I say "you draw like shit", it wasn't a citation of you but a sentence to sum up what you said. The short way because I don't want to waste too much time with that.

And yes for me it's insulting to answer like you did to someone. Again you talked like a jerk and your first messages were useless and mean, so a waste of time for YOU and for ME.

About the drawing of the vampire, I like it even if it's naive (and I know I need to add some details to improve it) around 20 people liked this drawing on my instagram and I had one or two people on Twitter who selected it with the heart function. So, maybe it's not good, I confess, but it doesn't seems as bad as you say. And, also, it's not a portfolio but my instagram. I'll create a portfolio later but for the moment I have no thing like that.

You know, sometimes it's good to admit that you said stupid things and you misbehave. Grow and admit that. Most of time your comments are useless so again stop or write something intelligent. We both waste our time with this discussion.

French Indie Developper working on Kafka - Episode 1 : Ravachol. A visual novel/point and click game based on Franz Kafka life. http://raoulgames.wordpress.com/
JWK5
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 03:40:09 PM »

You know, you are not obligated to reply to everything said to you, especially things that are unhelpful and counterproductive.

Also, a hard thing I've had to learn is that when you become defensive (or try to justify yourself) you are actually trying to shut out the possibility that what the other person is saying could be true (i.e. deep down you fear they may be right). When you encounter these defensive feelings, stop for a moment, take a deep breath, reread what is written and really think about whether or not the person actually deserves your response. Here, your constant stream of replies to him is just detracting from what you're actually trying to accomplish with this topic.

Put yourself in a position of self-control rather than handing over control of your emotions to the other person, in doing this you'll find you really don't have much to fear from other people's opinions. They are just opinions, nothing more. It takes practice, and I've failed at it many times before, but the more you put into practice the easier it will be to deal with difficult people, especially on the internet.

Moving on...

(Forgive the blurriness, TinyPic butchered it.)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 03:51:27 PM by JWK5 » Logged
Canned Turkey
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 04:04:27 PM »

To go with the bottom right picture, try and imagine outlines as an extension of what they're outlining.
Outlines should conform to depth and position, if something is on top of something else, the thing on top should have a more defined outline.
Also, don't shade your detail lines so much. Draw the silhouette outlines, and then shade, and THEN add detail lines in moderation.
By shading the detail lines, you give them unnecessary depth.

Like on the chins of these people, their shoulders, and the woman's hair.

The shading could be dropped in those places and it would look a lot better.

tl;dr: less is more in this style.
alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 09:16:38 PM »

Thank you JWK5, very good advice. I'm always trying to answer to everything and you're it's stupid.

Well, your picture is really interesting. For the picture with the parents, it matches with the light foreground to the black background, isn'it ? Or maybe I've to change the colors of the bedroom.

You're right Canned Turkey, the shading add to much details to the foreground, I'll fix that.

French Indie Developper working on Kafka - Episode 1 : Ravachol. A visual novel/point and click game based on Franz Kafka life. http://raoulgames.wordpress.com/
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2015, 10:05:52 PM »

To be frank looking at OP what I see is fine as in the line are expressive and tend to match the subject, the one that was singled out as 10 years old wasn't bad at all if the intention was to convey a certain style, maybe except for the badly place bat on top left.

Even the supposed inconsistency and "bad drawing" like the guys with the dull yellow clothes seems to add up toward depressive and indeed kafkaesque atmosphere, even the guys on the bench the oddness participate to a consistent TONE.

I'm way more bothered by the snot ninja that is a visual mess of busy composition and the UI mock up with a flat composition and cut out character.

alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2015, 10:49:40 PM »

Hy Jimym,

I agree with the bat. Not the good position.

I don't understand, what's the "UI" ? And a busy composition ? It's too much details ?

Thank you for your comment.

JWK5
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2015, 01:13:12 AM »

The UI is the "user interface", all those buttons, menus, display icons, text, and whatnot that keep the player informed and allows them to navigate their various options.

Composition is the arrangement of all the elements in a picture or scene, how they all come together.

s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2015, 03:37:24 AM »

Even the supposed inconsistency and "bad drawing" like the guys with the dull yellow clothes seems to add up toward depressive and indeed kafkaesque atmosphere, even the guys on the bench the oddness participate to a consistent TONE.
In my opinion with all art, including the high art from galleries, the question is not "is it good enough" but "can it be better". Sure it fits the depressive tone, it fits very well, but can it be better? I think it can.

alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2015, 05:04:56 AM »

Thank you JWK5. Very good advice about the composition.

Yes Spooky, it can be better. I'll try to change the color of the skin, just to see, and I don't know try to give some volume to the character.

alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2015, 06:20:46 AM »

So, I've rearranged my picture. The body of the characters is smaller, the text box too (for the choice) and I created a text box for the text (dialogs). The backbag and the notebook are situated at the bottom of the picture right now. I redraw the characters, the outline is thinner. We see much more the background right now.

What do you think ?

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2015, 08:01:11 AM »

Looks better to me  Hand Thumbs Up Left
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2015, 08:03:19 AM »

what is move your harm btw?
alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2015, 09:15:15 AM »

What do you mean ? I don't understand the question.

The text is the boxes are the three initials choices than you can do at the beginning of the game. Because you're a baby, in his crib, you can't talk but just do some physical actions like moving your harm.

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2015, 10:19:33 AM »

What do you mean ? I don't understand the question.

The text is the boxes are the three initials choices than you can do at the beginning of the game. Because you're a baby, in his crib, you can't talk but just do some physical actions like moving your harm.

It's ARM

alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2015, 03:15:12 AM »

Sorry, I'll change that.

FNKVSSL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2015, 08:36:11 AM »

You're far away from being a 2d artist... so don't say that you're a 2d artist...

I suppose he's a 3D artist, then? I know we've somehow allowed "art" to define both image creation as a vocation and works of exceptional quality, but pulling that on someone is supremely petty.

It's really daunting trying to come up with a reply to these critique request threads when the best advice you can ever give these people is to start from the beginning. Hard to tell if that advice is even necessary when this community values concept over execution. How important is art quality to you? Are you willing to spend the next 5-10 years working on it? Or maybe you're only concerned with telling a story? Spooky and JWK5 did a great job providing feedback that's pertinent to your style. That'll get you somewhere in the short term, but if you ever want your art to get feedback without having to ask for it, you're really going to have to reevaluate everything about your work.

I think we should take the conceptart.org route and just sticky this. Deferring to books feels like a cop out, but they'll take you as far as you want to go. Start with Fun With a Pencil. Hell, I'd go even further and pick up a copy of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. The general roadmap is that you start with still lifes and copying (not tracing) art that you like- once you learn how to accurately represent objects you can see, you focus on drawing forms in 3D space so you can construct images from imagination. Everything after that is just filling up sketchbooks until you Get Good.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 08:45:25 AM by Ossiferous » Logged

Muffinhat
Level 0

COVERED IN BEES HELP

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2015, 12:51:06 AM »

This isn't necessarily feedback about the work, but I will make one suggestion: start focusing on building a foundation in traditional drawing practices. I notice a recurring theme in the issues that people are pointing out, which is that you may be attempting to apply concepts to your work without a formal understanding of what it is that you're trying to do. Perhaps the reason your style comes off as amateur or inconsistent is because there are certain fundamentals that you haven't quite learned yet (perspective, palette choice, etc.). My advice is this: put some time into practicing perspective drawings, as well as real life observational drawings (that's observational, not tracing). It will not only inform the work you're doing now, but the more you make it a habit of practicing, the more confidence you will gain over time as an artist. Even if you're already doing that, keep doing it. There's no such thing as too much practice.

The point of this unnecessary art tangent is this: just keep drawing.
JWK5
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2015, 09:53:37 AM »

So, I've rearranged my picture. The body of the characters is smaller, the text box too (for the choice) and I created a text box for the text (dialogs). The backbag and the notebook are situated at the bottom of the picture right now. I redraw the characters, the outline is thinner. We see much more the background right now.

What do you think ?

Looks better, Alfoux, you're heading in the right direction. I don't have a whole lot of time at the moment but I made a quick and dirty edit.

I added a black border to the top and bottom to help separate the GUI layer (buttons, speaking characters, dialogue, etc.) from the background and I attached all the buttons and characters to it to create a better sense of cohesiveness. The dialogue is left unattached to help draw attention to what is being spoken. In a layout like this you would want to create your backgrounds in a way that keeps the most visually important details in the middle (where they won't be covered up by speaking characters). The font I used is not important, just one I quickly picked, but I made the buttons blue to help stand out better. Generally, you want to keep a fairly consistent color range in your backgrounds so that you can keep one or more colors aside for use in your GUI, if you want increased readability. Anyways, like I said I don't have a whole lot of time this morning but keep up the good work. Learning takes time but you're getting there.

P.S. Don't blur your backgrounds, that looks terrible (and ruins all the nice work you put into it). Make the characters standout enough (as I've shown above) and it will work without the need to blur.
alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2015, 08:13:14 AM »

Hi everybody,

Thank you a lot for your answers.

I started to work with Fun with a pencil thanks to you Ossiferous. And I use everyday quickposes to learn how to draw people in different positions.

Thanks JWK5 for you work on the interface. I recreate your interface with the new sprites. I'm still working on the aesthetics of the characters, especially the color of the skin.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2015, 01:52:22 PM »

Already much better

Composition is an easier skill to obtain than "steady drawing" and much more efficient at bringing quality.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic