Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:04:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Feedback about my art
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Feedback about my art  (Read 8050 times)
alfoux
Level 0

Independant French Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2015, 09:18:54 PM »

Thanks, we're working on a demo for PC and Mac. I hope we'll share it at the end of November. New pictures here :

I'm working on the others characters right now, to follow the aesthetics choose with the last pictures.

French Indie Developper working on Kafka - Episode 1 : Ravachol. A visual novel/point and click game based on Franz Kafka life. http://raoulgames.wordpress.com/
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2015, 01:14:35 AM »

I think the white in his shirt and her blouse collar is too bright and distracts from their faces.
alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2015, 11:46:44 PM »

I agree, it's a too vivid color. I'll change that.

Here another character.

French Indie Developper working on Kafka - Episode 1 : Ravachol. A visual novel/point and click game based on Franz Kafka life. http://raoulgames.wordpress.com/
alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2015, 10:16:54 AM »

Two new characters with the new design.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 10:07:39 AM by alfoux » Logged

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2015, 08:13:26 AM »

What software are you using for these?
alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2015, 10:15:04 AM »

Illustrator. But I do the sketch with painter because I like the sensation of the pencil with this software.

alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2015, 10:20:13 AM »

New character.

JWK5
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2015, 10:45:22 PM »

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 10:50:48 PM by JWK5 » Logged
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2015, 12:00:13 AM »

Art JWK5 to the rescue again!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2015, 12:02:24 AM »

The Art TEAM

alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2015, 06:07:56 AM »

Ouah, the Art team did again a great job.

Really, thank you. I'll work on the faces again. Another good advice from JWK5 ! :-)

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2015, 10:30:29 AM »

JWK5 do you freelance? you should, I mean not making art, but coaching

JWK5
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2015, 01:40:42 PM »

Not for pay, but if people need more direct help that they think I might be able to provide they are always more than welcome to drop me a message and we can set something up. Helping people with art helps me with art, a lot of the time it forces me to refresh myself on various techniques or concepts, so as far as I am concerned it is win/win.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2015, 05:02:47 PM »

Well supporting your actual physical life and around would be cool too, we artist we are bad at this right? Huh?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2015, 05:06:15 PM »

DO a patreon? I don't know how that work but it might be something to consider, show all the advice AND tools (pallet for example) you have done, et eventually your own research to show what you can do.

Or do a site where people can contract you for doctoring their art on their game scales.

SOMETHING!

It might help sustain your daily life and cover some the pain you have.

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2015, 07:09:15 PM »

Honestly, other than the fact that your art basics need a lot of work, you are falling into the trappings of what I would call "beginner vector art". The most noticeable way this is true is in your lines. The perfection of line width that vector art gives is useful for logos, but ultimately gives off a lifeless look to your art. To me, vector art is about the pursuit of perfection. That isn't to say that there isn't room for varying styles or opinions, but you are attempting a style that in my opinion, would be better suited to hand drawing. The sharp edges of vector lines look unnatural. On top of that, the oddly shaped bow tie and shoulders give the impression of a lack of understanding of node use in the program or a failed attempt at humanizing vector art. Additionally, the fact that the shapes are designed separately shows the beginner nature of your use of vector art. This is most noticeable in the lines connecting parts like the shoulders to the collar, the collar to the neckline, the neck to the head (especially noticeable on the lady at the top of this page). Combining shapes is almost day 1 of any beginner adobe illustrator class.

I know you were upset with bakkusa's tone earlier in the thread, but your art does need a lot of work. My honest recommendation would be starting with fundamentals before even trying to transfer those ideas to something like heavily lined vector art.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2015, 09:16:57 PM »

To be frank he seem to go for a bleak depressed and detached tone. Everything is gray, character aren't idealized, there is an idea of lifelessness, etc ... I'm not sure it's that important, although I prefer his "inked" version, but both work toward a consistent tone, which is the first thing I look for.

alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2015, 10:33:24 PM »

Thank you cynicalsandel for your message. I'll try to explain my goal and my game.

The art of the game doesn't want to look as a realistic drawing/painting because the game is about depression. The look of the characters  (the tone of the skin, the shape of the body) is a way for me to translate the strangeness of Kafka world. With a realistic style, I think I'll miss something. For example, in Adventure Time, the shapes of the body of the characters are mostly simple and long. It's normal because it's a magical world so you don't have to follow the rules of our world. It's the same approach here, the meaning of the world and the art have to match.

You have your opinion about vector style, I respect that, but my vision is just...different. After several trials, pixel art, hand drawing, I decided to choose a vector style because it worked, I think, much better with all the environment.

I'm upset with Bakkusa for what he said (mostly nothing interesting in comparison with the others) and his tone.

Your message is interesting but I think an art style goes with the vision/meaning of the game. Maybe you didn't have the last part, now you have.

alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2015, 08:32:37 AM »

I tried to redesign again with more details and by using much more the lines of the muscles :

What do you think ? Better ?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2015, 10:49:15 AM »

significantly

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic