Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:35:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioWhere to find mobile game projects
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Where to find mobile game projects  (Read 708 times)
AlgernonV
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2015, 09:58:48 PM »

A few months ago I started posting my portfolio on Reddit game dev classifieds, moddb, unreal and unity forums. I got a few responses and right now I'm working on two games for PC. The games are going to be launched mid 2016 so I have plenty of time for smaller projects.

I would love to work on smaller mobile games for experience. Where do I find projects for these types of games?
Pearl Pixel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 06:43:50 PM »

Reddit is a great start! Usually looking on the Paid Work forums here can get you a gig too. It's usually pretty hit or miss as to platform so it's pretty funny that you got 2 PC gigs through reddit as you could have gotten mobile gigs there as well!

Also, not sure where you live but always check with local game dev clubs if they're available. There you'll meet devs who may or may not need audio, but are always looking to expand their developer relationships!

This whacko of a person makes music. Perhaps it is of interest: https://soundcloud.com/pearl_pixel
AlgernonV
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 11:34:51 PM »

Yeah I was hoping to try mobile games when I started getting into game composing but I got offers for 2 PC games right away. I guess my portfolio doesn't have the kind of music that would be suited for mobile games.
Pearl Pixel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 07:59:33 AM »

Oh no, it's definitely not that! Honestly, gigs are everywhere, and it just so happened you got two PC gigs! I wouldn't hound myself over that, it's a good thing that you got gigs :D

Maybe just look for mobile specific devs that need composers and apply to those, it never hurts to introduce yourself to them, even when it seems they aren't looking.

For example, you know Hyper Light Drifter? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179340415
The sound designer found them through their Kickstarter and asked/probed them if they had a sound designer and told them that he was available. He was super persistent and got the gig! His name is Akash Thakkar and he currently does a lot of motivational speaking(He's talking at a Tedx soon) along with helping newbies get into the Game Audio audio scene http://akashthakkar.com/

This whacko of a person makes music. Perhaps it is of interest: https://soundcloud.com/pearl_pixel
Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 09:14:30 PM »

I guess my portfolio doesn't have the kind of music that would be suited for mobile games

I think you should pursue whatever you're interested in  Smiley 

There are all kinds of developers here on TigSource that are interested in all kinds of different music for their project.  Maybe your portfolio isn't something that is attracting developers this week, or month; but I can assure you, there is probably a project that you are ideal for.  This occupation can be whatever you want it to be man.

AlgernonV
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 09:36:23 PM »

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm going to start exploring new games for mobile and contact their gamedevs directly after I'm done with my PC gigs.
ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 09:23:35 PM »

I got into games really wanting to work on mobile titles.  I though it would be awesome to be like "check this out" and whip out my phone and play some games I've worked on.  So far I have worked on a handful of them, but the reality is that far fewer mobile games require or have the budget for good audio.

The main reason is that a lot of people play games muted or on vibrate. You're in the subway, or at school, or whatever and a lot of people want to play quietly and not draw attention. I spoke with a mobile developer at a meetup recently and he somewhat rudely but honestly said "you know what the most important sound is on a mobile game is? The mute button." Even though people are getting expensive headphones now, the audio is still less of a priority for a majority of the titles. There are plenty of mobile games with some amazing audio (Monument Valley, Badland etc.) but I think it gets more of a backseat than in other platforms.

A PC/Console game with poor audio is much more noticeable than a mobile game with poor audio. 

I'm with you though I am a huge fan of mobile games, and would love more work in that direction. but my experience is that there is less work there overall.

As for finding gigs in general, go to every game dev/game audio related meetup, convention, and game jam you can. Continue searching and posting online, and getting involved with conversations in the community.  Also I agree with what -Pearl Pixel- said , contacting mobile developers you think are talented is a good direction. If I see a really interested game or talented team on tigsource, kickstarter, or twitter/screenshotsaturday I'll contact them directly, and have had some success getting with good teams that way.

Oh also while you're working on different projects, look into what types of music/sfx mobile titles need often and build your portfolio with similar samples. That could help you be prepared when the time comes Smiley

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic