Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:06:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)New to making game art, Program Recommendations
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New to making game art, Program Recommendations  (Read 1090 times)
ElusiveDangus
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2015, 10:53:15 AM »

Recently i've decided to take up game design as a hobby, not looking to make some crap game and slap it on green light, just a hobbyist interested in game development

I'm working by myself obviously so im looking into all aspects of game development, Right now, asset development

So i was wondering if anybody had a recommendation on were to start in terms of pixel art, are their any good programs out there
for that sort of thing? what about non pixely 2D art, any software for that?

Another thing, if anyone has any experience making art assets, do you sketch it out in real life, you know, make some concept art and then create your sprites and what not from that concept art? I've been learning how to sketch lately too, wondering if this is a waste of time in terms of making art assets

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 11:05:11 AM »

any raster image editor is usable for creating 2d graphics.
in terms of art, if you arent targeting any audience, you can draw yourself. If you are making game for sale, better use free assets or find an artist.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 11:06:15 AM »

Objective:

HD
Get photoshop if you can afford it.
Get gimp if you can't afford photoshop.

Pixel art
Get graphics gale if you can afford it.
If you can't afford graphics gale, I would suggest aseprite.

Subjective:

HD
I don't sketch on real paper, I usually just make placeholders in whatever program I'm using.
I find sketching to be a hassle with the time it takes to scan stuff.

Pixel art
If you're using gamemaker studio, I love the inbuilt image editor. It's my favorite pixel art program.
It has almost everything you need, and it is built in, so no importing and exporting nonsense.
If you don't like anything I've suggested, really any program can work for pixel art.
The only thing you really need is opacity and onion skinning, so try and stay away from just using MS paint.
ElusiveDangus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 11:14:01 AM »

Objective:

HD

Pixel art

Subjective:

HD
I don't sketch on real paper, I usually just make placeholders in whatever program I'm using.
I find sketching to be a hassle with the time it takes to scan stuff.

Pixel art
If you're using gamemaker studio, I love the inbuilt image editor. It's my favorite pixel art program.
It has almost everything you need, and it is built in, so no importing and exporting nonsense.
If you don't like anything I've suggested, really any program can work for pixel art.
The only thing you really need is opacity and onion skinning, so try and stay away from just using MS paint.

Thanks that, that helps a ton. I was wondering about one thing though, when you say you make placeholders what exactly do you mean?
Canned Turkey
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 12:45:01 PM »

Basically all the art for this:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=50658.0
ferretter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 01:19:36 PM »

Pixel art

In my experience, the free version of graphics gale should have everything you need for pixel art assets.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 02:03:23 AM »

yeah, only gif export function is missing, otherwise its pretty complete
FNKVSSL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 09:18:50 AM »

HD

He means Krita. Get Krita if you can't afford Photoshop. Maybe get it even if you can, it's amazing.

Photoshop is the standard, Corel Painter is my favorite, Black Ink looks really nice. Pro Motion is technically the best software for pixel art, but Grafx2 is free and shares every important feature save for decent animation. It's my preference, hands down.

EDIT: Actually, I'd just get Photoshop. Excels at HD and pixel art, CS2 is free.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 11:57:27 PM »

CS2 is free.
Downloading now... thank you!!
BadIdeas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 04:49:45 AM »

I have been using and loving Inkscape for about 4 months now.
It's free.

While I use it mostly for Vector Art, the latest version has a Pixelize feature which I have yet to discover. Try it.
Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 05:07:55 AM »

CS2 is not free.
FNKVSSL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 07:07:52 AM »

Debatable?

Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 07:26:35 AM »

Nope, on the download page it's clearly stated that the serials are only for "customers who legitimately purchased CS2".

FNKVSSL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 09:38:02 AM »

Sounds like hot air to me. MetronSM's second post in the linked thread is the relevant one here: Adobe very clearly doesn't want you doing this, but it looks like they've backed themselves into a corner when they haven't updated the EULA to reflect that (and assumedly can't). You obtained the software and the serial directly from Adobe, it should be kosher. People have been very open about this and they've avoided discussing the issue.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:53:46 AM by Ossiferous » Logged

Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 09:51:31 AM »

Sounds like hot air to me. MetronSM's post in the linked thread is the relevant one here: Adobe very clearly doesn't want you doing this, but it looks like they've backed themselves into a corner when they haven't updated the EULA to reflect that (and assumedly can't).

There is no discussion .. just a few people who can't ( or don't want to ) read.
zombieonion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 06:26:17 PM »

Krita is a free image editing software that works with tablets and is designed with gameart in mind.
Try it out.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic