Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:17:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Good place to start [ UNITY ]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Good place to start [ UNITY ]  (Read 640 times)
ElusiveDangus
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2015, 05:37:27 PM »

So im looking into learning how to use unity, but i heard unity 5 isin't well documented

I know nothing about unity so if something was "poorly" documented i would have no clue

are there any good tutorial series about unity 5 or should i try and install a lower version of it.
should i study C# secretly or are there any inclusive tutorials

i know this is a bit of a strange question but i have no clue were to start
Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 05:57:57 PM »

Unity 4.x tutorials work with Unity 5, I have no idea how well documented Unity 5 is but it should be mostly backwards compatible with a few exceptions.
ferretter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 08:26:52 PM »

I haven't really felt the documentation was lacking for what I've seen of the latest version.

I found the official tutorials on Unity's site really good. If you go in the listed order of projects, the first three give a very smooth introductory learning curve. I only browsed sections of interest past that before diving into my own stuff, but they generally all seem like really solid tutorials to me.
Attila0413
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 07:19:54 AM »

So im looking into learning how to use unity, but i heard unity 5 isin't well documented

I know nothing about unity so if something was "poorly" documented i would have no clue

are there any good tutorial series about unity 5 or should i try and install a lower version of it.
should i study C# secretly or are there any inclusive tutorials

i know this is a bit of a strange question but i have no clue were to start

Unity is very well documented and you can find a huge amount of resources and tutorials online, including the Unity website itself. Also check the unity official forum.

There's no reason at all to use older versions of Unity, go with Unity 5.

Yeah, you'll need to study C#. Other options are Javascript and Boo, but not many people actually use them, at least professionally.
There is no visual scripting, unless you want to try PlayMaker or similar, but I never used them so I can't help.

You can find some free sample projects in the Asset store, that may be a good place to start.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic