Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:01:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhat makes or breaks a RPG/JRPG in terms of the "creative" aspects?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What makes or breaks a RPG/JRPG in terms of the "creative" aspects?  (Read 937 times)
EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: November 15, 2015, 05:53:53 PM »

Little by little I'm piecing together an idea for a RPG, mostly inspired by old JRPGs like Earthbound, Final Fantasy  (insert number under seven here), Chrono Trigger, etc. I'll emit my research has been relatively minimal, but I've at least scratched the surface of getting things started with a solid theme and doing what I can to avoid some basic pitfalls that end up hurting gameplay. 

Though I'm still novice as hell, and am trying to learn more about what makes RPGs good and bad. What have been the tropes and what have been the innovations.

So what do you feel makes or breaks a RPG/JRPG in terms of the "creative" aspects (and possible technical aspects as well)?

Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

EasterlyArt Facebook
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »

Please don't do random encounters, I really like the gist of many jrpgs, but the random encounters in let's pick Final Fantasy really is a deal breaker, I can handle the turnbased battles, if I can choose them myself =)

Terrytheplatypus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 06:15:20 PM »

Secrets make almost any game better, things that are very easily overlooked but lead to something possibly even more interesting than the main game.
K3fka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 09:57:16 AM »

Please don't do random encounters, I really like the gist of many jrpgs, but the random encounters in let's pick Final Fantasy really is a deal breaker, I can handle the turnbased battles, if I can choose them myself =)
Have you played Super Mario RPG or Paper Mario? These games have enemies that will try to engage you on the field, and if they touch you, you will enter a battle with them. You can also attack them on the field to get some free damage in on them when the battle starts (and they can do the same to you). Curious what you think of this type of system for encounters.
EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 01:34:37 PM »

UPDATE: Thread has been moved, see link below.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=51457.0

Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

EasterlyArt Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic