Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:47:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralRecommended Specs for a PC for low-end uses
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Recommended Specs for a PC for low-end uses  (Read 788 times)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2015, 12:24:49 AM »

My wife is looking at buying a new desktop PC as hers is very old and slow to use. She mostly browses the internet, but does use some windows programmes so needs a windows OS.

She doesn't play games (so no need for an extra graphics card), store a lot of media, or do anything really CPU intensive, but does tend to leave a lot of browser tabs and programs open.

I was thinking a custom PC box with something like a Haswell Core 5, 8 gig of memory and a smallish but fast SSD based machine might be the best option for general use. However someone else thinks a AMD APU with a hybrid hard drive would be more than enough.

What do people think? Is the 8gb more important for smooth general usage than a SSD for example?
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 09:07:43 AM »

why does every fucking web site these days take so much cpu power
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 09:28:26 AM »

because they're designed by myopic guys in silicon valley with fast computers and no awareness of the world outside

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 09:37:28 AM »

Lawl. But not lawl because I might end up working there eventually. Maybe.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 12:39:24 AM »

No one?
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 05:06:33 PM »

You said that she does basic computing so I think you don't need to spend more than 400-500 dollars on a machine. I believe any Dell/HP/Lenovo/Whatever PC in this price range will work wonderfully for her.

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Chris / Level Beat
Level 0

Heavy machine gun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 12:36:10 PM »

8gb of ram is a necessity! Ironically, internet browsers are sources of great tragedy and despair these days. Just today, my Firefox was using 1.7gb of ram... with 2 open tabs - because I've browsed for too long - it's so 2015 century to close and reopen a browser when it starts to accumulate trash in memory.

You can get away with 6gb, or 4gb if you're wife is extremely minimalistic in her browsing, but otherwise 8gb is necessity. Not a huge pain, since memory is again cheap these days and it's getting cheaper.

SSD is not necessary for browsing, unless she often turns on computer just to check one or two things - in which case it will speed things up noticably for her (Windows start up time).

i5 Haswell are great processors, but not necessary. i3-4170 (or at least 4150) are a steal compared to what they offer, but even better option seems to be the new Skylake i-6100 - maybe slightly overpriced, but new tech and extremely efficient. Don't look at the clock when judging it. Also, don't mind the cores! All have 2 (+hyperthreading) but it is enough for everything but the most extreme browsing coupled with lack of adblocker Wink

AMD is a bad choice though, they're slow, power-hungry, better as a heater during winter months than as a processor.

TL;DR: don't save on RAM, you can save on processor though.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 01:51:34 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions Smiley

I've bought this for her, which for the specifications I couldn't find anything that came close to this price.
http://www.ebuyer.com/719668-zoostorm-delta-usff-desktop-pc-7260-6023

I've set it up and it's very nice!
techoptix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 05:28:54 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions Smiley

I've bought this for her, which for the specifications I couldn't find anything that came close to this price.
http://www.ebuyer.com/719668-zoostorm-delta-usff-desktop-pc-7260-6023

I've set it up and it's very nice!

Congratulations! That is actually a good choice. Those specs are more than enough for a low-end user.  Beer!
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 08:33:26 AM »

Yes, and the price (and small size) were way better than anything else at the same price range Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic