Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:50:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)C++ + Unreal Engine 4
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: C++ + Unreal Engine 4  (Read 915 times)
nima0041
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2015, 10:33:21 AM »

Hello everyone! :D

I have for a long time wanted to begin making video games, so I have looked at some of the options out there. I have tried Unreal Engine 4 in the past, and it seems ideal for the kinds of games I want to make (Simple 3D games with a good story and atmosphere). However, I have some questions regarding this; I'm planning on learning C++ to use it with Unreal Engine 4. Is this recommended for a beginner / is it doable, or is there a better approach for beginners?

Secondly, I have always wondered how I am supposed to make a game by myself when I have no way of creating the graphics. Do people use free resources online for this? Or work with someone who makes the graphics for them?

Appreciate all answers!
Thanks for reading!
- Nima K Smiley

"The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world."
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 11:44:55 AM »

hmmm I'm not sure. Unreal4 has probably the cleanest modern C++ I've ever seen in a modern game engine but that also means they use a lot of advanced features and have a lot of systems you also have to learn that might be too much to take in at once.

If I were learning C++ I might take a step back and learn on something like SFML.

As for the art issue. Epic provides a lot of awesome free art assets. They are really good about that.

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 05:00:18 AM »

If you know any other oop language, go for it. UE4 C++ is very tightly defined and hides most of the traditional C++ pitfalls.

However, if this is your first programming language, just be prepared that you're in for the long haul.
bauer
Level 1

Codes games & makes music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 04:51:50 AM »

Depending on your current experience level I'd say the choice to learn C++ with UE4 is either reasonable or catastrophic. Smiley I've been coding C/C++ for a good ten years now and while the UE4 engine is pretty well documented with a fair amount of examples, I'd compare it to trying to learn to surf and swim at the same time. It's not necessarily that the C++ is too advanced, it's just a beast to get started with since it is such a huge engine.

In my experience, the best way to learn is by doing and by understanding what's being done. Diving head first into UE4 C++ might feel like you're wrestling this beast of an engine instead of learning what is actually going on. My advice is to start with something much simpler, either just a text/console mini-game or check out SDL/SFML and fiddle around with some 2D and C++.

However, if you are more inclined to actually make a game than to properly learn C++, then UE4 with Blueprints should be just what you need. You can keep learning C++ with both UE4 and small side-projects while you create your game, just don't expect to go in and create a game in UE4 C++ directly, would be my advice!

Beer!

witherwood
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 04:30:55 AM »

I've never used c++ with unreal before. But generally as long as you go through tuts carefully and try to understand what is going on c++ would be fine to start of with. If you master c++ other languages would be a easier to pick up.

c++ is great in some ways because it forces you to do things properly, as well as understand other concepts of computing that other languages will take care of automatically.

But as others have said...its not the smoothest language to start of with. Smiley happy coding.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic