Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:17:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesRecommendation: RPG with lots of upgrade paths?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Recommendation: RPG with lots of upgrade paths?  (Read 3159 times)
TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: November 23, 2015, 02:42:34 PM »

Hey Guys. I love playing RPG games that allow me to upgrade the charater any way I want. Are there any good indie RPGs out there that do that well. It doesn't even have to be a traditional RPG. Even something with base building is cool.

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 04:17:17 PM »

path of exile

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 04:45:59 PM »

souls series
TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 07:00:50 PM »

Path of the exile was cool.

Dark souls was awesome.

-Anyone know of any indie games like it?

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 11:55:10 PM »

http://www.remar.se/daniel/iji.php

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
eliasfrost
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 06:53:59 AM »

Underrail has pretty good character progression, very similar to games like Fallout and a bit of (but not as restricted as) Neverwinter night: http://underrail.com/

EDIT: The game just got a Dec 21 release date, whoo!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:26:56 AM by eliasfrost » Logged

Egberto
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 07:00:34 AM »

http://www.avernum.com/ maybe?
UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 07:10:25 AM »

Isn't it a bit broad question, since the rpg's definition itself comes with character customization?

Spiderweb games are probably the best known indie rpg's.

If you looking something a bit more original gameplay-wise, there is darkest dungeon.

If you're into Baldur's Gate era retro graphics, there is Serpent in the Staglands. I remember there was a classless system that lets you customize every character as you desire.

Other than that I remember there was this sweet looking rpg, Driftmoon, but don't know how it goes about upgrades / customization.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 08:10:50 AM »

Isn't it a bit broad question, since the rpg's definition itself comes with character customization?
It's a fair concern, because many RPGs don't actually allow for any decisionmaking during character advancement. For example many of the old RPGs would just give you a new skill automatically when you reached a certain level. I don't think that is very interesting personally. That's why I don't consider Chrono Trigger to be the "best game ever" even though I enjoyed the story a great deal. It's simply a rollercoaster with a predetermined start and end point.

And in the games where you can make decisions, sometimes one option is much better than another (who would spend any points on Dexterity in Planescape Torment?). So the question to answer in this thread is, what RPG is the best at offering meaningful decisions in character progression?

(It's Path of Exile)

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Dragonmaw
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 11:18:44 AM »

fallout 1/2
UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 01:34:34 PM »

It's a fair concern, because many RPGs don't actually allow for any decisionmaking during character advancement. For example many of the old RPGs would just give you a new skill automatically when you reached a certain level. I don't think that is very interesting personally. That's why I don't consider Chrono Trigger to be the "best game ever" even though I enjoyed the story a great deal. It's simply a rollercoaster with a predetermined start and end point.

I should have been more clear, I was mostly talking about western rpg's which I was more familiar with (when I was growing up we didn't have much access to jrpg's in my country). Almost all rpg's I can remember of from my childhood (goldbox style rpgs, ultima series, games like eye of the beholder which is mostly based on tabletop d&d 2nd edition which allows not only character customization but also party creation, then later games like fallout and arcanum) tried to give you many choices as possible in terms of character (stat/ability) building. Now that I learn (a little) more about jrpg's, I see the term can be interpreted very differently, it's nice and interesting.

And in the games where you can make decisions, sometimes one option is much better than another (who would spend any points on Dexterity in Planescape Torment?). So the question to answer in this thread is, what RPG is the best at offering meaningful decisions in character progression

Perhaps it is. I don't know. Meaningful decisions you are talking about is also very different for me I guess. An ability/cohice which is highly unbalanced but entertaining in terms of how it makes you feel -the amount of control you think you have as a result- (as in Armageddon spell in Ultima VII, which kills every living soul basically), is a much more meaningful and fun choice for me, compared to seemingly different but balanced powers that only pushes me through the same direction in story. In that kind of balanced game, sometimes I can feel like nothing changes except the effects on the screen -killing the same guys over and over again-, perhaps because I'm mostly playing for discovery and novelty value, not for tactical curiosity.

And then there are games like Dishonored. Is it an rpg? I don't know (and I don't care), but it sure gives you a lot of wiggle room how you choose to upgrade your character. Balanced? Don't think so. But I can guess a lot of people probably tried & liked the stealth walkthrough which is not meaningful when you look at it in terms of balance. Compared to killing everything easily in your way, it is cumbersome and right out unnecessary.

That's my answer to the original question which is about games that allow player to upgrade the charater any way they want. That is probably not the desired answer for a lot of people, though.

P.S.: Probably Fallout would get my vote for the best one I played which included a lot of wacky choices and was pretty balanced at the same time.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 02:02:36 PM by UmutD » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 02:06:03 PM »

Caves of Qud has a pretty extensive character customization system. It's a traditional roguelike with all that implies tho (including minimal graphics and complicated controls), so might not be your cup of tea.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 05:50:39 AM »

This thread inspired me to give PoE another shot btw
Chris / Level Beat
Level 0

Heavy machine gun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 08:53:49 AM »

In terms of character development, not many games beat Disgaea series. Just to give you an example, maximum level you can get in that game is 9999 (and in fact much more than that :D ). You can even level up weapons! Every character can be developed to do any kind of work, but those in the ballpark of their primary abilities will do that much faster.

However, you have to take into consideration that it is a grinding tactical RPG. Most people either love those types of games or hate them. You'll just have to check for yourself if this is the kind of thing you are looking for.
raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 12:01:50 PM »

Eschalon Book 1/2/3 are really great CRPGs with incredibly flexible builds/level-up trees: http://basiliskgames.com/eschalon-book-i/
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 10:45:53 PM »

not indie but system shock 2 has a very vast upgrade system. So vast that you can screw yourself pretty bad if you don't think about what you're upgrading.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 02:31:11 AM »

ya the stat system in ss2 unfortunately doesn't really work. ken levine even admitted this later. still a great game.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 05:37:35 AM »

Rime Berta?

It's not quite an RPG, more of an RPG system... They kind of accidentally the whole story.
But hell, what a system.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 05:51:23 AM by starsrift » Logged

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Momeka_
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 12:08:12 AM »

Eschalon Book 1/2/3 are really great CRPGs with incredibly flexible builds/level-up trees: http://basiliskgames.com/eschalon-book-i/

This. I loved those games.

Koobazaur
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »

Final Fantasy 5

Yes I am joking, and yes I am being serious.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic