Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:59:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingProject hotseat. Updated.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project hotseat. Updated.  (Read 4454 times)
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« on: September 12, 2007, 01:12:30 AM »

If anyone here likes splitscreen games, check out Project Hotseat.

Smiley
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 09:22:53 AM by jwaap » Logged

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 09:50:07 AM »

Well, the game has some potentials but some issues are definitvely holding it back...

First, the main menu is awkward and uses a weird control shceme. Escape is mostly known as the Quit button and the Enter key the start button. Here, the enter button does nothing and escape starts the game. Oh and always add quiting confirmation to your games Wink

The in-game control is also awkward since the CTRL key that makes the 2nd player jump is located next to the WASD controls of the first player.

The game screen needs to be seperated. Right now, it's too confusing.

Will we be able to fight without weapons? 

The controls are a bit too stiff and unprecise. You jump really fast and can't really control where you will land. The jumping controls needs to be tweaked so that the player can control it very well.

In theory a good jumping control has the following:
Fixed jumping speed
Jump lenght based on walking/running speed
Jumps have a maximum and minimum jumping height
Jump height based on how long did the player pressed the button: the longer the higher.
The avatar should move upward as long as the player holds the button down (or until it reaches maximum height). When descending, the avatar should take as much time to reach the ground as it took to reach the jumping peak (established by the release of the button or the maximum jumping height). So, for example, if you hold the button to jump  for 1 second, the character should rise for 1 second and then reahc the gorund one second after. If you tap the button, the character will reach the minimum height and then land back, all within a few milliseconds (but not too fast so that the player sees what's going on.
Holding the direction of the jump will give you a bonus in lenght

Some allow jumping direction changes but I prefer the breaking approach. Pressing the opposite direction of the jump breaks the speed by about 25% each 0,5 secs. I like it because it's halfway between being nasty with the player (can't change jumping so if you miscalculated you're screwed) and being nice (you can change the directon of jumping so if you miscalculated you're not screwed)

Check the image for more details...

Besides that, I think you have some interesting weapons planned. Also, i like how it's random but perhaps I'd add the choice to select the map you wanna play in...

Well, that's it for now, I gotta back to work.

Guert
Ps: The animation speed is not exactly what it's supposed to be since I had to do it real fast (that's why it isn't smooth at all Sad ) . Also, this jumping scheme could be made faster by making the small jump in 0,2 secs and reaching the top in about 0,8 seconds or so.   

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 11:00:49 AM »

Well, the game has some potentials but some issues are definitvely holding it back...

First, the main menu is awkward and uses a weird control shceme. Escape is mostly known as the Quit button and the Enter key the start button. Here, the enter button does nothing and escape starts the game. Oh and always add quiting confirmation to your games Wink

The in-game control is also awkward since the CTRL key that makes the 2nd player jump is located next to the WASD controls of the first player.

The game screen needs to be seperated. Right now, it's too confusing.

Will we be able to fight without weapons? 

The controls are a bit too stiff and unprecise. You jump really fast and can't really control where you will land. The jumping controls needs to be tweaked so that the player can control it very well.

In theory a good jumping control has the following:
Fixed jumping speed
Jump lenght based on walking/running speed
Jumps have a maximum and minimum jumping height
Jump height based on how long did the player pressed the button: the longer the higher.
The avatar should move upward as long as the player holds the button down (or until it reaches maximum height). When descending, the avatar should take as much time to reach the ground as it took to reach the jumping peak (established by the release of the button or the maximum jumping height). So, for example, if you hold the button to jump  for 1 second, the character should rise for 1 second and then reahc the gorund one second after. If you tap the button, the character will reach the minimum height and then land back, all within a few milliseconds (but not too fast so that the player sees what's going on.
Holding the direction of the jump will give you a bonus in lenght

Some allow jumping direction changes but I prefer the breaking approach. Pressing the opposite direction of the jump breaks the speed by about 25% each 0,5 secs. I like it because it's halfway between being nasty with the player (can't change jumping so if you miscalculated you're screwed) and being nice (you can change the directon of jumping so if you miscalculated you're not screwed)

Check the image for more details...

Besides that, I think you have some interesting weapons planned. Also, i like how it's random but perhaps I'd add the choice to select the map you wanna play in...

Well, that's it for now, I gotta back to work.

Guert
Ps: The animation speed is not exactly what it's supposed to be since I had to do it real fast (that's why it isn't smooth at all Sad ) . Also, this jumping scheme could be made faster by making the small jump in 0,2 secs and reaching the top in about 0,8 seconds or so.   

First of all thanks for the real long critisism. Smiley

This game has been made for myself to play, and that's why it doesn't have a real menu or usefull options or whatever. I never thought I'd release it. Future versions will have nicer stuff, including level selection and perhaps weapon sets (choose with which ones to play)

Control is also on the right, right? Controls will be customizable in the future.

Perhaps fighting without weapons: I thought jumping on heads will disarm and damage the enemy.

The controls are quite direct, but I think the weapons fix that. Since nothing is physics based I probably wont implent all that jumping stuff. Keeping pressed does make you jump higher though. The most important "fix" for this is that I will make an options to make the game speed slower. Since this is made on my crappy and slow pc, it has a nice speed here. On faster pc's it's quite unplayable.
Thanks again for the big comment, and the jumping lesson. Smiley

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 11:48:49 AM »

Hey there!
Yes. control is also on the right but it doesn't work on my keyboard when playing.

Ah yes, you have to make sure the game runs at the same speed everywhere Wink

Well,  show us a new version when you can!
Later!

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 07:00:13 AM »

UPDATE:

Fixes: more things changable by player (game speed, weapon testnig), more rooms, improved HUD, fighting without weapons(jump on heads)and most of all, more weapons! There are now 50 weapons. New ones include gravity mines, laser curlers, super decoys, and cloaking devices.

http://64digits.com/users/Nobody/PROJECTHOTSEAT_02.zip

Enjoy!

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 09:22:17 AM »

New demo, and now: A website!

http://hotseat.thepoppenkast.com

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic