Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:41:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMy First Adventure - JRPG (UPDATED: 12/1/2015)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My First Adventure - JRPG (UPDATED: 12/1/2015)  (Read 1347 times)
Joshua Rigley
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2015, 04:36:49 PM »

Hey everyone! I'm new here, and I'm really excited to share this adventure (pun intended) with you. First, a little about myself.

My name is Joshua. When I was 10 years old (in the year 2000), I really wanted to know how the PC games I loved to play (Put-Put and Freddi The Fish) were made. Along the way I discovered web page design, and ended up teaching myself HTML, CSS, and Javascript. Fast forward five years, and for Christmas my mom gave me a book called "Game Programming for Teens, 2nd Edition" by Maneesh Sethi. It taught the basics of making games using the BlitzPlus programming language.

Ever since then, I've been dabbling in both game dev and programming, but have never made a complete game. With this thread, I intend to change that.

My First Adventure is going to be the very first complete game I will make (hence the name). I'll be using RPG Maker, since it's super easy to use, provides lots of premade resources, and is designed to make JRPGS.

With that said, here's the rundown of the game itself (details subject to change):

My First Adventure

You take on the role of Eric, a poor farmer guy who wants more than anything to go on an adventure. He enlists in the army with hopes of joining the ranks of the Red Guard, an elite unit of soldiers charged with special missions to keep the kingdom safe from monsters.

However, as Eric will soon learn, you should be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it...

Screenshots

Goals

My only goal right now is to make daily progress on this game, and figure out all the details along the way. Tongue

Thanks for reading!

Updates

11/25/2015
11/26/2015
11/28/2015
11/29/2015
11/30/2015
12/1/2015
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:39:59 PM by Joshua Rigley » Logged
Conker
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 05:04:02 PM »

good luck on your project

i recommend making your own GFX, youll get more out of the project in the end.
qwetro
Level 0

Werner Zhang

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 09:46:11 PM »

It seems quite old fashion for the art style, looks comfortable. I think the key of this game would be the story. Good luck, see what you can do. Smiley

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 07:04:46 AM »

Best of luck with this! But I agree about changing the art. There are so many RPG Maker projects that use the stock assets that it will be nigh impossible to stand out if you ever want to make any plans to do something with this going forward. But either way do your best! :D

Joshua Rigley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 06:41:15 PM »

Update 11/25/2015

Today I created a small town map where the player will begin his adventure and where there will be multiple side quests. Here's a breakdown of the design process:

1) At first, I struggled with the map, trying to figure out what to make. Then I realized that I wasn't sure what purpose the map was going to serve, so I opened up Notepad and said, "What purpose do I want this town to serve?", and started writing. I asked a few other questions, such as "what buildings will I need for this town?", "what is this town's backstory?", and "how will this town be mapped out?". I found that asking a few creative questions really helped me figure out where I wanted to go with this.

2) For the map, I decided to divide it into four areas. I started with a normal 17X13 tile map:

Once I got this area filled in, I doubled the width to make this:

Finally, I doubled the length (that's what she said):

I was going to add more buildings, but I got lazy and filled it with trees and stuff instead:

3) I have found that this process of dividing a large map into smaller sections and working on those sections has made the map making process much more approachable. Smiley

Comments

Quote from: Conker
It seems quite old fashion for the art style, looks comfortable. I think the key of this game would be the story. Good luck, see what you can do. Smiley

Yes, RPG Maker's art style is meant to resemble the SNES era of JRPGs, which I really like. I will be focusing on the story more than anything else for this game. And thanks, I will see what I can do with this, at this point I'm just hoping to make a complete game. Smiley

Quote from: qwetro
good luck on your project

i recommend making your own GFX, youll get more out of the project in the end.

Quote from: Ashedragon
Best of luck with this! But I agree about changing the art. There are so many RPG Maker projects that use the stock assets that it will be nigh impossible to stand out if you ever want to make any plans to do something with this going forward. But either way do your best! :D

Thank you both for your comments. Although I would love to make custom art from scratch, I'm doing this game mainly as a learning exercise, so making my game look unique isn't so important to me. My main priority is to just make a complete game. I may try to update the graphics to something unique later on, but more likely I will hold out on that for the next game I work on.

I don't want to make this project overwhelming for me, which is one of the reasons why I chose RPG Maker; it abstracted away much of the work that is usually involved in making a game. Smiley

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to leave a comment, that really means a lot to me (and wow, over 200 views already? You guys are awesome). :D
Joshua Rigley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 07:18:17 PM »

Update 11/26/2015

Today I got started doing the interior maps for the town map. Already got some great quest ideas. Also, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Joshua Rigley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 09:02:54 AM »

Update 11/28/2015
Yesterday I got a bit more work done on the interior maps, and today I will do more of the same. Smiley
verticalvertex
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 12:24:23 PM »

Like the maps. Looks very traditional in design.

It's all good.
Joshua Rigley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 10:19:32 AM »

Like the maps. Looks very traditional in design.
Thank you. It is meant to be a traditional style JRPG. Smiley

Update 11/29/2015
Created a couple more interior maps yesterday. Feels like I'm making just inches of progress per day, lol. But it's better than nothing. More mapping for today.
andreadst
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 12:16:29 PM »

IMO the best part of an rpg is the story so do your best to have a cool one. It can be traditional but it's interesting if it plays with strong emotions like the best jrpgs out there.
Joshua Rigley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 11:18:35 AM »

IMO the best part of an rpg is the story so do your best to have a cool one. It can be traditional but it's interesting if it plays with strong emotions like the best jrpgs out there.
I completely agree with you. I'm going to be focusing on the story more than anything, and already have some great ideas for side quests that will really tug on your heart strings. Wink

Thanks for commenting.

Update 11/30/2015

Got some more mapping done. I'm going to try to finish the interior maps today so I can start adding events.
Joshua Rigley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 12:39:20 PM »

Update 12/1/2015

Finally got the interior maps done. Going to start adding events next.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic