Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:00:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallAsylum - Final Year University Project - *UPDATED*
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Asylum - Final Year University Project - *UPDATED*  (Read 417 times)
TerminatorJack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 26, 2015, 06:43:07 PM »

Hi you might remember me from a couple of months ago, when I was here asking for actors for my project "Outside Over There"  (link to trailer :

) well I'm back with a new project and and it would be great to grab some feedback and constructive criticism from you guys :D

Synopsis

“Asylum” will be a first person adventure game, with strong emphasis on stealth, exploration and platforming. The world of “Asylum” is a future ravaged Earth, in which the planet has exhausted all of its resources, resulting in worldwide conflicts, famines and natural disasters etc
However, prior to the downfall of society a secret contingency plan was put in effect to resettle a small percentage of world’s population to state of the art facilities, known as ARCS. These facilities contained VR technology that would allow the users to enter into a virtual world (whilst their real bodies would remain in suspended animation) letting them live out a new life in complete safety. The rest of world wasn’t so lucky.

Prototype Gameplay

Since the start of the project, I was very keen on creating a bunch of gameplay mechanics that would allow me to create a fun gameplay experience without having the need of any combat or complex enemy AI.

I looked at game’s like Alien: Isolation, Mirror’s Edge and Outlast as inspiration for fun gameplay without emphasis on combat. This then led me to create a list of some desired elements.

Sprinting  – Used to escape enemies, increase jump distance etc
Crouching – Used to enter underground vents, and to reduce the chance of being spotted
Leaning – Used to peer round corners to make sure the route is clear etc
Climbing – Used to ascend parts of the environment to progress through the level, and escape enemies.
Interactive Objects – Used to cause distractions, clear pathways and to aid in exploration.

So after a couple of weeks work, I’ve managed to put together a pretty solid framework of gameplay that I can know start to build level’s around.

Check out the mechanics all working in engine here:

Game World

The game itself is set inside the VR World. I want the environment to feel really "new" and abundantly clear that its manmade. Hence i decided on going for a concrete/ brutalist architecture style.

Themes

If you couldnt already tell, a huge theme is immigration and refugees. I feel that the current "crisis" really needs a game that could help improve and educate gamer's and by extension their freinds/family view on the matter, that in the end of the day they are incredibly desperate people. I didnt want to recreate a realistic game, as it would add alot of restrictions and ultimately could be a bit of a disservice to the real world scenario.

Game Main Menu

I'm hoping to take it into UE4 and have it working completely in-engine but at the minute, I've got this mock-up version as a proof of concept.

Watch it in action ( sort of Tongue ) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwdWyu-VeAA

World Building Video

For one of my deliverable items for the project, I really wanted to create an accompanying video that would really set the scene for the game world, and help give context to the player when playing the game level. After gathering alot of reference, stock footage and other materials, I’ve managed to get the ball rolling on the creation of the intro video. So far there’s about 10 hours of work maximum put into it, but I think it’s really starting to take shape.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 07:14:18 AM by TerminatorJack » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic