Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 12:54:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsArduventure - 1-bit mini RPG for Arduboy
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Arduventure - 1-bit mini RPG for Arduboy  (Read 5258 times)
Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 27, 2015, 04:26:23 PM »

Hello everyone Smiley

The last few weeks I've been working on a game for Arduboy (Arduino based, creditcard sized, gameboy inspired handheld https://www.arduboy.com/).

The game is called Arduventure and it's an attempt at making a minimalistic RPG for this system. The Arduboy specs are as follows:

16Mhz processor, 32KB Flash Memory, 2.5KB RAM, 128x64 Monochrome display (a pixel can be black or white, no grey).
The game is programmed in C++.

The screenshots and videos below show my progress so far Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGZP7WMhIPU

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/siegfriedcroes
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SiegfriedCroes
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 01:23:04 PM by Siegfried Croes » Logged

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 06:40:21 PM »

Really cool project man! Definitely keeping an eye on this  Blink

I will say that having the name Arduventure kills rpg immersion right from the start  Shrug
Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 10:34:03 AM »

Really cool project man! Definitely keeping an eye on this  Blink

I will say that having the name Arduventure kills rpg immersion right from the start  Shrug

Thanks a lot Smiley I'll sure to keep this topic updated.

You're the first one to comment on the title ^^' It might not sound all that great for an outsider but within the Arduboy community people seem to get it/be fine with it Smiley

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 03:19:31 PM »

The arduboy is something I have had my eyes on since its announcement. How is the development process? How are you creating for it? The art looks really wonderful!

Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 07:46:04 AM »

The arduboy is something I have had my eyes on since its announcement. How is the development process? How are you creating for it? The art looks really wonderful!

I really like how easy it is to make games for it. It uses the same hardware as the Arduino Leonardo so you can use the Arduino IDE to program for it. So you just set everything up, connect the Arduboy to your PC through USB, write some simple lines like:

arduboy.drawBitmap(10, 10, image, 16, 16, WHITE);
arduboy.display();

Then you just click a button, wait a few seconds and you'll see the result on your Arduboy.

Thanks :D I think it's really fun to work with these graphics limitations ^_^

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 09:54:41 AM »

Super cool, posting to follow.

absenter
Level 1

I push pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 11:25:51 AM »

This looks awesome. Keep it up!

Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 02:32:27 PM »

Super cool, posting to follow.

This looks awesome. Keep it up!

Thanks guys :D Currently not making much progress cause I'm stuck with an Arduino IDE glitch, at least that's what I think it is... Hope to continue work soon!

Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 09:41:21 AM »

Made a new video showing off shopping and saving Grin

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 10:34:41 AM »

Wow! This is sooo neat. When you say minimalist, what elements do you have in mind? More so exploration, rather than narrative driven?

Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 07:49:43 AM »

Wow! This is sooo neat. When you say minimalist, what elements do you have in mind? More so exploration, rather than narrative driven?

Thank you very much  Grin
It will be simple and limited because of the limited memory the Arduboy has. So there won't be much narrative or big world to explore. The creator of the Arduboy plans to make an updated version of the system in the future which would include an SD card so that would open up the possibility to make the game bigger Smiley For now it's more like an experiment to see how much I can do with the limited memory.

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 12:56:22 PM »

this is cool :~0

Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 03:43:40 AM »

this is cool :~0

It's been a while since I posted it but as I just received my Arduboy I'll be continuing this project :D

I'll be optimizing the code more and also improve the graphics along the way:

OLD

NEW

EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 09:40:43 PM »

This is interesting, but does the memory limitation ruin it? How do you load more games if it doesn't support a SD card?

16mhz for a black and white display with that resolution wouldn't be taxing the CPU much and only use a tiny bit of memory for a frame buffer (if it uses one.) So you basically end up with a system that has enormous (comparatively) processing power, but not enough memory to make anything really compelling.

I love the idea of using an Arduino for a game machine and I have parts scattered all around my desk with my own attempts but I feel the memory bottleneck is severe. I'm not sure how easy that is to fix though. SD card support with a tiny SDRAM might have sorted it out. GameBoy games could be megabytes in size. But you're kind of stuck with slightly better than Atari level memory size.

As for your game - excellent! It really looks the part. Could have easily passed for a GameBoy game.

Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 01:02:15 PM »

This is interesting, but does the memory limitation ruin it? How do you load more games if it doesn't support a SD card?

16mhz for a black and white display with that resolution wouldn't be taxing the CPU much and only use a tiny bit of memory for a frame buffer (if it uses one.) So you basically end up with a system that has enormous (comparatively) processing power, but not enough memory to make anything really compelling.

I love the idea of using an Arduino for a game machine and I have parts scattered all around my desk with my own attempts but I feel the memory bottleneck is severe. I'm not sure how easy that is to fix though. SD card support with a tiny SDRAM might have sorted it out. GameBoy games could be megabytes in size. But you're kind of stuck with slightly better than Atari level memory size.

As for your game - excellent! It really looks the part. Could have easily passed for a GameBoy game.

The Arduboy can only store one game at a time. It's just meant for fun and to learn programming really. Later they might release an updated version with SD card slot.

The limited memory makes it more fun, I think it's cool to try and make an RPG with very limited resources. If all goes well the worldmap won't be as small as I initially thought! I hope to get it as big as this image (rectangles are the size of the Arduboy screen, the black square is the size of the player):

Thanks a lot :D

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 03:41:36 PM »

This is a really cool project.

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 08:15:33 AM »

whoa! This is the kind of project I'm usually fan of. Super cool!
One thing only: I liked the bed sheets as they were before, checkered. Smiley

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 08:30:46 PM »

One thing only: I liked the bed sheets as they were before, checkered. smiley
I agree with this, and I prefer the original character sprite Smiley Oh opinions
Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 12:17:34 PM »

This is a really cool project.

whoa! This is the kind of project I'm usually fan of. Super cool!
One thing only: I liked the bed sheets as they were before, checkered. Smiley

Thank you very much :D I felt like it was a bit out of place, I might see what it looks like and if I like it I'll keep it checkered Wink

One thing only: I liked the bed sheets as they were before, checkered. smiley
I agree with this, and I prefer the original character sprite Smiley Oh opinions

The new player graphics are reused from my Ludum Dare game because it had a better walk cycle. Is it mainly the face you like more?

Here's a new video showing of how large the world could/will be Smiley The final world will obviously be more than just random trees Wink

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 12:28:53 PM »

Whoa, that's actually a lot more space than I expected! Well, hello there!

Is it mainly the face you like more?
I prefer the longer hair from the original character!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic