Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:24:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignRandom Idea/Word Generator
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Random Idea/Word Generator  (Read 1379 times)
EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: November 30, 2015, 12:08:18 AM »

When I was in high school, I attended a summer arts program for design. The teacher I had taught the students a nifty idea to come up with random ideas. I expanded on that over time so that I was in less control of the results. I made a post about this two years ago on here while I was looking to make the process a bit more automated and not physically have to write out the lists every time.

As of today, I have a temporary answer to this, and it's thanks to google/excel.

First we start with opening a blank google sheets document.

After you're all set with that, go to the "Add-on" drop down menu and do to "Get add-ons"

Download the "Random Generator" app and then open the add ons tab, mouse over the Random Generator app, and click start

Once you have the application open, you'll want to have three columns of random words. Once you have the columns ready, select them all, click on new list in the column list tab, and click generate.

You'll see your words are scrambled, mixing things around so they're not the same. From this, just pick a row of three words and that is your theme for either a character, maybe a mechanic combo, or something else. I'm sure there are better ways to make this work, but so far this is the best non-written solution I have found for this.

Lets take a look at this list here:

From the list above, I was able to make some quick sketches. To each their own how you interpret what comes up each row because you can focus one one aspect more than the other.

So this again is just a nice exercise to come up with unique ideas that you otherwise would of never of thought of. Make it goofy, make it serious, it's all how you interpret each row created from the randomization of your word selection. If you happen to have

I hope this can be a helpful tool for a lot of you, whether for your games or something else.

Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

EasterlyArt Facebook
Carpetwurm
Level 0

Nobody

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 01:58:16 PM »

This could make some seriously awesome games. Thanks for the tip!  Coffee

>Forum signatures
>[current year]
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 05:54:56 PM »

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24530447/flash%20build/GameIdeaStory.html
here we go

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 01:44:55 AM »

now we just need to plug TV Tropes into this...
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 07:10:25 PM »

I plan to expend it, I had to think about a structure for gameplay elements and how to derive them from the game concept generation, I also need to make the story parameter more human readable (but I have open a thread about it already).
I'll further decompose other segments too in order to make a full generative system that produce full game design.

TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 10:57:30 AM »

I guess this could really work on Ludum Dares. Take the jam's subject, research a few related words, an throw it into this generator.

Carpetwurm
Level 0

Nobody

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 10:58:36 AM »

That really would work for LD, huh.

>Forum signatures
>[current year]
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 03:49:43 PM »

I guess this could really work on Ludum Dares. Take the jam's subject, research a few related words, an throw it into this generator.

Have you heard of ANGELINA from Mickeal Cook?
http://www.gamesbyangelina.org/cat/events/game-jams/

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic