Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:24:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionPhenomenon 32 [WITHDRAWN]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Phenomenon 32 [WITHDRAWN]  (Read 33177 times)
Jonas Kyratzes
Level 1

Yes.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 11, 2009, 02:07:38 AM »

Phenomenon 32

In an alternate 1940s, scientists discover an extremely powerful and dangerous new area of physics, code-named Phenomenon 32. Years before it can be fully understood, the United States government uses it to create the ultimate weapon: the Reality Bomb, whose blast not only destroys matter, but shatters reality itself.

By the 1950s, the Great Depression has reached an unimaginable low. With the threat of revolution and pressure from the multinationals on the inside, and the aggressive policies of Stalinist Russia on the outside, the government sees only one way of revitalizing the economy: war.

Within less than a day, the Earth is gone. The Reality Bomb has done its work.

Twenty years later, a small population of humans is still alive on the moon. Previously dismissed and laughed about as a waste of money, the Moon Colony is now humanity's last shelter from the insanity of war. But the Moon Colony was never meant to be completely self-sufficient, and now resources are finally running out.
There is only one place to get more.

In a special ship designed to withstand the dangerous environments of Earth, you are sent to explore our former planet, to gather information for research, and to find all the materials needed for the Moon Colony to survive.

But Earth is no longer the Earth we knew. Things have shifted; out from the cracks in reality, creatures have come that live in the darkness between the worlds. The atmosphere is often poisonous; radiation from Soviet bombs is widely spread; and in some places, reality itself is so fractured that not even your ship's shields can protect you. Phenomenon 32 has turned the Earth into something... unknown.

-------

Phenomenon 32 will be a 2D exploration/strategy/RPG game. It will feature:

• Exploration of a very strange, hostile environment
  • The ability to improve your ship
  • Research that sheds light on the mysteries of Earth and furthers your tech
  • Turn-based menu-based combat
  • A detailed and useful cockpit interface
  • Non-linear gameplay
  • An evolving storyline
  • other stuff
  • (possibly) some voice acting

The central design concept, except for having an interesting story and scaring the crap out of some players (while definitely boring others), is to have a really detailed cockpit, and one that really functions. The screenshot above is not entirely complete: there will be quite a few more controls and tools. These are designed so that you really have the experience of piloting this ship in the surreal horror environment of Earth; not in terms of not-hitting-rocks-and-exploding, but in terms of understanding and using the readings and settings.

Wish me luck!

UPDATE: See my post on page three. I am still going to finish this, but I don't want to release a crappy version.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 07:54:29 PM by Jonas Kyratzes » Logged

"Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity." - G. K. Chesterton
http://www.jonas-kyratzes.net
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 04:34:46 AM »

First, the graphics looks astounding and very inspiring! Second, this is ambitious! I hope you'll pull this off and look forward very much to playing the game! Hat's off to you, sir! Gentleman

Best of luck!

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 05:48:13 AM »

If you manage to pull this out, I congratulate you. Very epic and extremely cool concept. Smiley

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 06:57:18 AM »

holy crap that looks awesome. please finish.

Fuzz
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 07:36:44 AM »

This sounds really cool. I wasn't sure if you were going to keep making games after I read this, so it's nice to know you still are.
Jonas Kyratzes
Level 1

Yes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 10:48:49 AM »

Nice to see people are interested! I hope you won't be disappointed... especially since the thing isn't 3D or anything.

Anyway. Spent most of today working out interface issues, and figuring out some basic design questions that need to be resolved. A lot of stuff is already working, including moving around the map, changing your statistics, and a basic version of combat.

More screenshots will follow when the interface is complete.

"Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity." - G. K. Chesterton
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 03:26:15 PM »

Sounds like it could be a really cool game. It's quite ambitious, so I hope you can manage to complete it.

Jonas Kyratzes
Level 1

Yes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 03:57:21 AM »

Almost-finished interface.

Spent some time making sure the game will also run properly on monitors with higher DPI settings, which was a problem with my previous game, Desert Bridge.

Jonas Kyratzes
Level 1

Yes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 07:53:51 AM »

Most of the interface (and with it, the game's basic functions) is working. A few more little things have to be added, but they're not very difficult. I do have to differentiate more clearly between the various aspects of the shield, though (current amount, current maximum amount due to damage, maximum amount in general).

Next up is the base to which you can return for upgrades, research, and so on.

Jonas Kyratzes
Level 1

Yes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 09:53:35 AM »

Actually, I came up with a better system for handling the shields, based on a "power" stat that affects both the shields and combat. Sometimes there really are very simple solutions to seemingly difficult design issues.

Fuzz
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 11:01:12 AM »

So is it sort of hard sci-fi?
Jonas Kyratzes
Level 1

Yes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 01:14:51 PM »

So is it sort of hard sci-fi?

Well, not exactly. In terms of style and gameplay, yes. In terms of actual physics, no.
(I think that makes sense. Kind of.)

Jonas Kyratzes
Level 1

Yes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 08:22:58 AM »

Made quite a bit of progress in the handling of the various statistics. Also cut my finger on a piece of glass, which makes programming extra fun.

Jonas Kyratzes
Level 1

Yes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 07:37:27 AM »

Currently implementing the Short-Range Communications system, which allows you to talk to possible survivors and pick up radio signals and the like. Whether or not you can communicate is based on how strong the SRC signal is and how good your overall reception/signal is. You can research better equipment that will boost your signal stat and make communication easier.

You can also use this menu to request an energy downlink from your people on the moon base, but your signal has to be really high for it to work. (This depends on the area you're in, and of course on your equipment.)

NOTE: The dialogue in the screenshot is just a test. Bob the Spider is not actually in this game.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 07:52:26 AM »

This seems like incredibly good stuff.

Only thing I don't get is how those grafics can be 3D?

Looks good though.
Jonas Kyratzes
Level 1

Yes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 08:13:21 AM »

This seems like incredibly good stuff.

Only thing I don't get is how those grafics can be 3D?

Looks good though.

They aren't! To quote myself:

Phenomenon 32 will be a 2D exploration/strategy/RPG game.

and

I hope you won't be disappointed... especially since the thing isn't 3D or anything.

The graphics are 2D. Essentially you're navigating a map, with tile-based movement. Think of it as some kind of future-radar. Smiley

Fuzz
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 10:14:46 AM »

Bob the Spider! You should hide him somewhere in the game. :D
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 07:02:11 AM »

My bad Gentleman

Looking forward to see what this becomes Smiley
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 09:40:23 PM »

I fancy I might be up for voice acting when you need some.  Send me some text and a character description or two to audition for.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Jonas Kyratzes
Level 1

Yes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 02:36:10 AM »

I fancy I might be up for voice acting when you need some.  Send me some text and a character description or two to audition for.

I may take you up on that.

Currently building the tech tree (gardening, you know) and related research stuff. Then it's off to the game world. The schedule is tight, but it should be doable.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic