Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:02:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionPhotonTrap [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: PhotonTrap [FINISHED]  (Read 15719 times)
MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 11, 2009, 03:11:25 PM »

This is my second entry as my other game might take too long to finish.

Photon trap is a Tron Light Cycle style game where ships move along the inside surface of a sphere. Its not the trails that you’ll be colliding with, but mines dropped by ships at regular intervals, so you’ll be able to dodge in-between them.

Download

PhotonTrap v1.1

Controls (as of latest version)

Mouse – Look around
LMB – Fire
RMB - Toggle Cockpit / Chase view

W,S – Accelerate/Decelerate
A,D – Turn left and right

F - Toggle aiming
Space - Hold aim

Space - Toggle freecam in spectator mode
LMB - View Next player in spectator mode
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 01:57:19 PM by MysticSi » Logged

jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 05:45:16 PM »

well that is quite neet!  i like it as I have little idea how to do such a thing,. 3d math crushes my tinny little simian brain,. but I learn stuff all the time, so perhaps if i thought deeply about it,. . i really like the way you can look around in the cockpit and steer independently,. like an flight/train/etc/ sim,.  interested to see what you make of this,. what is the engine tech?

http://iterationGAMES.com
http://jph_wacheski.itch.io/
all my itch.io games are now pay-what-you-like Wink
MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 04:10:59 AM »

Its coded in C++ using my own library wich in turn uses OpenGl. It contains classes to simplify the math, such as vector addition, rotation and matrix multiplication and inversion.

MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 04:34:37 PM »

There are now multiple opponents, minelaying and shooting. There’s no collision detection as of yet and the opponent ships simply mimic your own movements.

http://alternatelogic.net/files/PhotonTrap_v0.2.rar

The new controls are

Mouse – Look around
LMB – Fire
RMB - Toggle Cockpit / Chase view

W,S – Accelerate/Decelerate
A,D – Turn left and right
R – Randomize your colour

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 02:52:35 AM »

Looking nice so far! I had a problem with the brightness, though; the sphere is a little bit dark, so it's often hard to get a sense of speed, particularly if there are no enemy trails visible. I like how slowing down becomes a tactic, as it decreases the space between your mines.

Are you planning to do anything more with the cockpit? Like the sphere, it's also a little indistinct at the moment, and it can sometimes be hard to tell which direction is forward, if you mouselook too much.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 04:33:44 AM »

I had a problem with the brightness, though; the sphere is a little bit dark, so it's often hard to get a sense of speed

Yes I thought this might be a problem, my monitor is stuck on full brightness so it looks fine to me, I will be adding an options menu with the ability to adjust the spheres brightness.

I’m also aware that the cockpit is kind of hard to make out, this is why I took the screenshots in 3rd person because in still it's barely distinguishable from the trails.

It is only a temporary cockpit I quickly put together and was planning on making something more detailed.

jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 06:00:23 AM »

yes, I like it even more,. Grin perhaps having the opponents movements based on the players is a good idea, just adding a bit of random or AI augmentation,. gives a reaction feel. Some engine sounds could help with the speed feedback perhaps a dial or meter as well,. I like to cockpit now,. and it is all easy for me to see, and quite pleaseing to look at.

http://iterationGAMES.com
http://jph_wacheski.itch.io/
all my itch.io games are now pay-what-you-like Wink
MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 08:33:40 AM »

Actually you’ve given me an idea there. I could give the AI various states such as Free roam, Tactical, Mimicry ect.. Then when each opponent is initialised it’s preferences for how much time to spend in each state is randomized, giving them a kind of individualized personality.

MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 05:27:10 AM »

Thanks for that, GLIntercept proved most useful. The bug was in my model rendering code wich doesn’t occur when they are drawn in wireframe, so you will only get the problem in v0.1 when switching to 3rd person (wich is the F1 key in v0.1)

I also found a problem where I was drawing a non-existent draw list, wich is present in both versions.

Here’s a new version that fixes both problems, as well as the AI improvements I mentioned, and also an improved crosshair on the HUD.

PhotonTrap_v0.3

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 09:32:35 AM »

Looking good so far, though I guess hit detection is not there yet? Smiley

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 05:16:32 PM »

Here’s the latest version, wich introduces collision detection and a respawn sequence, as well as LOD on the mines so that more of them can be displayed.

The AI hasn’t yet been made to doge mines or fire weapons so they end up dying a lot.
Also explosions have yet to be put in, so you currently just respawn instantly after getting destroyed.

PhotonTrap_v0.4.rar

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 11:56:28 PM »

That is super awsome! The only thing I would change is that the bullets should go in the direction you aim, not the direction you're going. That would make the aim around-mechanic meaningful, and also make the gameplay a bit more dynamic.

The sense of speed is great, like how the ship tilts a bit when turning. It's really goodlooking too.
MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 03:00:45 PM »

This latest version has a lot of new features, most notably the menu system, explosions, a spectator mode and a message system saying who killed who ect…

There’s also the beginnings of the gameplay modes, if you turn lives on you will get a Last Man Standing style game, although without a check for a winner yet.

I do intend to allow aiming slightly to the left and right, I just haven’t gotten around to implementing it yet.

PhotonTrap_v0.5.rar

In spectator mode you can switch between freecam and player cam with the space bar.

MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 08:49:56 AM »

Here is the latest version, wich now features aiming, pickups and checking for win conditions.

PhotonTrap_v0.6.rar

MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 01:55:41 PM »

Well its as finished as its going to be for the compo. All I’ve really gotten around to doing since the last version is to add in a few sound effects.

PhotonTrap v1.1

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 09:12:36 AM »

Oh, now I like this one a lot. Put some sound in it but it's definitely worth a nod.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 03:28:23 PM »

It looks so awesome but the texts are illegible, I just get grey rectangles where the characters are supposed to be (running it on a Bootcamp Windows XP2). I'll post a screenshot when I've found the PrintScr combo...

MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 06:29:32 AM »

The only thing I can think of that would cause this, is the font texture not being loaded.
Did you extract the contents of the .rar file before running the game?

Lyx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 02:32:50 PM »

Meh, i registered just to post this.

This game has lots of potential and could be awesome with some visual polish and multiplayer-code. Please dont write this off as an "experiment" - this is very interesting!
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 10:06:32 AM »

I'm a little late with this, as I am just now playing through each of the compo entries. But for anyone else wondering why PhotonTrap is possibly not working:
The PhotonTrap folder packed with all other entries with names from P to Z, available here is missing the data folder!

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic