Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:09:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsB-GamesSpace Barnacle
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Space Barnacle  (Read 82935 times)
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 07:43:12 PM »

OMG, you totally stole the whole "reborn as a cyborg" thing from my game.
(But if you promise to keep making awesome games like this, I promise I won't sue.)
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007, 08:09:50 PM »

I thought your game was about poop!  and david bowie in general midi!

@doomlaser, mark johns
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2007, 08:22:22 PM »

I thought your game was about poop!  and david bowie in general midi!

Yeah but it also has a cyborg battle with the unicorn.

Actually, I haven't gotten to this part in your game yet! I never have enough time to play it all the way through. It makes me really excited though!
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2007, 09:49:31 PM »

There are definitely B elements within the game, I agree with that.. I suppose I was just referring to the feel of the game itself - it feels very smooth and polished.. the whole 'take my gun, avenge me' was quite amusing in a B way.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2007, 08:24:10 PM »

Hey, if anyone's interested, there's a new build of barnacle up for download here.

new intro, the game keeps track of deaths and time to beat, and I've also split up some of the larger levels into chunks to speed the game up, and offer more save points.  also there's more blood.

thanks to everybody for the feedback.  This competition was really fun, and a great idea.  And Guert, I don't know what to say!  It's incredibly useful to get such an exhaustive deconstruction, and I hope others benefit from the insight you put into a game's experience.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 10:12:40 PM by Golds » Logged

@doomlaser, mark johns
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 08:56:24 PM »

I loved this game! Kudos on this one man...I love the NES style setup and retro/b-game combination...excellent job Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2007, 09:06:26 PM »

Ah, dang. I gotta play me that new build!
Much love, Golds!
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2007, 06:07:29 AM »

I'm gonna check out the new build soon... Thx!

Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2007, 02:00:52 PM »

This is too good to be a B-Game. Tongue Will you ever release a longer version of it? It just feels kinda...incomplete right now.

I like the style too, reminds me a lot of Lyle in Cube Sector.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2007, 03:22:52 PM »

Will you ever release a longer version of it? It just feels kinda...incomplete right now.

Yeah I'm still working on it.  I had a lot of stuff planned out which I didn't have time to add, and there's plenty of good suggestions that Guert and others have brought up that I'd like to address.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 03:54:27 PM by Golds » Logged

@doomlaser, mark johns
Pixelworship
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2008, 05:01:00 AM »

How about a linux version?

@optriromini
Greater Beast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2008, 10:39:46 PM »

There's a Java version in the works.  It should work cross-platform.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2008, 12:00:26 AM »

Space Barnacle at Macworld

@doomlaser, mark johns
iosomewhere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2008, 12:47:21 PM »

Can anybody tell me how it is possible that this kid on the photo plays the game in real full screen ?

When I start the exe. , all I have even when I press ALT and ENTER is such a little screen surrounded by black Sad

Is there anything I missed with that ? Any help how to get that big filled screen ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 12:49:45 PM by iosomewhere » Logged
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2008, 06:00:57 PM »

Can anybody tell me how it is possible that this kid on the photo plays the game in real full screen ?

When I start the exe. , all I have even when I press ALT and ENTER is such a little screen surrounded by black Sad

Is there anything I missed with that ? Any help how to get that big filled screen ?

Thanks
You're on a laptop, aren't you?
Right click on your desktop and search for an option in the drop down with choices like "Maintain Aspect Ratio" and "Center Desktop" and set it to something other then center desktop.
Otherwise, no clue.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Shoot-em-upper
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2008, 08:23:07 PM »

Thanks
You're on a laptop, aren't you?
Right click on your desktop and search for an option in the drop down with choices like "Maintain Aspect Ratio" and "Center Desktop" and set it to something other then center desktop.
Otherwise, no clue.

It doesn't matter if you're on a laptop.  Right-click, select Graphics Properties, and hunt for the approprate option in your graphics card's interface.  You should select "Maintain Aspect Ratio" if you have a standard 4:3 monitor/screen, and Fullscreen if you have a widescreen monitor/screen.

Note:  I haven't used XP in ages, so the "Graphics Properties" option may be absent if you're using that.  Whatever the case, you should be able to change your settings in your graphics card's interface.
iosomewhere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2008, 10:43:55 AM »

Hy guys,

just wanted to say thanks,
still doesen't work somehow..but was worth a try !
I think it must have something to do with my Pc's grafic card(no laptop:)
It's really a poor card as far as i know.

Anyway,thanks once again.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2008, 05:27:21 AM »

Hy guys,

just wanted to say thanks,
still doesen't work somehow..but was worth a try !
I think it must have something to do with my Pc's grafic card(no laptop:)
It's really a poor card as far as i know.

Anyway,thanks once again.

Alt+Enter works for me.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2008, 06:06:00 AM »

I just finished the game. I may review it for playthisthing.com (Patrick Dugan is trying to recruit me as a reviewer for that site) but here are some initial thoughts:

- I liked the Zelda 2 elevators best, it was nice to see them used like that.

- The ending was anti-climatic (if that's the right word)! 'To be continued' instead of a final boss fight? Sad [I hope that's not a spoiler for those who haven't played it.]

- One of the music tracks I also used in Alphasix for one of the stages, we have similar tastes in music I guess.

- There was massive slowdown in many of the rooms, particularly the larger ones with pink backgrounds and when there were lots of particles/broken box fragments on the screen at once; perhaps disabling objects when they're off the screen might help? I have a GeForce 4 MX video card though, which is typically bad at most newer games.

- I think a map/auto-map feature would help a lot, especially if you continue the game and make it larger than it is now.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2008, 06:32:07 AM »

hat.

- The ending was anti-climatic (if that's the right word)! 'To be continued' instead of a final boss fight? Sad [I hope that's not a spoiler for those who haven't played it.]

I disagree.  I think the ending was superb, especially if there is never a sequel.  The abruptness was a perfect example of comedic timing.  That, and the game doesn't need a final boss.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic