Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:50:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTaleSpire - Digital Role-playing System
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: TaleSpire - Digital Role-playing System  (Read 29588 times)
Ree
Level 0

I'm terrible with personal texts

View Profile WWW
« on: February 17, 2016, 08:04:34 AM »

(The Logo is a sketch and is very much a Work In Progress)

About the game:
(Anything here is likely subject to change)

TaleSpire is a Digital Role-Playing System trying to capture the feel of tabletop gaming using miniatures and dice, while utilizing some of the benefits of going digital.
Dungeon Masters can build campaigns, set up scenarios and invite players. Taking them through the experience as you would in a Pen & Paper style campaign. We're automating some of the rules and processes, aiming to keep downtime to a minimum while still allowing the DM and Players to make decisions along the way to create whatever narrative they aspire to.

Building your Campaign:

Building happens in the same space as playing. You can literally build as you play the game, or just make changes to what you've already set up. Anyone who is logged in as a DM can help build tiles and place encounters.
Hopefully we can make building stuff just as fun as playing the game.

Playing the game:

(Video Features the end of a design session we were having on twitch some months ago)

If you're a Dungeon Master you'll have access to the entire map and the ability to expand at any point if you need to.
You'll see pre-set encounters you can choose to trigger or not, depending on your preference. You'll also have notifications signifying what players might want to do and what they're doing so you can act accordingly.

As a player you're presented with your character and the amount of map you're visibly able to see. You can move around freely in exploration mode and can go explore until Combat Mode is engaged. During combat mode a combat queue is generated and players + creatures takes turn rolling dice and using abilities. Players can also roll for none combat events which is primarally handled by the DM.

The look of the game:

We're going for a miniature board type look for sure, but with some more motion and effects where there otherwise would be none. Wavy flickering plastic flames, moving liquids and probably some magical effects of sorts when attacking. We're trying to unify the look of the game by using Substance Designer. Creating materials that can be applied to everything to archive similar highlights, brushing and specular highlights. It's getting there.

A bit about us:

We're BouncyRock. Currently 3 people, wearing all sorts of different hats. We did a bunch of Mods for Neverwinter Nights 2 almost a decade ago and have been doing some Jam Games etc since. We're also on twitter @bouncyrock

PS :: This thread will be updated going forward. Both this top entry and additional entries as we continue development. We might also add a FAQ if we get a lot of questions going forward as it is a rather strange project.
Coffee
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 06:53:16 AM by Ree » Logged

Oli414
Level 0

This text is too personal for you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 08:14:16 AM »

That looks extremely good! And I'm really loving the concept behind it.

I've seen this somewhere else before I think, could that have been the Unity subreddit?

Tuludo Demo - The online game creator without limits! - Devblog
ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 08:18:25 AM »

Looks great. I love the concept too, good luck!

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
Ree
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 08:19:37 AM »

That looks extremely good! And I'm really loving the concept behind it.

I've seen this somewhere else before I think, could that have been the Unity subreddit?

Thank you very much Smiley I haven't posted it on the Unity subreddit however I have posted it around on TigSource forums before as well as Screenshot Saturday etc on twitter. It recently got a name, so I thought it was a good time to make a proper DevLog for it.

Looks great. I love the concept too, good luck!
Thank you!

Bakuda
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 09:45:22 AM »

This looks great!  I've recently been playing Armello, which is another digital board game but done in a 2D style with animated characters instead of board game pieces.  But the concept is much the same.  I didn't think I'd like it at first but the more I play the more I love it!  This game looks very well done.  Everything is highly detailed and it looks to be quite the experience.

Ree
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 12:37:31 PM »

Thank you very much Bakuda! Yeah, Armello is a lovely game indeed. I should play that some more as well :D

s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 12:56:42 PM »

From an artistic point of view it looks gorgeous and I like the fact the figurines are not moving. I don't really like playing board games in real life, mostly because we just drink beer and talk about other things than the game, nobody pays attention anymore yet we're required to get involved and make decisions, and we leave at like 1 or 2 AM and then I'm hungry and it's freezing and I generally hate it. Your game is my savior and I have high hopes for it.

Ree
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 12:40:32 AM »

Thank you very much Smiley I too love the warm embrace of my monitor, keeping me sober and well fed since 1989. (Counting my Commodore 64, even though it was hooked up to a television). I hope we can be your salvation from what does sound like a pretty grueling experience with the tabelly-toppedly variation of games. Thanks again for your compliments!

miguli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 01:05:38 AM »

Following, looks gorgeous  Waaagh!
Ree
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 08:33:25 AM »

Thank you very much miguli!

Just finished a Launcher using P.A.T.C.H Works extremely well.
Didn't take me too much time to set it up. Makes iterating and sharing builds a ton easier!

Art temporary

Ree
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 11:03:59 AM »

Been primarily focusing on the Web backend for storing campaign data. So not much exciting to show. I did make a GIF featuring some of the Building things. I also had some time to do a bit of sculpting this weekend.

TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 12:08:16 PM »

Frankly I'm jealous. It looks amazing.

Ree
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 12:01:01 AM »

Thank you very much! I've been keeping an eye on Outland 17 as well. The style and setting of that is very much up my alley :D

Ree
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 02:26:49 AM »

[VOICE CHAT INGAME]
Not too much of an update this week. I did get Voice Chat into the game. We're already using Photon Networking by ExitGames for realtime syncing. So we decided to try out their new Voice Chat Unity integration. It works REALLY well! We had a team meeting ingame, and on several occasions forgot we were not running Skype and accidentally closed out the game to tweak something. It was really cool.

[PLAYING AROUND WITH EFFECTS, for fun (WILL NOT BE USED)]
Was also having fun with Post-Processing effects. Not something we'll use, however it did make some interesting results.
I call this one: "Magazine re-scan"

(posting this here, primarily to have something visual to show Tongue)

["CINEMATIC CAM" TOOL]
The camera angles are is a mockup for the possible "Cinematic" tool which enables the DM to select an area of interest and it will zoom in on that area and try to get the interesting things in frame. Something that can help storytelling a bit without making it too cumbersome.

[edit] Changed out the Images with smaller versions for sake of formatting
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 02:31:51 AM by Ree » Logged

Ree
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 01:50:53 PM »

We'll be doing some Testing with traditional rules in a couple of weeks. so here is a full dice set for the occasion.

1D4 is as underwhelming to roll ing-ame as in real life.

Edit: It moves:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 03:16:59 PM by Ree » Logged

EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 01:28:02 AM »

You guys have some excellent art direction. I love this idea and I hope you see it all the way through.

You mentioned Photon Network. I'm so wary of relying on 3rd parties because how long you can typically support a game with an active player base. I have some games that I have been updating for half a decade. I worry that with those long time frames that a company like Photon could come and go and leave you having to port all your code to another networking solution.

Maybe if you made a sort of a network interface that could be swapped out easily without breaking your game that would be the way to go. Then if Photon goes away or changes their pricing you have a way out.

Did you try Unity's built in network solution? It's fairly new and I think I would go with that if I were to add networking now. I have played around with Photon and loved how easy it was to get started though.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 01:34:27 AM by EvilDingo » Logged

TalosRunewards
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 02:00:10 AM »

That looks incredible! Looking forward to what you guys will do.
motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 03:05:57 AM »

This looks right up my street, I love a good board game.  I'm digging the hand painted look to the models and the motion of the dice when you roll them, I'll be following this for sure.
Ree
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 04:41:03 AM »

You guys have some excellent art direction. I love this idea and I hope you see it all the way through.

You mentioned Photon Network. I'm so wary of relying on 3rd parties because how long you can typically support a game with an active player base. I have some games that I have been updating for half a decade. I worry that with those long time frames that a company like Photon could come and go and leave you having to port all your code to another networking solution.

Maybe if you made a sort of a network interface that could be swapped out easily without breaking your game that would be the way to go. Then if Photon goes away or changes their pricing you have a way out.

Did you try Unity's built in network solution? It's fairly new and I think I would go with that if I were to add networking now. I have played around with Photon and loved how easy it was to get started though.

Thanks for the kind words!
I have been rather wary of that myself. So I've been trying to keep it fairly decoupled (sort of like you suggested, easy to switch out). Eventually I think we'd have to figure out our own solution, but not sure what that would be. Unity's seem quite similar to how Photon works, so it might be an easy conversion. Thanks for your input on this, I'll certainly put it into consideration.

That looks incredible! Looking forward to what you guys will do.
Thanks! much appreciated Smiley

This looks right up my street, I love a good board game.  I'm digging the hand painted look to the models and the motion of the dice when you roll them, I'll be following this for sure.
Awesome! Happy to hear it

fskn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 02:40:18 AM »

That is gorgeous and I want it!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic