Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 01:47:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall"AOOFAD/Au Sable" Now Done!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: "AOOFAD/Au Sable" Now Done!  (Read 179047 times)
Fuzz
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 02:23:20 PM »

The Vista problem is very probably caused by it being made in GM6, and if you download this you can easily convert the exe to a Vista compatible game.
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 02:39:59 PM »

The Vista problem is very probably caused by it being made in GM6, and if you download this you can easily convert the exe to a Vista compatible game.

Oh sweet, that worked. 

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 04:43:59 PM »

Got it to run after running the GM converter. I liked it a lot.

It turns out to be a little tricky to play with a trackpad.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 04:46:54 PM »

Those are my only two gripes, the rest was pretty good.  One major problem though: the game went completely tits-up when I got to the giant eyeball boss... but that may just be due to it's wip status?  The controls became unresponsive and laggy at that point... I would press jump and two seconds later the dude would jump.  The game itself didn't seem to slow down though.

The eyeball thing was a boss? I got there and jumped around in its general vicinity, all of a sudden I found myself looking at what looked like two screens of credits (which flashed by without me being able to read any of it-- I assumed because I was still shooting and I had clicked through them) and the game quit back to the menu screen. The eyeball never moved.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Kevin
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 07:03:32 PM »

Creepy. Nice.

I agree with deadeye about the arrow boosters, and I felt like they should have propelled me whether or not I was holding the jump key. Jumping did feel a bit... stiff or something, too.

I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 09:48:18 PM »

The eyeball thing was a boss?

I don't know, I was just assuming...

tweet tweet @j_younger
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 01:19:48 AM »

Regarding the  Blink : It's just a way to get the player to the next room (which wasnt created yet, so instead you get abrupt credits. my apologies.  I'm not sure what was causing the slow-down in that area on some computers but I'll do some subtle trimming.

Jumps and Gravity: I'll do a few experiments with making the gravity feel a little less pushy and more airy, maybe if i feel cocky I'll include some kind of fancy-pants double-jump accessory.  Too much meddling with this might break the gameplay of areas 1 and 2 too much though.  I can't make any promises.  Shrug

Arrow-Accelerators:  Sadly, this item's coding is a little too far over my head, the PF engine I was using as a basis has some very magical coding that I don't always understand.  So far, all my attempts to improve the accelerators has led to crashing, or other various failures. We'll keep trying tho!

Death and Dying:  Oh, don't worry.  I have some deaths that nobody, not even my RL friends have seen yet.  I've been pleased with them and all I have to do is pick a favorite.

**Teensy Spoiler**
If you want to take a peek down the rabbit hole at more pretty things, go watch my new youtube preview

Thank you all for your interest, stay tuned for more!

-Amon26
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 02:05:10 AM »

**Teensy Spoiler**
If you want to take a peek down the rabbit hole at more pretty things, go watch my new youtube preview

The thing at the beginning and the big monster seemed kinda out of place to me. With the whole nice low resolution look, the sharp edges on these didn't really fit. Not sure if this is actually true in case of the monster as you could only see it briefly but I noticed this at the beginning.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 12:04:40 PM »

**Teensy Spoiler**

The thing at the beginning and the big monster seemed kinda out of place to me. With the whole nice low resolution look, the sharp edges on these didn't really fit. Not sure if this is actually true in case of the monster as you could only see it briefly but I noticed this at the beginning.

Hmm, they're rendered in the exact same resolution as everything else, but I think i get what you're talking about.  Experimentations are occurring

btw, jumping/gravity is much nicer now. accelerator-blocks have beefier boxes.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2009, 09:33:26 PM »

UPDATE

Well, hello there!
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 04:46:01 AM »

Crocodile! Mock Anger
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 11:59:19 AM »

Go Gatorman! He's a champ!

Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 12:09:11 PM »

Here, have a fresh new beta!
Hope you Enjoy!!
http://rapidshare.com/files/215880408/AOFAD_Beta2.rar

now most of the effects, assets, and tools are in place so, aside from a little tweaking here or there, all I need to do is hammer out the rest of the levels, compose more spooky music/effects, and truck it out to completion!
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 01:23:52 PM »

Good job on the newest part, but is there a way across that giant spike pit? Undecided
If you really wanna do something to creep someone out, you could have the disk tray open and then close instantly in some parts. A person would think it happened all on its own! You could also do some fourth wall breaking things like making it look like the program had been accidentally exited out of and then putting you right back in three seconds later, or jumping from fullscreen to windowed mode and back eerily (or the other way around.) Think Psycho Mantis.

Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 03:05:11 PM »

Good job on the newest part, but is there a way across that giant spike pit? Undecided
If you really wanna do something to creep someone out, you could have the disk tray open and then close instantly in some parts. A person would think it happened all on its own! You could also do some fourth wall breaking things like making it look like the program had been accidentally exited out of and then putting you right back in three seconds later, or jumping from fullscreen to windowed mode and back eerily (or the other way around.) Think Psycho Mantis.

aah! ive thought about those a little, but now that they've been mentioned I might have to go with my alternatives.  Who knows?  Maybe i'll just reach through the screen and honk your left one with my emaciated hand?  I always thought about doing that Wink  Good ideas though!

Also, sorry, spikey level's not finished yet. I just thought I'd let you have a peek at it.  Glad you're enjoying it! :D
Fuzz
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 06:02:24 PM »

aah! ive thought about those a little, but now that they've been mentioned I might have to go with my alternatives.  Who knows?  Maybe i'll just reach through the screen and honk your left one with my emaciated hand?  I always thought about doing that Wink  Good ideas though!

Also, sorry, spikey level's not finished yet. I just thought I'd let you have a peek at it.  Glad you're enjoying it! :D
Think Karoshi 2! But actually, I don't really think that fits the game. It would probably break the atmospheric tension (what?).
snake2020
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 01:38:09 AM »

end here?
undertech
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 02:35:30 AM »

I'm probably asking for way too much here but are you ever planning on making the top half of the body follow the direction the gun is pointing? Even if it's something as simple as it facing left/right properly when the gun goes past 12/6'o clock would make things look a lot less silly.
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 06:07:03 AM »

I played it now and my previous concerns about some of the "sharper" artwork are gone. Everything looks fantastic ingame and it has a very nice atmosphere.

Are the multiple paths or is it linear? I only ask because I saw another way but couldn't reach it. Thought you were not supposed to go there but maybe I'm wrong. Smiley

I'm probably asking for way too much here but are you ever planning on making the top half of the body follow the direction the gun is pointing? Even if it's something as simple as it facing left/right properly when the gun goes past 12/6'o clock would make things look a lot less silly.
Also this. :D
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 06:12:12 AM »

The game seems really promising.  I have to say though, the most interesting part of the game is the beginning before the game starts.  I love those graphics that scroll up the side of the screen.  If there was a way to incorporate that into the game I think it would be really great.  I really like the use of text in the level , but next time make sure you give players some way of knowing that its the end of the demo.  I spent a while with my friend trying to figure out how to get past that part, luckily I eventually gave up.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic