Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:20:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall"AOOFAD/Au Sable" Now Done!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: "AOOFAD/Au Sable" Now Done!  (Read 178585 times)
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2009, 08:29:01 PM »

The game seems really promising.  I have to say though, the most interesting part of the game is the beginning before the game starts.  I love those graphics that scroll up the side of the screen.  If there was a way to incorporate that into the game I think it would be really great.  I really like the use of text in the level , but next time make sure you give players some way of knowing that its the end of the demo.  I spent a while with my friend trying to figure out how to get past that part, luckily I eventually gave up.

Don't worry, more yummy text and strange scrolling stuff is in the works!  Also, I'm sorry for the abrupt endings on each demo, I'm trying to keep a steady speed with my work so I end up overlooking useful stuff like that when i kick a demo out.  Embarrassed

I played it now and my previous concerns about some of the "sharper" artwork are gone. Everything looks fantastic ingame and it has a very nice atmosphere.

Are the multiple paths or is it linear? I only ask because I saw another way but couldn't reach it. Thought you were not supposed to go there but maybe I'm wrong. Smiley

I'm probably asking for way too much here but are you ever planning on making the top half of the body follow the direction the gun is pointing? Even if it's something as simple as it facing left/right properly when the gun goes past 12/6'o clock would make things look a lot less silly.
Also this. :D

This will be a linear game, a panorama of the unknown. I'll also be leaving it upto the audience to decide what the meaning of it all is.  The real game is trying to fill in the gaps with your own explanations. I know what it is, but i'll never tell.

Also, sorry. no torso-flip.  It's too far into development to go back and re-work all the code for the player.  Remember, I'm figuring this out by the seat of my pants  Epileptic

Srsly, how do you devs do this stuff? Amazed, I am!!
Fuzz
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2009, 10:14:16 PM »

This will be a linear game, a panorama of the unknown. I'll also be leaving it upto the audience to decide what the meaning of it all is.  The real game is trying to fill in the gaps with your own explanations. I know what it is, but i'll never tell.

Also, sorry. no torso-flip.  It's too far into development to go back and re-work all the code for the player.  Remember, I'm figuring this out by the seat of my pants  Epileptic

Srsly, how do you devs do this stuff? Amazed, I am!!
I am at amazed at how awesome this is for your first(?) game you've made by yourself. Also, please don't tell anyone what it's supposed to mean. That would seriously fuck the whole thing up.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2009, 11:49:20 PM »

Thanks Fuzz!  To be fair, I am developing this off an pre-existing platformer engine someone coded in GM (freely distributed) so I cant take much credit for the smooth jumping/running.  I just noodled the integers.  The rest is all me though.  Sounds, music, graphics etc.

Haven't managed to do any work on it tonight.  Family health crisis, I'm in my folks' livingroom keeping an eye on a very sick grandma. Worried.  Beg

Send up a little prayer for your pal Amon, huh?
Fuzz
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »

Hoping your grandmother's okay, Amon.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2009, 07:16:14 PM »

Much thanks fuzz, she's better but things are still rocky.

Question to watchers: What do you think "He" is?. White devil? Cat? Bear?

Just curious to see what you imagine.  I might do a couple fan-art doodles in various preceptions.
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2009, 12:10:55 AM »

Much thanks fuzz, she's better but things are still rocky.

Question to watchers: What do you think "He" is?. White devil? Cat? Bear?

Just curious to see what you imagine.  I might do a couple fan-art doodles in various preceptions.
I guess I imagined it kind of like a more slender and moving version of the statues in Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis.

Can't find the exact statue I thought of but I guess these will do:

(The one in the front)
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2009, 12:50:04 AM »

Nice! I like it!  While I was out tonight for my usual coffee/cigarette binge I did a few doodles. nothing scan-worthy though.  Also, I've got some lovely new monsters and events that are going to be fun experiences.

Note, this looks like it will be a short game, I don't want to bury myself in conceptual hell and never end up birthing it.
Fuzz
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2009, 06:54:36 AM »

There's nothing wrong with a short game.
Fuzz
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2009, 02:21:12 PM »

Amon, is there any chance you could post a link to the PF engine you're using for this? It sounds very good.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2009, 03:48:06 PM »

I wish I could, I can't find the original anymore online, and the copy I have has been mutated so far beyond its original designs that it's become something very different now.

Maybe after I get done with all of this, I'll make a "basics" version of what I got, trying to roll it back to its original state.  (ofcourse I won't be taking credit for it)  but since it was free and so useful, I'd like to pay it forward.
Fuzz
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2009, 03:59:05 PM »

I wish I could, I can't find the original anymore online, and the copy I have has been mutated so far beyond its original designs that it's become something very different now.

Maybe after I get done with all of this, I'll make a "basics" version of what I got, trying to roll it back to its original state.  (ofcourse I won't be taking credit for it)  but since it was free and so useful, I'd like to pay it forward.
If you do that, I will be very grateful. Gentleman
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2009, 08:28:23 PM »

Doodletiem is fun!

which one is the real one? none!  Gimme your incarnations!

*runs back to work*
Fuzz
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »

For me he seems to be sort of an ephemeral, shaky version of the quintessential Metal Slug burly guy.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2009, 01:17:48 AM »

Stage 6, I'm still working on it!

Ohh, if only I could show you the prettier parts, but that would spoil the suprise!
shinymans
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2009, 03:44:13 AM »

this is actually the first time a 2d game managed to make me feel creeped out and unnerved, really nice work  Gentleman.
Tomato
Level 0

Boosh.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2009, 09:41:06 AM »

I liked this so much that it made me register an account! Wow!

AOOFAD looks really good, I can't wait for you to finish the rest of it. The fourth room with the humongous version of the normal tentacle enemy (that's my interpretation anyway) really pushed my expectations of how creepy things could get. I found myself faintly disgusted with its very presence, like it was some kind of cosmic horror along the lines of an H.P. Lovecraft creation. Considering how it also felt like just the tip of the iceberg for this game, I think this is a very good thing.

Kudos, and best of luck.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2009, 08:25:54 AM »

Just completed 2nd boss fight. Beat it a few times, winning doesn't make me feel any safer. Just a little more to go!!
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2009, 09:08:34 PM »

oh ssssssnap its so close i can taste it's brimstone stench!

here, have a peek

Oh that was a lame one, let me try again.

Any better?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 01:40:51 AM by Amon26 » Logged
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2009, 08:42:43 AM »

Really fantastic how you put this up so fast. Can't wait.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin
Tomato
Level 0

Boosh.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2009, 11:04:08 AM »

I'm looking forward to this so much.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic